US Geological Survey Interview Questions | Glassdoor

US Geological Survey Interview Questions

Updated Oct 15, 2017

2.3

Geology Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Geological Survey.

Interview

Phone interview with three geologists. They took turns asking questions, seemed very laid back and helped me if I struggled with a question or needed clarification. Mostly asked about my research and classes and wanted to get to know me.

Interview Questions

• Asked about my education and my thesis and then asked a situational question.   Answer Question

Student Trainee - Physical Science Interview

Anonymous Employee in Golden, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at US Geological Survey (Golden, CO) in March 2017.

Interview

I applied through the USAJobs government website after hearing about the intern position at my school's career fair. About a week after applying online, I was emailed by someone working at the USGS, requesting an interview. I interviewed with two different research groups while at the USGS office. The office atmosphere is really laid back; I was honestly overdressed wearing a suit and tie.

Everyone at the office was pleasant to interview with. I would recommend focusing on making a connection with one or more interviewers, rather than just trying to express your skills and talents. One of my interviewers and I got side tracked talking about the Boy Scout program, and I think that actually really helped me. Overall, the in person interview process took me about an hour.

About two weeks after applying, I was contacted by HR with an offer.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about yourself.   1 Answer
    • Why do you want to work for the USGS?   1 Answer
    • What is your coding background?   1 Answer
    • What do you know about landslides?   1 Answer

Student Trainee In Physical Science Interview

Anonymous Employee in Golden, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at US Geological Survey (Golden, CO) in March 2017.

Interview

Applied online and received a phone interview, followed by an in person interview at the USGS office where I would work. The phone interview was conducted by a supervisor, and the in person interview was conducted by a Senior Researcher (Geophysics) and a direct supervisor. Both interviews were behavioral, and you were expected to explain your prior experiences, as well as your goals for the internship.

Interview Questions

• Explain a project you've successfully completed from start to finish.   Answer Question
    • Explain a time when you failed.   Answer Question
    • What skills and experiences do you have that make you a good candidate for this position?   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Geological Survey.

Interview

Three months after submitting an application through USAJOBS I was brought in for an interview. The interview lasted two hours and consisted of a mix of technical and behavioral questions focusing on past experience as well as hypothetical situations.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about your experience with spatial data sets and statistical modeling.   Answer Question

Supervisory Budget Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at US Geological Survey (Sacramento, CA) in December 2016.

Interview

Contacted by hiring official via e-mail and requested to set up interview. Very accomodating to time and offered telephone interview if needed. I met the hiring official at his office and he was very friendly and easy to speak with, he asked the basic questions off of the Job Description and also asked how certain items on my resume related to position. The interview lasted about 2 hours after which he showed me the office where the other employees worked, introduced me to a few, and then showed me out.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at the Geological Survey?   1 Answer

Cartographer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at US Geological Survey (Denver, CO) in December 2016.

Interview

Typical in-person interview with a couple of interviewers taking turns asking questions. They asked general and specific questions regarding my experience as it relates to the position. They also provided a general background for the position.

Hydrologic Modeler Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tallahassee, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at US Geological Survey (Tallahassee, FL) in December 2016.

Interview

The process started with a phone screening and followed by a Skype interview. Both interviews were involved 3 interviewers. The second interview (with Skype) had 3 sections...1) Technical questions related to the position; 2) Software questions; 3) and personality-style questions.

IT Student Contractor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Cruz, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at US Geological Survey (Santa Cruz, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

First, you receive a phone interview and are asked questions about yourself. Then, you are asked questions about how to do things on both the Mac and Windows. Questions can range anywhere from how to force quit an application or program, to how to boot up into a CD or USB. Once you pass the phone interview, you are brought in to do an in-person interview where you are then asked to do various tasks on the computer under watch of the IT supervisor. You are judged on how quick and confident you complete these tasks. These tasks range from starting up into Safe Mode, to finding information about the system you are using. If you are deemed worthy, you will then be offered a position.

Interview Questions

• How do you cycle through your open applications using only keystrokes on a Mac computer?   Answer Question

IT Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at US Geological Survey.

Interview

It was a group interview with four people there. They were all very nice people, low key casual kind of environment. The job offered was not the one I had applied to. It was 3 months before they got back to me and I had already found a job. They could not match my current pay.

Interview Questions

• How many hours can you work?   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at US Geological Survey.

Interview

Applied through USAjobs.gov. I was emailed to schedule an interview after being referred to the hiring official. The interview took place over the phone, with three other people on the line. Interview questions were mainly focused on explaining my experience from the questions in the job application. Most of the questions were straight forward, and related to the work I would be doing.