Royal Air Force Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Royal Air Force Interview Questions

Updated Jun 23, 2017

3.4

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Royal Air Force in March 2011.

Interview

easy peasey. walked in, did an aptitude test, and after a while got a personal interview where they told me I could apply for any trade. the interviewer was friendly and steered me away from the worst trades, I would love to re join, would recommend to any young person.

RAF Police NCO Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sheffield, England (UK)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Royal Air Force (Sheffield, England (UK)).

Interview

Very long process, including vetting and interview times, then often have to wait for the trade to become available and for a slot on to basic training. I started the process by attending the Careers Office and showing interest. I then had to complete aptitude tests and medical health checks and fitness tests. Once these were completed I was given a formal interview. This lasted approximately 1 hr 30 mins with one interviewer.

Interview Questions

• Current operations of Armed Forces, show examples of life experience, teamwork, leadership etc.   1 Answer

Pilot Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Royal Air Force.

Interview

They ask about your life history from secondary school to now, with emphasis on spare time activities. The questions on this are not in themselves very difficult but it's done in a really quickfire way with answers being cut off after a sentence or two so under the pressure it's easy to forget things, and it can seem a bit impersonal. They're especially interested in how you keep fit and what you do/have done in your community.

They also want to see a good knowledge of the RAF (operations, aircraft, etc) and especially the training. Candidates are also expected to have sufficient knowledge of 10 current affairs topics (5 UK and 5 global) so you can have a mini debate on two of them with the interviewer playing devil's advocate and expecting you to justify your opinions. Knowledge of NATO is also a big must.

Finally they want to see knowledge of the RAF's values and of the qualities that officers must possess and your understanding of what this means in practice.

A really nice feature is that they give you results and feedback on the day after about 20 minutes. So if you don't get through they will give you plenty of advice and let you try again further down the line, or if you do get through the feedback is really useful in preparing for the second interview.

Interview Questions

• Would you be prepared to kill someone or order your team to kill someone? What if this turned out to be a mistake?   Answer Question

Engineering Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cardiff, Wales (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 7+ months. I interviewed at Royal Air Force (Cardiff, Wales (UK)) in June 2016.

Interview

Consisted for four stages which are P2 presentation, Filter Interview, Medical and finally OASC. Before these stages need to fill an online application which does take some time and require all ur personal informations and also qualification informations.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiations due to high application rates.

Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grantham, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 8+ months. I interviewed at Royal Air Force (Grantham, England (UK)) in January 2016.

Interview

1. Online application
    2. Presentation
    3. Filter Interview
    4. Medical
    5. Psychometric assessments

2.5 days assessment centre)
    Day 1
    3. Group hangar exercise
    4. Individual / command hangar exercise
    5. Individual Planning exercise
    Day 3
    (If you are unsuccessful at day 2)
    1. You're brief on your performance and then you go home
    (If you are successful)
    6. Final interview conducted by 2 officers
    7. Fitness test

NB: Prepare your mind for a process which could take between 5 months - a year.

Interview Questions

• Why the RAF and not the Navy?
      Tell us about our current operations?
      Tell us about 5 current affairs topics you've seen in the news recently?
      Achievements at school, work, local community or sports?
      Do you understand the armed forces drug policy?
      Why do you want to be an officer?
      Why do you want to be [insert role] officer?
      Do you have family who've been in the military?
      Random other questions about yourself...

NB: Make sure you're sincere in your motivations and know you're personal history (including secondary school). If you've gone past the filter interview stage you've got what it takes.   Answer Question

Employee Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cranwell, England (UK)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Royal Air Force (Cranwell, England (UK)).

Interview

You arrive at RAF College Cranwell and are allocated overnight accommodation. You then meet other candidates. You then go to a big hangar and are put through a series of team exercises assessing various attributes. You then go to a room with computers and your aptitude is tested for various roles, then you go and have a medical where they test you suitability. Finally you have an interview with at least 2 people where they ask you why you want to join etc...

RAF Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cranwell, England (UK)

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Royal Air Force (Cranwell, England (UK)).

Interview

3 day selection process. A combination of group and individual work including interviews, group discussions, leadership tasks and exercises. Interviewers don't give much away and it's relatively hard to know how you're doing.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about current affairs?   1 Answer

Officer Cadet Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Royal Air Force.

Interview

Apply at Uni careers fair, attend short 10 minute informal interview, fill out an application form then invited for longer 40 minute interview. Second interview has two halves, first half is personal achievements and second half is on your military knowledge and opinions on world issues. Just make sure you shave and brush up on your knowledge of NATO, the RAF and some current affairs - they ask you to discuss headlines within the past year.

RAF Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lincoln, England (UK)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Royal Air Force (Lincoln, England (UK)) in November 2013.

Interview

Selection interview followed by attitude testing and for the interviewing and physical tests before you are streamed for a particular role in branch within the air force you then offered a commission for undertaking initial training. Initial training last 6 to 9 months before you receive a commission has enough so you then go to professional training which can vary from three months to 6 years after this you then continue to receive special on the job training and continuation training throughout your career

Interview Questions

• What newspapers do you read   1 Answer

RAF Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Liverpool, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Royal Air Force (Liverpool, England (UK)).

Interview

The recruiting process was conducted at the specialist careers office

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Not applicable to this employer