US Geological Survey Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Mar 16, 2017

2.3

Student Trainee - Physical Science Interview

Anonymous Employee in Golden, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at US Geological Survey (Golden, CO) in March 2017.

Interview

I applied through the USAJobs government website after hearing about the intern position at my school's career fair. About a week after applying online, I was emailed by someone working at the USGS, requesting an interview. I interviewed with two different research groups while at the USGS office. The office atmosphere is really laid back; I was honestly overdressed wearing a suit and tie.

Everyone at the office was pleasant to interview with. I would recommend focusing on making a connection with one or more interviewers, rather than just trying to express your skills and talents. One of my interviewers and I got side tracked talking about the Boy Scout program, and I think that actually really helped me. Overall, the in person interview process took me about an hour.

About two weeks after applying, I was contacted by HR with an offer.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about yourself.   1 Answer
    • Why do you want to work for the USGS?   1 Answer
    • What is your coding background?   1 Answer
    • What do you know about landslides?   1 Answer

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Geological Survey.

Interview

Three months after submitting an application through USAJOBS I was brought in for an interview. The interview lasted two hours and consisted of a mix of technical and behavioral questions focusing on past experience as well as hypothetical situations.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about your experience with spatial data sets and statistical modeling.   Answer Question

Supervisory Budget Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at US Geological Survey (Sacramento, CA) in December 2016.

Interview

Contacted by hiring official via e-mail and requested to set up interview. Very accomodating to time and offered telephone interview if needed. I met the hiring official at his office and he was very friendly and easy to speak with, he asked the basic questions off of the Job Description and also asked how certain items on my resume related to position. The interview lasted about 2 hours after which he showed me the office where the other employees worked, introduced me to a few, and then showed me out.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at the Geological Survey?   1 Answer

Cartographer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at US Geological Survey (Denver, CO) in December 2016.

Interview

Typical in-person interview with a couple of interviewers taking turns asking questions. They asked general and specific questions regarding my experience as it relates to the position. They also provided a general background for the position.

IT Student Contractor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Cruz, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at US Geological Survey (Santa Cruz, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

First, you receive a phone interview and are asked questions about yourself. Then, you are asked questions about how to do things on both the Mac and Windows. Questions can range anywhere from how to force quit an application or program, to how to boot up into a CD or USB. Once you pass the phone interview, you are brought in to do an in-person interview where you are then asked to do various tasks on the computer under watch of the IT supervisor. You are judged on how quick and confident you complete these tasks. These tasks range from starting up into Safe Mode, to finding information about the system you are using. If you are deemed worthy, you will then be offered a position.

Interview Questions

• How do you cycle through your open applications using only keystrokes on a Mac computer?   Answer Question

IT Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at US Geological Survey.

Interview

It was a group interview with four people there. They were all very nice people, low key casual kind of environment. The job offered was not the one I had applied to. It was 3 months before they got back to me and I had already found a job. They could not match my current pay.

Interview Questions

• How many hours can you work?   1 Answer

Hydrologic Technician Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at US Geological Survey.

Interview

Applied through USAjobs.gov. I was emailed to schedule an interview after being referred to the hiring official. The interview took place over the phone, with three other people on the line. Interview questions were mainly focused on explaining my experience from the questions in the job application. Most of the questions were straight forward, and related to the work I would be doing.

User Experience Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at US Geological Survey (San Jose, CA) in January 2016.

Interview

One phone interview + one off-site work + one on-site interview
    Interviewers are friendly and helpful. Responses are quick and in-time.
    Not sure how the off-site work gets reviewed and how does it help in further process.
    Office looks good and environment around is also good.
    During the interview, there are branch of tech questions about HTML, Css and JS.

Student Trainee (Info Tech) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Iowa City, IA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at US Geological Survey (Iowa City, IA) in December 2015.

Interview

The interview was very basic not too technical at all. You need to be a current student to apply. What they really want to know is that you have some basic knowledge of operating systems and and computer hardware. They use windows so that is what you need to know but some of the servers run linux so that's a plus. Knowledge of basic command line commands is a plus. Website familiarity would be really nice as well as you will be doing to maintenance of the site. So if you have a basic knowledge in those areas and are a hard worker and willing to be trained up you should be good. The ideal candidate would have some knowledge in up and coming technologies that they could possibly implement in the USGS projects.

Interview Questions

• What operating system do you use on your home computer.   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Interview

I was hired by a professor who knew me. He called me in to do an interview and I got the job that day. I took his class which was directly in line with the job responsibilities. The class itself was sort of like an extended interview process. This was great motivation to do well and be engaged in every class I took after this one. You never know what opportunities will arise out of building relationships with your supervisors.