Scottish Government Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Scottish Government Interview Questions

Updated Apr 26, 2017

2.4

Senior Content Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Scottish Government (Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)) in May 2016.

Interview

Application form was very detailed and asked for evidence for each criteria using the starr format. It took around 6 weeks for them to offer an interview, which took place 2 months after closing date. The interview was a 10 minute presentation followed by panel interview. They broke the questions into 2 sections, which seemed the same to me. Same questions in different guises, probably because the job was quite a narrow scope.
    The feedback i got was laughable. Very disrespectful of the effort put into the application process. It was 3 short sentences from an hr person who wasnt on the panel. The first 2 sentences complimented my choice of powerpoint template and the fact i printed handouts. Seriously?? The last sentence gave me advice to develop analysis skills, which wasnt part of the job spec and wasn't raised during the interview. I also gave excellent examples of analysis in the presentation and hold the highest qualification so the feedback was completely unhelpful. Ps i now work as a senior analyst.

Interview Questions

• tell me about a time when the goal posts shifted and how that made you feel.   Answer Question

European Policy Support Role Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Scottish Government (Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)) in February 2016.

Interview

It was a standard application form application (with quite a few competency based questions). At the interview, you had to take a 1 and a half hr in-tray assessment. The test seemed not to be extremely related to the position (at least judging from the job description and what I had heard and researched). You had to fill out the test by paper, which meant spending quite a bit of the time drafting emails (which in real life (i.e. using a computer) is obviously a lot faster for most people).
    For the interview, I had to prepare a 5 min presentation. The presentation was followed by a few questions about the topic of the presentation and then a few competency based questions.
    I thought the process was quite straightforward, although their focus on competency-based questions could be substituted by a few strengths-based questions (the usual competency-based questions of "give me one example of a time when..." have some limitations in my opinion).

Interview Questions

• Could you tell us about a time when you had to collaborate with others to achieve a common goal and how you organised the collaboration?   Answer Question

IT Administrator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Scottish Government (Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)) in April 2014.

Interview

All the communication were via email. Relatively relaxed interview, the interviewers were nice, easy-going. The questions were typical interview questions and competency based questions. They have refreshment prepared. The offer took quite some time and the security clearance.

Administration Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Scottish Government (Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)) in June 2013.

Interview

Sent from agency, Competency test given. Review of CV. Felt a little rushed and not very thorough as they were busy and under staffed at the time. Very friendly and encouraging and honest about looking for staff who could work on initiative as they had a large work load. Seemed more interested in my personality than work skills perhaps. Due to working in an open plan space where cooperation is imperative.

Interview Questions

• Was I reliable and good with computer's. Asked about my nature as a person.   1 Answer

I Year Interview

Anonymous Employee in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Scottish Government (Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)) in January 2013.

Interview

Invited for an interview a month after applying. Straight forward 20 minute interview, with a small panel of 3 people. Offer for job came after 2 weeks. Had to obtain a basic disclosure (background check for working in Government) before starting.

Interview Questions

• Can you tell us about a project you've done at university that required teamwork?
      What experience of Java do you have?   Answer Question