UNESCO Interview Questions | Glassdoor

UNESCO Interview Questions

Updated Jun 26, 2017

2.4

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Interview

Interview process is like at any other job, what matters most is your resume and education depending on the job that you apply for. My interview was very informal and could be easily handled by anyone who has previously interviewed.

Interview Questions

• Questions were mainly about education because of the position as an intern and then as a consultant. I wouldn't worry too much about this process.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at UNESCO in May 2015.

Interview

It was a very formal interview process. You must be prepared to do the interview in French or English or both when requested by the interviewer, yet it is hard to know beforehand what their preference is.

Interview Questions

• How do you feel like you could contribute to UNESCO and this department? How do you deal under diplomatic and different cultural settings in a work environment? How many languages do you speak?   Answer Question

Marketing Interview

Interview

First a friend recommended me to look at UNESCO, because there are limited job opportunities for Americans to work in Paris. There were both telephone and in person interviews, and a followup when the job was offered

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at UNESCO in December 2012.

Interview

Straight forward: I was asked to talk about my previous experiences.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at UNESCO.

Interview

Smooth, easy, ask general questions, they make you go through your CV, and test your language skills, they ask you questions in each language you put on your CV, they ask you for your aspirations in life, what is UNESCO? and what are their current projects and why you are interested in joining the team.

Interview Questions

• What is your aspiration in life?   1 Answer

Statistical Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montreal, QC (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at UNESCO (Montreal, QC (Canada)) in October 2015.

Interview

Contacted by email to be notified that UNESCO was interested in my profile. Asked to come in to take an assessment exam on "stats" and then I took another exam immediately after to test my language ability.
    Don't waste a lot of time (as I did) on studying z-values, t-values, regression analysis, etc. as the statistics exam will have rather easy questions that really don't deal with stats at all, such as:
    1.) Country X has 40% women and 80% men. What is wrong with this data?
    2.) Population Z has 20,000 children; 10,000 of those children are enrolled in school. What percentage of the children are enrolled in school?

Make sure you know what UNESCO, OECD and UIS stand for when taking the written exam. You will be asked to write out the abbreviations during your written exam.

As a bi-lingual Québeçois, I found the language exams to be rather easy. You will not be tested on grammar or vocabulary directly, but rather you will be asked to write hypothetical letters to a supervisor and government official in English, French and whatever is the third UN language that you have chosen to be tested in. To show proficiency in these languages, you will be asked to write a professional letter in each language. Therefore, my advice, practice writing a professional letter in those languages using common statistical and math terms: aggregate, data, analysis, population sample, population size, etc. Although the letters were directed to different people dealing with various data, the letters all dealt with the same themes: "missing statistical data" and the "need to receive the data ASAP."

After passing the exams, I was asked to come in a few days later to sit in front of a panel of 5 people for an interview; included on the panel were the direct supervisor to the position and one individual from HR. The interview was a little over an hour long. Every person on the panel asked 2 questions. If the question was posed in French, then the answer should be in French and likewise, the same for English (I was not asked to show proficiency in a third UN language during my interview). Although the first question was "tell us about yourself and why you are interested in working at UNESCO" the rest of the questions focused on my technical ability and my ability to handle "missing data" and less on my personality, background and interest in the job. I waited 5 weeks after the interview to hear from HR and their decision. They contacted me by email to tell me that I did not get the job.

Make sure to ask when you can expect to hear from UNESCO regarding their decision when the interview is over. I waited more than 5 weeks to hear back and I realized that I did not have a clear answer to how long it would take UNESCO to make a decision after the interview was over since I did not ask. Gently ask for a specific day.

Interview Questions

• Tell us a little about yourself and why you are interested in this position?   Answer Question
    • How would you test the accuracy of your MS Excel spreadsheet?   Answer Question
    • What is UNESCO an abbreviation for? What is UIS an abbreviation for? What is OECD an abbreviation for?   Answer Question
    • If you are working with someone who continues to make mistakes with their analysis by skipping necessary steps with their data, how would you handle this issue?   Answer Question
    • What would you do if Country X has not yet submitted their data for analysis and the deadline is coming up quickly? How would you handle the situation? What would you do?   Answer Question

Assistant Project Officer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at UNESCO.

Interview

Regular questions on my experience, what do I know about their project and programmes
    Review of their concepts
    My experience as a team leader
    Why UNESCO, what do I know about the International Institute for Educationnal Planning.
    It was half in French half in English, from a panel of 4 persons, they were very nice and friendly

Interview Questions

• How would you persuade a ministry to launch a strategic education plan ?
      Can education be a source of conflict ?   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Paris (France)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at UNESCO (Paris (France)) in April 2015.

Interview

A brief 5 min interview on the phone. The interviewer wanted to make sure that my academic knowledge and interest fitted the project that I was going to be involved in. No technical questions were asked.

Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Montevideo (Uruguay)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at UNESCO (Montevideo (Uruguay)) in September 2014.

Interview

It was a brief 2 to 1 interview. The interviewers were very polite and nice. I felt they wanted to see that the person is truly dedicated to working in such organization for the sake of well-being of others. They also ask about your future goals in order to make sure that you can benefit from the position they are recruiting for. Moreover, they asked me what I would like to do while working with them so that they could give me relevant tasks.

Interview Questions

• Why UNESCO? What do you know about UNESCO? How do you think this position can be interesting and beneficial for you?   Answer Question

Project Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Paris (France)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at UNESCO (Paris (France)) in June 2014.

Interview

I applied online and they send me an email after 4 months to arrange a phone interview. I had a phone interview, about 40 min, with an interview panel of 3 experts. The interview was in English, and one question in French. It was a behavioral interview, they asked me shortly about my previous experience, explained me the nature of the project and asked me how my previous experience can fit with the assignment.

Interview Questions

• How do you handle the stress situations?
      What do you think will be the most complicated thing in this project?   1 Answer