NSF Interview Questions | Glassdoor

NSF Interview Questions

Updated Jun 7, 2017

2.6

Program Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at NSF in December 2016.

Interview

thorough interview, briefing on background, must have knowledge of agency and responsibilities, should have experience in the science setting and knowledge of current events, need to be familiar with grant process, must know duties of department that you're applying to enter

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at NSF (Arlington, VA) in August 2016.

Interview

After being selected by from USAJobs.gov:
    1. 30 min phone interview: basic interview, tell me about yourself, resume, why you want to work here
    2. Interview with direct manager (30 min)
    3. Interview with co-workers/panel (30 min)
    4. Interview with senior manager (30 min)
    5. Send portfolio
    6. Fill out paper work, initial background check (if job offered)
    7. Sign offer, create work schedule

Senior Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a week. I interviewed at NSF (Washington, DC) in October 2015.

Interview

I Applied through Recuiter, Process took 1 week. I had Phone Screening with three members: 2 were technical , 1 was manager. They are mainly focusing on Performance Tool. They Need Answers In digits with example. To crack this interview u'll definetly need real time experience. I got good experience with interview.

Interview Questions

• 1. Instances in your Project?
      2. How did you improve your performance of your web page? time take before and after?
      3.What type of server Engine you have used? Tomcat ?
      4. Performance tool ? How did you do concurrency test?
      5. Structs 1?
      6.Architecture Of Project?
      7.Production Support?
      8. Version Control tool: SVN and GIT? How did maintain versions?
      Answer Question

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at NSF.

Interview

I was interviewed by a panel of 6 people. They all asked thoughtful questions and were very engaging. The whole process felt like a relaxed formal conversation. I have to write at least thirty more words here. It's silly that they can tell me how many more words I have to write, but they won't put a little counter next to the dialogue box that counts down until I've met the requirement.

Interview Questions

• I don't want to tell any specific questions. If you get the opportunity to interview with NSF, your responses should be organic to that conversation.   Answer Question

NSF REU Program Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at NSF in March 2015.

Interview

Submitted resume and cover letter to the program in December. I also filled out a form on the website specifying my GPA, previous courses, etc. I heard back in a month and a half that I was accepted into the program. I replied that I would accept the position and they promptly sent me paperwork to fill out.

Writer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at NSF.

Interview

I was interviewed in person by two managers at the same time. One was the second-level supervisor of the unit I was interviewing for and the other was head of public affairs/media relations.

Interview Questions

• The senior interviewer: head of legislative affairs was very conscientious in the interview and asked intelligent and wide-ranging questions and engaged me in a relaxed conversational exchange. The other interviewer, head of public affairs, was oddly passive and disengaged and had no questions.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at NSF (Arlington, VA) in September 2014.

Interview

Received call for phone interview set for the very next day. Was given a code to contact them with an 800 #. Was set with three ladies on conference call but really couldn't hear them clearly because I was on speaker. I really wished they picked up the phone to ask a question

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your current position , and what is it's size?   1 Answer
    • Is there anything about yourself that you did not put on your resume?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Haven't heard back yet as it was on 9-9-14 and today is only the 15th of September

Program Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at NSF.

Interview

The hiring process is not fair. They recruit more from peace corp and the pathways program. If you come to BIO you will undergo a gruling process that will last all day. You will also have to do a skills assesment along with a work sample.

Design and Publishing Section Head Interview

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at NSF (Arlington, VA) in April 2014.

Interview

The interviewing process consisted of two interviews, a phone interview and in-person panel interview. The phone interview was a comprehensive and thorough Q&A session: the questions were well-balanced drawing on technical and management experiences behavior based. I was confident in my answers and enjoyed the phone interview that extended beyond the proposed 45 minutes.

The in-person interview consisted of a three-person panel interview in a small office where I felt most comfortable because of the layout: small round table with four chairs. I was asked nine to eleven questions total that were both technical and management related. I was most impressed with answers to the questions I had during the process of interviewing with NSF management. Overall, it was a great exchange of information leaving me feeling even more confident and enthusiastic about working at the National Science Foundation.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation because I'm already government employee - there is a standard pay increase based on a formula to allow for a two step pay increase between grades

NSF REU Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at NSF (Fairfax, VA) in April 2014.

Interview

Interview was done through Skype. Unfortunately the connection was terrible throughout the entire call and I had a hard time hearing what they asked. Although it was an awkward barrier, I politely asked them to repeat their last sentence, even multiple times until I could clearly understand what they were asking. My interviewers were very cooperative in trying to make the situation better, and we were able to eventually finish the interview.

The interview itself was pretty basic. They asked me about myself and my resume. They moved onto asking me solving questions related to what their field of research was specifically (Spatiotemporal Innovation).

Interview Questions

• How would you design a program to model climate change?   Answer Question