Milken Institute Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Milken Institute Interview Questions

Updated Sep 3, 2016

2.6

Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Milken Institute.

Interview

Great people and I meant with different people within the particular area I will work. The interview took place at the Santa Monica location, which is a great location. Everyone was respectful, courteous, and friendly...great vibes.

Interview Questions

• explaining what was on my resume and how I will fit the organization   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Interview

I was asked to elaborate on my past projects in graduate school. Questions are asked in details. As a typical think tank, they care more about your qualitative research experience and editorial skills

Associate Director Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Milken Institute.

Interview

Phone Interview followed by an extensive face to face interview with key department staff. Interviewers were very nice overall but I noticed that there was a slight disconnect between the person who would serve as my direct supervisor and his/her boss.
    I.e. The direct supervisor had a specific understanding of the department needs and could accurately access whether or not my skill sets were relevant to the position. His/Her boss only had a broad understanding of the org as a whole and how the department that was hiring fit into the "big picture" however he/she failed to have enough expertise in the specific department that was hiring to ask relevant questions which caused some confusion.

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Milken Institute (Santa Monica, CA).

Interview

Meet with the Executive Director, Managing Director and Associate Director. I was told that I would be supporting the Executive Director, and if time permitted, the Managing Director and Associate Director. Normal as an interview goes.

Interview Questions

• There were no questions that I was not expecting. It was a normal interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was not much of a negotiation. I needed a job.

Communications Department Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Milken Institute (Santa Monica, CA) in December 2014.

Interview

Two rounds of in-person interviews with a ton of people including senior management. People I would have worked with (researchers, comms dept) had clearly prepared and had relevant, intelligent questions. Upper management interviews were more philosophical, a bit impersonal but courteous overall. Had to do an extensive take-home writing test that was very time consuming and a bit much for the skills they're trying to assess. I spent hours on it only to be told I didn't seem to have spent enough time on it. Learned the position had been open quite a while as direct supervisor seemed picky. There's also some tension between the comms dept and the researchers wrt mutual respect. Ultimately I declined the offer because 1) they only offered to match my current salary 2) I didn't like direct supervisor's temper and short attitude

Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Milken Institute in September 2014.

Interview

Submitted resume and cover letter through email. Prompt response from direct supervisor. Phone interview consisted of going through the experiences I had listed on my resume. Interview questions were basic and the interviewer was the direct supervisor. Interviewer was most interested in how well I could handle independent work. Slightly unprofessional followup.

Interview Questions

• Are you comfortable with being an independent worker, experiences as a self-starter, etc.   Answer Question

N/A Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Milken Institute (Santa Monica, CA).

Interview

protracted unstructured meetings with interviewers being late often, appearing to be busy.

Economist/Research Analyst Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Milken Institute in July 2013.

Interview

Given the breadth of research conducted at MI, I was looking forward to discussing opportunities for researchers. I was interviewed by three different levels of staff, including management and senior researchers. Many of the questions were quite specific, as in "what approach would you take in evaluating minimum wage laws," while others were generic, discussing background and interests.

Interview Questions

• Posed by a junior analyst: "If you and I were collaborating on a project, what role would you take?"   Answer Question

N/A Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Milken Institute (Santa Monica, CA).

Interview

The interview process was extremely tedious, especially as someone who is currently employed.

First was a phone interview, followed by an in-person interview, both conducted by the person would be my direct supervisor. (My interview was rescheduled twice)

Following the two interviews I given skills tests and a writing sample to complete (due within three days but I asked for an extension because it was emailed to me an hour before I was leaving town for the weekend).

I was then asked to come in for the next round of interviews which would entail meeting 2-3 people from every department which took roughly 3 hours. In total, I probably met about 11-12 people. Some were very nice, others clearly were only there because they had to.

The three interviews resulted in me leaving work early three times (once unnecessarily because my interviewer double booked me) and having to take a full day off for the long interview. I sent thank you notes to every person I met the next day and followed up twice more over the next month or so and never got a response from anyone.

The person who would have been my interviewer was extremely nice but it was disappointing to not get a response.

I don't mind not being selected, I just think that if people are going to take time off from work and are interested in working for your company they should be given the courtesy of a "thanks, but no thanks."

Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Milken Institute (Santa Monica, CA) in November 2011.

Interview

I landed a phone interview with a research director that liked my credentials. That went well. I had a phone interview a week later with an upper who inquired very little about my background. I sent in writing samples, followed up with research director, and never heard back. A strange and unproductive experience similar to others here.

Interview Questions

• Could you provide some additional policy-related writing samples (as they are very important to the hiring process)?   1 Answer