Oceana Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 7, 2017

2.3

Social Media Strategist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Oceana (Washington, DC) in February 2017.

Interview

The people are great and seem nice. Unfortunately they don't have a good process when it comes to interviewing. The manager asked me in the phone screen what my salary expectations were and then proceeded to go through with an in-person interview (I had to submit a writing test as well). They don't like to have you coming back for multiple interviews but that also means you have to come in for about 3 hours and meet with what seems to be the entire company. They are pleasant to talk to. The manager said she would get back to me by the end of the week but actually didn't get back to me until a full 12 days later. She then said that unfortunately she could only afford to have someone for about 40K less than what I was asking for because they are a non-profit. Which I would of understood if we hadn't talked about salary in the initial phone screen. I was a bit confused as to why they would waste time on both sides. Long interview but way off on salary. If you interview here just know they are vastly underpaid with little perks to make up for it. Also, if you drive in, you'll be paying over $20 in parking because street parking limits are for 2 hours. Don't waste you time. Even when I made sure we talked about salary, they knew they couldn't afford me and still had me come in.

Interview Questions

• They mostly want to see how you work with others. Your working style and what you look for in a manager.   Answer Question

Marine Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Oceana in February 2016.

Interview

3 interviews: 1 phone interview, 1:1, and group interview. Easy questions and very friendly staff, however it seems as they don´t communicate very well among the team, since questions were asked over and over

Interview Questions

• Why would you like to work for Oceana? Why am I qualified for this position? Background information about my career and studies.   Answer Question

Legal Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Oceana (Washington, DC) in October 2015.

Interview

After submitting CV, resume, etc. I received a phone interview. The interviewer was the existing fellow. He did not seem very interested, and was your typical law school grad. He asked standard interview questions.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in working here?   1 Answer

Climate Change Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Oceana in July 2015.

Interview

It was surprisingly pleasant! The current intern for the program was tasked to find a replacement, so it was the intern who conducted the phone interview. The position is hired on a rolling basis, so I wasn't contacted until two months after I applied. One day, I received an e-mail from the intern asking for a quick chat about my interest for the position. The intern first asked about my background and interest in working for the organization. Then the intern asked if I was comfortable with the salary range and responsibilities of the intern position (aka deal breakers).

Interview Questions

• Why did you apply to Oceana and in particular to this program?   Answer Question

Science Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Oceana (Washington, DC) in June 2015.

Interview

I got interviewed for the position by two women consecutively (both of which were not in touch with me before). They were both very nice and asked mostly the regular interview questions. However, they said they would contact me the following week, but they did not. They contacted me 2 weeks after the date that they said they would...

Interview Questions

• Are you cofortable doing cold calls? (They do not have databases that are accessible to do the necessary research that is expected from a Science Fellow, so papers have to be acquired directly from the researchers who authored the papers)   1 Answer

Rather Not Say Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Oceana (Washington, DC) in May 2015.

Interview

Phone interview. No fluff. No icebreakers. One of the more difficult interviews. It was rather intense. Every question was to put you on the spot. Be prepared for follow-up questions for your answers. Be ORGANIZED.

Interview Questions

• Asked about certain things on resume. Follow-up questions aimed to throw you off. It was intense, but I think it was just the person.   Answer Question

Summer Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Oceana (Cambridge, MA) in May 2013.

Interview

I filled out a simple online application and received a call within 2 weeks. Interview was stress-free, basic questions like "why do you want to work here" and "what do you study in school?" My boss (the Oceana campaign coordinator for the entire Northeast) was very flexible with when I began work, so long as I worked for at least 3 months.