One Acre Fund Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 21, 2017

3.5

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at One Acre Fund (New York, NY) in August 2017.

Interview

Phone interview for 1 hr 15 minutes. One case study and one practical test re problem solving. In depth asked for examples on leadership roles. The process was very thorough and I am waiting for step 2. The initial response was immediately after I applied.

Interview Questions

• Why did I apply for the role   1 Answer

Program Associate Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at One Acre Fund.

Interview

While it's a slow interview process as others have mentioned, it is very transparent - the HR team member was clear and upfront about what to expect at each stage of the interview process from the beginning. They acknowledged that it's a slow process, but also noted that if a candidate needed to change the pace at which the process was taking place, they should indicate that and the OAF team would do their best to accommodate.

Interview Questions

• Describe the goals associated with a leadership position you've occupied, how you planned and executed actions to achieve those goals, and what the results achieved were.   Answer Question

Impact Ventures Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at One Acre Fund (New York, NY).

Interview

I was first contacted and interviewed by a recruiter in New York, then asked to interview with a country director in the country I would be working in. The interviews were conversational and easy to participate in. In each interview I was given a scenario, where I was asked to brainstorm and come up with at least 3-5 things I would do to either change a system problem, or manage a project/team. The interviews tended to last around 1 hour, and weren't really about the job I was applying for, but more about team management, project management, and leadership.

Interview Questions

• I was given a scenario and asked to list things I would change immediately, as if it needed to be done the next day, and then things I would do to create a more systematic change down the road.   Answer Question

US Special Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at One Acre Fund (New York, NY) in June 2017.

Interview

I heard back in less than a week after applying. I set up a Skype phone interview with the HR Manager a few days later and had a lengthy conversation. The interview lasted about 40 minutes with about 6 or 7 questions and time to ask questions at the end of our conversation. The woman interviewing me was extremely nice and conversational and I felt comfortable throughout the entire interview process. There were a few difficult questions, but nothing someone experienced for the position would have a difficult time with. I talked to her about One Acre Fund and her role in the organization after she was done asking me questions and I felt good after the interview and the answers I had provided. The interview took place on a Monday and I was told I'd hear back on Friday if I would move on to the next round of phone interviews. I didn't hear back on Friday, but I did hear back on Monday saying I was not chosen to move on to the next round.

Interview Questions

• Describe 2-3 specific leadership experiences, including what you did, how you did it, and results.   Answer Question
    • A hypothetical situation where as holding the position, you're faced with three tasks. Prioritize the tasks and explain why you decided to tackle them in that order.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at One Acre Fund (New York, NY) in May 2017.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted shortly thereafter for a telephone interview. I thought the questions were fairly easy. I come from a consulting background and a top university, so there was nothing that was too difficult or obscure. However, the interviewer was not very engaging except for the occasional positive feedback he provided (which, apparently, was not true). There was one question where I asked for a minute to think about before responding, which he begrudgingly agreed to (mind you, he even said that I can think about it for a minute...). For those of you who also have a consulting background, this is a common practice in Big 5 interviews - you jot down a few notes then talk through your strategy. However, he began to huff and puff over the phone, so I just started answering to help settle him down. When it was my turn to ask questions, he seemed annoyed that one of the questions came off as too difficult for him (it really wasn't difficult - I was simply aiming to get a pulse on the culture). The same day that I received the rejection, I received (and accepted) an offer from a prestigious NGO with a much higher base salary. Honestly, I wasn't sure what to expect with OAF but I was left with a very bad taste in my mouth. I have never left a Glassdoor review, but I feel compelled to warn others. If your qualifications can take you somewhere better, don't bother. Also, all the talk about how many applicants they receive and such really had my eyes rolling!

Program Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at One Acre Fund.

Interview

It's a very slow application process. I dropped out at the second stage and it was still a few months. It's the same as any other rigorous application process but they take a lot longer to do it. They come off as pretty disorganized to me with poor communication. Not the kind of place I would want to work for.

Interview Questions

• A tree planting case study, which everyone else has mentioned.   Answer Question

Finance Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at One Acre Fund (New York, NY) in February 2017.

Interview

I was contacted shortly after submitting an application. Overall, it is a standard interview process, just with more rounds and more waiting between the rounds. Two phone interviews, one timed practical assessment, and one day-long, in-person 4th round interview.

Overall, the interviews themselves were very positive and interesting. I enjoyed everyone I met with and the team seems very strong. However, the reality of a 4-month interview process is that you lose momentum. After the 4th round interview, I had to wait 6 weeks (yes, 6!) to hear back. And the rejection came in a generic email. After investing so much time, a phone call with feedback would have been more appropriate.

My advice to interviewees: do not stop applying elsewhere! I can't stress that enough. I am grateful I continued to apply to other organizations, and was able to progress through two entire interview processes with great organizations and receive another job offer within the final month I was waiting to hear back from OAF.

Interview Questions

• Lots of situation-based questions depending on the role you apply for.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at One Acre Fund (New York, NY).

Interview

Long interview process, with 2 phone interviews, one timed written practical assessment and culminating in a trip to their field offices for an in-person interview. In total, the process took about 4 months. Requires response to many different hypothetical questions.

Program Associate Interview

Interview

Got an email to interview me from a different position (program associate) than the one I applied to. I was glad to hear from them, but felt the program associate role was much too junior. I don't buy the explanation that they train you and promote you quickly. That is not how most companies (for profit or nonprofit) work. You don't need to indoctrinate me in order to get my best work out of me. The first interview was with HR - it was weird. Felt no connection whatsoever with the interviewer. Like being questioned by a computer. Second was with a senior staff member in the field. That one went better. Still I was relieved when they did not ask me back for a 3rd interview. Though it really is annoying to get that email saying they receive thousands of applications. OAF is not McKinsey.

Interview Questions

• Why OAF. Question about how you handle criticism.   1 Answer

M&E Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Interview

It was pleasant and encouraging. The interviewer did seem to be reading off a list of questions. The first half focused on leadership and behavioural questions. The second half focused on a case study.