Media Matters for America Interview Questions | Glassdoor

3.8

Interviews for Top Jobs at Media Matters for America

Issue Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Media Matters for America (Washington, DC).

Interview

I applied online via an email listed on the jobs section on the MMFA website. The position was for a researcher with one of their issue teams.

Three days after submitting a résumé and cover letter, I received an email from one of their assistants asking if I was interested in interviewing. I responded affirmatively and was promptly invited for a face to face appointment with one of the issue directors the following week.

The interview lasted about an hour and covered the responsibilities of the position as well as my past experiences. Questions included providing a hypothetical response to an incident of misinformation as well as your main source of news. During the conversation, the interviewer also outlined the selection process consisted of three steps, an initial interview (which was taking place), a timed writing test to assess writing and analytical skills, and a follow up interview before the final selection is made.

The next day, I wrote a short note to the interviewer thanking them for their time. Approximately one week later, I received a short email - from the assistant who initially reached out to me - expressing appreciation for my participation in the process and that I was no longer being considered.

Interview Questions

• What are you currently reading for pleasure?   1 Answer
    • What is your main source of news?   1 Answer
    • Provide an example of misinformation and how you would respond to it.   1 Answer

Researcher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Media Matters for America (Washington, DC) in October 2012.

Interview

I did several phone and in-person interviews with increasingly senior Media Matters staff over the course of several months for multiple positions. Everyone was extremely engaged and responded within a few days to each application, but it still was a repetitive process.

I was asked to perform a writing test for two of the positions to which I applied.

Media Matters seemed to emphasize progressive bona fides and a strong policy conviction.

Interview Questions

• How frequently do you visit MediaMatters.org?   Answer Question
    • What progressive policies matter to you the most and why? How has Media Matters dealt with that issue?   Answer Question

Communications Associate Interview

Application

I interviewed at Media Matters for America in July 2012.

Interview

Submitted a resume and cover letter and had an in-person interview. Interview consisted of two people asking me questions as well as going over the job specifics. It become a fairly free wheeling conversation after a bit. Asked me what book I had read most recently, as well as what superpower I would choose if I could.

Interview Questions

• Just be prepared for questions that are a bit un-orthodox.   1 Answer

Writer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Media Matters for America (Washington, DC) in December 2011.

Interview

Intensive requirements with no courtesy of response! They had me come into the office twice, and prompted me to write multiple pieces under time limits. After all of that, they never contacted me to tell me I didn't get the job.

Interview Questions

• Where do you get your news? (This question wasn't difficult, but it caught me off-guard, especially since I didn't have a unique response prepared for it.)   1 Answer