Seattle Public Schools Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Seattle Public Schools

2.6

Policy Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Seattle Public Schools (Seattle, WA) in July 2017.

Interview

I submitted an online application and received an email one week later to set up an interview. The interview was in front of a panel of four people. There was a sheet of paper with 10 questions, and you had 30 minutes to answer them. It overall felt relaxed and conversational. A few days later I got a notification that I made it through to the next round, where you had to write a response to a sample email that you might receive in the position. You had two or three days to write your response and submit it to them. I heard back from them approximately 3 weeks later that I was not offered the position.

Interview Questions

• Standard questions about your strengths and weaknesses, why you're interested in this job, etc.   Answer Question

Special Education Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Seattle Public Schools (Seattle, WA) in September 2014.

Interview

There were five current staff from Assistant Principal to Special Education and General Education teachers on the panel. Really informal, no need to dress up. I overdressed and felt uncomfortable at first with my tie and slacks. Really conversational and they hand you out a sheet with the questions they will ask you while you wait in the lounge. Really polite and friendly committee members. There were never any awkward pauses of moments of silence. Really engaging, informal and conversational in style.

Interview Questions

• What is something that Seattle Public Schools would miss by not hiring you?   Answer Question

Administrative Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Seattle Public Schools in January 2015.

Interview

Principal told me I had the job and was welcome to join the team pending a reference check. References cleared only to tell me the job went to another candidate (when I was led to believe I got the job once my references were checked). They score your interview and references and the position goes to the person that scored higher. They need to make it clear if there are still other candidates in the process, and not tell you that you have the job pending the reference check if that's not 100% the case. Found the process and candor to be disappointing.

Interview Questions

• How can you make students, community, parents, etc. feel informed and included in school events?   Answer Question

Administrative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Seattle Public Schools (Seattle, WA) in January 2019.

Interview

Way too short, 4 questions and not a friendly face to expand on the questions that were asked. The room was tense full of people, but only one person asked 4 questions and the people taking notes looked scared to say anything. Walked out feeling weird about the whole thing.

Interview Questions

• 4 basic management questions, with no follow up if this is what they were looking for or not. The interview felt tense from the get go.   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Seattle Public Schools (Seattle, WA) in May 2013.

Interview

I had an email invitation to interview, then was asked to submit a number of items via email for the interview team to review. Upon review I was offered an in person interview. In the in person I was interviewed by 8 people for 50 minutes. A few days later I had a phone interview with the principal.

Teacher, Kindergarten Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Seattle Public Schools (Seattle, WA) in August 2013.

Interview

I moved from a different state and didn't know much about the hiring process beforehand. After working in the district for a few years, I now understand the process. The district has three hiring phases—first phase starting around April. The first two phases are for internal hires only. They did not start posting jobs for external hires on the district website until about a month before school started. The process moves very quickly from here. At this point most of the jobs that were posted were in low-income schools in the South End of Seattle. I applied for all the F/T positions I qualified for. You apply to each individual job and submit an individualized cover letter to each job. I also looked up the principal's email address on the school website and sent a more personal, direct email to each of them asking for their consideration. The principal reviews it and calls candidates in for interviews. I started getting calls from several schools (about 6) in one week. I went to the interview and there is a hiring team. I've been in on interviews that had anywhere from 4-7 people. They are allowed to give you the questions 15 min. before your interview so that you have a chance to think of answers, take notes, and prepare. So go to the interview early! The interviews work on a points system. Each person interviewing has been through a hiring training. They score you on each of your answers and they typically hire the person/people ranked the highest. The night of my interview I got a call from the principal telling me I got the job, and asking if I would accept it. She called me ASAP because she was worried I would accept another offer. I applied and interviewed for a second grade position, but it turns out they had a Kindergarten position opening up and it wasn't yet posted. So she asked which position I would prefer. My experience was in primary grades so I said kindergarten. I had to go back in an do an informal interview, as part of the required process, but it was assumed that I had the job.

Interview Questions

• How to differentiate instruction? What do I have to offer the diverse population of ELLs and low-income families of the school? What does my reading instruction look like? I was given a sample of a student's writing and asked why my next steps would be to help this particular child improve.   Answer Question

School Nurse Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Seattle Public Schools (Seattle, WA) in August 2015.

Interview

BEWARE!! DO NOT apply for ESA certificate, pay for FBI fingerprints, or register for ESA classes until you have a job offer in writing from HR!!

In the interview I was asked a series of questions by a panel of school nurses. I was told in the interview to apply for the ESA certificate and to do the FBI fingerprint screening ASAP. I got a call the following week with a voice mail stating "welcome to the team!" When I returned the call to accept the offer, I was told again to do the FBI fingerprint screening and apply for the ESA certificate ASAP! I followed these instructions and began the process immediately. When I went to the HR office to do my FBI fingerprints, I asked "Is this a good sign? The fact that I was able to schedule this appointment?" The HR lady was like, "What do you mean?!" I explained that I had not received an offer letter but was told by the nurse manager to do my FBI fingerprints and apply for the ESA certification ASAP. The HR lady told me that "they" are not supposed to have you do any of that until after an official job offer is made. She explained to me that the fees involved (about $600 = $68 for ESA cert + $529 for ESA classes + $46.25 for fingerprints) is NON REFUNDABLE!

I assured her that I had received an offer via a voice mail left by the assistant nurse manager and I was confident that I was being offered a job... The following week I received an e-mail stating that I was not selected for the position. When I inquired with the nurse manager, WHY? They told me that my references and application material "did not check out." On the voice mail with job offer she stated that "my references were great!"

Interview Questions

• How my previous work experience would relate to school nursing.   3 Answers

School Nurse Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Seattle Public Schools.

Interview

Upon arrival, you're given a list of questions to review and take notes before the interview begins. Anywhere from 3-5 nurses can be in the room, management, peers, other people in the health services dept. Each person takes a turn asking a Q and they write their answers. Very casual and friendly. Then you have an opportunity to ask Qs back at the end.

Interview Questions

• The school community is racial diverse, how does your past experience prepare you to work with people from all different backgrounds?   Answer Question

Secretary Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Seattle Public Schools.

Interview

Asked several questions about my administrative skills and my experience.

Instructional Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Seattle Public Schools (Seattle, WA) in August 2012.

Interview

Very easy. This job is very difficult to fill because they pay isn't spectacular and the field of special education can burn you out. For that reason, the interview is meant to make sure you are interested for the right reasons, passionate about working with kids, and won't bail when a kid hits your or you have to change someone.

Interview Questions

• What would be your reaction if a student became physically violent with you?   1 Answer

Negotiation

None