Urban Land Institute Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Urban Land Institute Interview Questions

2.6

Interviews for Top Jobs at Urban Land Institute

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Urban Land Institute in May 2016.

Interview

Sent an email in response to their numerous listings for interns back in February 2016 (I only sent in my resume for one specific position). Got a response email in mid-May offering to set up a phone interview. Recruiter totally forgot to call me for the phone interview, but chalked it up to connectivity issues - did not think to email me to warn me or anything like that. Rescheduled the interview for the next day, where I waited twenty minutes after our scheduled meeting time to call her. Cited connectivity issues again.

I get that this is an internship, but the interview questions weren't even half-baked; other internships at the Master's level that I've interviewed for (and received offers from) at least asked about prior experience and classroom experiences.

She let me know that the position I applied for had been filled a while ago, but she would put me in contact with someone else in a different department for a second interview. It's been about two weeks and no word.

I don't expect full contact with every firm I apply to; most of us are lucky to get a courtesy email for applying and not getting chosen. But why set up an interview if you're just going to blow right through it? Easily the most unprofessional HR employee I've ever encountered. Glad I wasn't hinging on ULI for a position!

Interview Questions

• Would you prefer to work with member relations, or with actual research?   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Urban Land Institute (Washington, DC) in April 2016.

Interview

I had a brief phone interview, about 15 to 30 minutes long. It was very open ended. My advice - Do your research on what projects the team has done and will do, name drop any ULI members you have interacted with and say how all of that matches your experience and education to date. I ended up getting the job. All work here is project-based, so ask your local District Council what projects are underway now and see how you can help. Technical skills, concise writing and strong communication skills are a plus at this job.

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Urban Land Institute (Dallas, TX) in September 2015.

Interview

Very friendly, professional and warm. Gave a lot of background information on the company and what the job entails. Was honest about the difficulties within the position and what challenges a person in this position would face.

Interview Questions

• How long was I willing to commit to the company? They were looking for someone long term.   Answer Question

Intern - Hourly Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Urban Land Institute (Washington, DC) in June 2015.

Interview

I applied online and got an email asking to set up a call. I received the call at the time specified in the email and noted that while the position I originally applied for was filled, there was another position I was qualified for in another department. I readily agreed to a video interview (I was away from the area for a few days and couldn't make the face-to-face interview in the 3 day window specified). The video interview comprised of a panel: my future manager and two coworkers. They asked targeted questions and dispelled my nervousness quickly.

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Urban Land Institute (Washington, DC) in June 2010.

Interview

I applied for this job online. Had an initial telephone interview with their recruiter which led to a face to face with the head of Human Resources and an executive-level manager. Thirty minutes were allotted for each interview and they were held on the same day. Both gentlemen were professional and pleasant. Both interviews stressed the importance of finding someone to fit in with the office culture, a bit more relaxed than a corporate atmosphere. They can wear jeans on casual Friday.

Interview Questions

• There were no questions that were difficult or unexpected.   Answer Question

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Urban Land Institute (Washington, DC) in June 2010.

Interview

I was contacted for a phone interview. The phone interview was supposed to be 20 minutes and ended up being 40 minutes. I received an email inviting me to an interview for a similar position and I declined because I wanted the other one.

Interview Questions

• What was it that interested you in this position?   Answer Question
    • What do you find challenging about the Executive Assistant role?   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Application

The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Urban Land Institute.

Interview

After submitting my resume and cover letter online, I heard back within 48 hours scheduling a phone interview with human resources staff. Phone interview was very basic, describing the duties of the position and outlining benefits. My first in person interview was scheduled to take place later in the week. I was invited to a second in person interview, which took place about a week and a half after the first in person. From the last interview, it took three weeks to hear a response. I felt like the process moved at a quick speed up until when they were making the final decision.