Materion Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Materion

2.9

Staff Accountant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Brewster, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Materion (Brewster, NY) in June 2013.

Interview

Straight forward, nothing too challenging. Had 2 separate interviews. Wasn't a high pressure situation, more of a conversation explaining my experiences and how they can apply. Took a tour of the facility to get a better understanding of the business.

Internship Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Materion.

Interview

2 interviewers who took turns asking basic questions about you and why you chose Materion. It was very informal and the questions were very basic. Interview was comfortable and fairly easy.

Machine Operator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lincoln, RI

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Materion (Lincoln, RI) in April 2016.

Interview

Easy, laid back interview, as long as you show interest and demonstrate that you know what you are talking about then you should have no problem getting the job. I was interviewed by the human resource manager as well as one of the supervisors on the floor and taken around the plant for a quick tour.

Interview Questions

• What were some of things you learned from previous experiences?   1 Answer

Accountant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Materion.

Interview

The interviews, very relaxed, good people, nice, fun, have new a ton of insight into the company, went over process and procedures well, enjoyed the interview process a lot, best of luck to anyone else applying!

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Westford, MA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a week. I interviewed at Materion (Westford, MA) in January 2012.

Interview

Was interviewed by 3 different technical managers at separate times. Standard interview questions. Relatively informal feel, non-intimidating. Got a tour of the facility as well as a brief explanation of the job position and expected tasks. Questions tried to gauge familiarity with industry but weren't overly difficult. There was no test or quiz during the interview however an online personality/logic quiz was given prior.

Human Resources Generalist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Elmore, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Materion (Elmore, OH) in January 2019.

Interview

I was contacted via phone a week after applying for a screening/phone interview and was contacted a week following my phone interview to set up for a three hour in-person interview.

The first round of interviews the company followed the basic interview pattern that I see at a lot of places using behavioral based interview questions. The 2nd round of the interview also contained another set of scripted behavioral based interview questions. A lot of the questions were the same in the first & second round.

There wasn't much description of what the job entailed during the interview, I was just told that there were a few open positions that I was interviewing for. Though, they did thoroughly explain the fact that you had to change into work provided uniforms and shower daily.

The HR department seemed rather large for an agency of their size that could honestly be considerably cut down.

Interview Questions

• Give me a time of when you knew you made a mistake. How did you notice it? How did you correct it?   Answer Question
    • Give me a time when you noticed an employee/vendor acting unsafe. How did you bring attention and correct the situation?   Answer Question

Human Resources Generalist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Elmore, OH

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Materion (Elmore, OH) in May 2017.

Interview

The initial call made the company sound great a d while I researched online I initially had a good impression of the company. They then a few weeks later sent me four emails in order to sign up for a second round interview. I had to go through a safety training. I arrived fifteen minutes early and then waited until the interview time which is when they instructed me to put on the booties for my shoes and the blue outfit to cover my clothes. Then the person I interviewed with came and got me and brought me into a room with four people who were all in HR except one Operations Manager. They then informed me that they had scripted interview questions which were very bland and unoriginal and they simply took turns asking the questions and writing separate notes. It was very awkward and it seemed like they did not want to know anything about me. It was like spilling teeth to get them to give me any information about the position and when they did it was awful. They shot down ideas right away and made it seem like my HR role would be narrowed down to enforcing three rules. They told me I essentially had to recruit and do things the way they have always done them which seems like a slap in the face. Then they were kind of insulting about me having a beard because they were not allowed. Then they dropped the fact that you had to share company uniforms down to the underwear with everyone in the company which is gross and seems unneccesary when everyone could just be assigned their own personal attire. They seemed very disinterested in getting to know me. The HR Department seems well overstaffed and if the company hits hard times I am sure it could be cut in half and the same amount of work could be accomplished. Overall the interview was boring, unoriginal, scripted, unrehearsed, and lacked any way for them to gauge my abilities. It seemed like they are counting in their higher salary offerings to do the selling for them but they will soon find that they are struggling to recruit people younger than 30 for management positions. Then after all of that I was told that it would be the only interview then they wanted me to come on-site again to meet with someone who was on vacation the last time and that is when I rejected the invite. It seems like they are only looking for yes men that are poor leaders and will fit and follow it corporate mold instead of trying new things. And no amount of money is worth sharing underwear and giving up the ability to creatively solve problems.

Interview Questions

• My knowledge rated from 1-10 in several programs they use.   Answer Question

Project Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fremont, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Materion (Fremont, CA).

Interview

one general phone-screen interview, one phone interview with lead project engineer, then on-site interview with 5 people and a written test. Overall process took a few weeks. In phone interviews, they asked general questions and questions on my past projects, also about the design process

Plant Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Buffalo, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Materion (Buffalo, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

i was contacted by an executive recruiter. we went through the proverbial interview steps etc. it went well and i was passed on to the hiring manager for this role. this is where the niceities end.
    the gentleman was completely old school in his thinking and ways, and not only that, instead of conducting an actual interview, he'd rather play games. case in point: when i said i was good at financials, rather than ask me a computational question, he instead asked me a riddle. not only that, his complete focus on lean basics was not justified for this role. and him not knowing that already shows this plant is set up for a major fail. he thought he needed a plant manager with a solid foundation of lean, but what he really needed is a lean manager with a solid understanding of plant management practices. when i tried to explain my past lean projects with him, he interrupted and said i sounded like i was reading off a paper? not only that, when i changed the tone of the interview and choose to ask about the types of unit operations involved in manufacturing at the plant, he couldn't answer me? so you have over 30 years in plant management and you cant answer a simple question as how you manufacture your product?
    needless to say the interview didnt go well and i feel i dodged a major bullet.
    this is the second time i interviewed with this company. the first time, many years earlier it was for a sr process engineering position in the same location. that interview didn't go well either as that particular hiring manager had a really cavalier and jerk like attitude.
    this is definitely not a company culturally i would want to work for.
    antiquated technology with poor cultural values.

Interview Questions

• "you are good at financials? if i have 100 hammers that cost a .10 each how much are each of the hammers?"   1 Answer

Credit Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, OH

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Materion (Cleveland, OH) in January 2019.

Interview

easy going - straight forward - i thought was the typical process nothing out of the ordinary. Typical phone screening and 1:1. Couldn't have been more organized or laid back. think could have been longer

Interview Questions

• what do you think is important for your job and our company   1 Answer