The Orchard Interview Questions | Glassdoor

The Orchard Interview Questions

Updated Jul 3, 2017

2.2

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Interview was standard.
    Phone Screen with recruiter then screen with senior engineer/arch.
    Given a project to create an ETL job, GUI, hosting, pretty much a full production system.
    Was a fairly heavy lift due to all the moving parts, webserver, JS, database, etc.

Product Analyst Interview

Application

I interviewed at The Orchard in May 2017.

Interview

I only got through the recruiting round but I feel like I have to leave a review to describe how pleasant the interview process was. I got direct feedback from the recruiter and a very polite phone call rejection instead of a non-personal email. I was told where they thought my background didn't align and told to keep an eye out for any other positions I thought I would be suitable for. Best rejection I've ever gotten.

Interview Questions

• What do you think product management is?
      Walk me through your background.   Answer Question

Sales and Marketing Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Orchard (Los Angeles, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

I had two interviews: one over the phone with the sales and marketing manager and another over Skype with two managers (since I wasn't in the area yet). The first interview was pretty smooth and getting to know you and your interests. We briefly went over my experience and interest with the company. The second interview was more situational and on the lines of an average interview. Process went really well and was really pleasant. I was later asked for my references.

Interview Time Span (Two Weeks)
    Week 1: First Interview
    Early Week 2: Second Interview
    Late Week 2: References Contacted

Interview Questions

• Can you tell me about a time you had to deal with a difficult team member and how you handled it?   Answer Question
    • What is your favorite film of all time and why? How about the latest film you've seen that you really enjoyed?   Answer Question

Physical Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at The Orchard (New York, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

The interviewer helped to make the conversation relaxed and casual. He showed me around the company, taught me about company culture, different departments, what I would do as an intern, etc. Overall, he was very nice and enthusiastic, which made it a fun interview.

Interview Questions

• I was asked general questions, such as about my academic life.   Answer Question

Compilations Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at The Orchard (New York, NY).

Interview

Initial phone call interview followed one week later with an in-person interview with senior manager. About 45 minutes later, met with two other member of the team for a brainstorming session. The process was very straightforward process and the manager came back with a decision by the end of the week.

Interview Questions

• If you were to design a compilation on --- genre, how would you go about developing it?   Answer Question

Product Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at The Orchard (New York, NY) in October 2015.

Interview

I had a phone screen then following good feedback from that call, came onsite for a 2 on 1 interview. The format (2 people from the company interviewing me at one time) was a bit awkward and the interview felt unstructured or unprepared. I received word within a couple days that I wouldn't be moving forward in the hiring process, and was given no reason. I asked directly if there was any feedback they could offer me to help me improve in my future job search and did not get a response.

Product Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at The Orchard in June 2015.

Interview

It was a phone interview with the head of product. He was very friendly and personable and we mostly just talked about music industry trends and how streaming services have changed the market completely over the last few years. We also talked a lot about technology within the music industry.

Interview Questions

• What is my favorite app and why? What features do you like about it and what would you change?
      What were your previous positions and how could you utilize what you learned in those experiences in this role?   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at The Orchard (New York, NY) in May 2015.

Interview

Starts with phone calls, then informal meetings, then going on-site. The interview process is very non-technical. Good in that there are no ridiculous brain teasers ridiculous type questions but you also do not get a good sense of what they are looking for given the lack of questions. You can certainly ask questions but you'll only get a limited view.

Physical Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at The Orchard (New York, NY) in August 2014.

Interview

The interview was short and very casual. We sat on a couch in the main lobby of the office and talked about my tastes in music, what I was expecting to get out of the internship, and what experience I have with vinyl and CDs. It was more of a screen to make sure I wasn't a flake and would actually contribute to the work environment.

Interview Questions

• What do you expect to gain from an internship in a department like physical sales?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at The Orchard.

Interview

Found it on LinkedIn. Knew the person hiring from my time in the industry. Had two long interviews.