Summer Search Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Summer Search Interview Questions

3.2

Development Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Summer Search.

Interview

There was a three part interview process. The first was a phone screening, the second a 1:1 meeting, and the third more of a group interview. There was a great level of care taken in recognizing my talents and transferable skills, which was refreshing. It was a positive experience overall.

Interview Questions

Summer Search Response

Apr 11, 2016 – National Senior Director of Talent Acquisition

Thanks for this feedback on the interview process. I'm glad to hear that you had a positive experience. Best, Dana Hagenbuch National Senior Director of Talent Acquisition Summer Search

Bay Area Senior Development Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Summer Search (San Francisco, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

I recently interviewed for the Bay Area Senior Development Associate position at Summer Search in San Francisco. The interview process was thorough and very professional. After submitting my application online I heard from the National Senior Director of Talent Acquisition who scheduled a preliminary phone interview with me. This interview went well as the questions asked were on point and very much focused on my past work experience to determine if I could be a good fit for the position I applied for. I was then brought in for two additional interviews: first to meet with the hiring managers and then to meet with the rest of the Bay Area Development team. Both of these experiences were excellent, as the team was very prepared and I felt the questioning went smoothly.
    Everyone was very gracious and friendly and I could not have been happier with my interview experience at Summer Search. Although I did not get the job, I left the process feeling good about each step of the way and happy to have learned more about Summer Search and their incredible education advocacy.

Interview Questions

• Most of the questions asked were skills related, but in the team interview I was asked how I would contribute to the work culture at Summer Search.   Answer Question

Development Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Summer Search (New York, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

The interview process started off with a phone interview, which I felt was to gauge my interest level and my qualifications for the position. After making it past the initial phone screen, I went into the NY office (the location to where I was applying) for two separate, in-person interviews. Each interview consisted of two interviewers (so I met 4 people in total) and all were members of the team I would be working on.

The interviews were very relaxed and were more of a conversation. We explored my qualifications - work history, volunteer activities, and particularly why Summer Search. There were some behavioral questions thrown in as well, asking me how I would handle/have handled a particular situation. During the second interview, I also completed a 'test', just to demonstrate my abilities with Raiser's Edge and to get a sense of what kind of tasks I would be asked to complete.

While all three interviews happened in the span of two weeks (which was very fast and well-appreciated), I knew they were also interviewing other people for the same position and had to delay a decision - which came out about two weeks after my interview. While I appreciated the transparency in letting me know and keeping me updated, I wasn't exactly thrilled about the wait. Overall, Summer Search left a really great impression on me. They strike me as a fantastic nonprofit with a very supportive culture, dedicated employees who wholeheartedly practice the company values they preach.

Interview Questions

• What do you think is the part of the job that you would struggle with the most? Why?   Answer Question

Program Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Summer Search (Boston, MA) in June 2014.

Interview

First, I had a phone interview with the Associate Director. Then a week later, I went in for an in-person interview, where I met with the AD, Program Director, and a panel of students and other Program Associates. They responded within the same day to call me back for a second interview. A week later, I met with the Executive Director and spent more time with the AD and PD.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to do this work?
      How do you handle disappointments when students make choices that may differ from what you would have recommended?
      How would you handle this case ( a real student case study)?
      Answer Question

National Development Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Summer Search (San Francisco, CA) in December 2012.

Interview

After I misunderstood the date a phone interview was scheduled and conducted over the phone with the Director of Development Operations. The interview started with too much useless information about the origin and names of people of the organization. Very few relevant information was asked of me and most of the questions was posed by me. The problem as I see it was that since a new Director of Development will not start until February and a CEO was recently hired. The job description was well written, but during the phone interview it was pretty clear that she really didn't know what the job duties were and it lasted for close to an hour. I was excited reading the job description because it sounded like more of a managerial role, but the lack of stability of the nonprofit and poor interview structure made it clear that this was not a place that would well suit me. I was emailed the next day that another candidate was being considered.

Interview Questions

• N/A. The interviewer asked few, if any, questions. Most of the questions came from me.   Answer Question

Mar 24, 2015 – National Senior Director of Talent Acquisition

Hi there, thanks for your review. I'm on the Talent Team and it's disappointing to hear that you did not have a positive interview experience. I can assure you that this is not the norm, and we are ... More

Development Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Summer Search (New York, NY).

Interview

Had a brief phone interview with the Grants Specialist, then was called for an in-person interview. That interviewed lasted about 30 minutes, and we covered some of the job's duties and how my past experience related. I thought it went well, but I wasn't offered the position.

Although when I went to contact the person who interviewed me, I found out he had left his position shortly after my interview. I can't help but wonder if that had an effect on my candidacy.

Interview Questions

Summer Search Response

Mar 24, 2015 – National Senior Director of Talent Acquisition

Thanks for your review of your candidate experience. I'm on the Talent Team and sorry to hear that you had a neutral interview. I can assure you that we are committed to conducting thorough ... More