iMentor Interview Questions | Glassdoor

iMentor Interview Questions

Updated Jan 25, 2017

3.1

Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at iMentor.

Interview

We had a lovely conversation. She was very nice and friendly. Our conversation was very casual from the beginning. I had no problem sharing my thoughts or adding on to her thoughts, vice versa.

Mentor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at iMentor (Chicago, IL) in September 2016.

Interview

First fill out online application, they will ask for references that will actually have to fill out questions before you can get into the program so be prepared and list appropriate people. Select the date of an in-person meeting with other perspective mentors where they explain the whole process and you sign up for both the date and time of 30-minute phone interview and when you are going to have a background check. Overall everyone is very kind and more just wants to get to know you. You'll hear back after the interview if they have an appropriate student to match you with and your background check comes through (as well as your references).

Interview Questions

• They give a scenario about a mentee being bullied and ask how you would handle the situation.   Answer Question

Program Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at iMentor (New York, NY) in July 2016.

Interview

If it wasn't for being completely ignored at the end, I would have given them a decent score. After applying online, they contacted me within two days for a phone interview. I was then contacted shortly after (within 2-3 days) for an in-person interview. After my first in-person interview I was contacted again (within 2-3) for a third interview. The day after my 2nd in-person interview I was asked for my references. I never heard from them again. I wrote my contact and still no reply. After spending so much time interviewing with them (and as someone who has hired people myself) I find their lack of communication at the end to be extremely unprofessional and disorganized.

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at iMentor (New York, NY) in June 2016.

Interview

There was a phone interview, email assessment, data assessment and several other steps in the process after the phone interview/email assessment. After an initial screening, I had to wait a week before I was contacted for a face to face interview process in their offices. I was told that I would have to spend half of a day at the offices. When I arrived there was other applicants and we all had different phases of the interview process through the day. There was a 1-1 with HR and Program Director; a teaching interview with 4 program managers and a debriefing; a data assessment (which is a report that you have to answer 3 questions for and send via email back to them)... that was a timed 40 minute activity, and a final interview with one more program manager. At the end of the process, although I knew I had great skills, I thought I wasn't going to be moving on the process. The talent / hr staff member advised me that 'next steps' would be provided but since there was a lengthy amount of time where they did not respond to me after I sent a thank you letter -- I knew that I was not moving on the process. It took them over 8 days to contact me with a declining letter. Expect lots of questions and use your time wisely. Leave early, and have fun. Although I did not move on in the process, it was a good experience. Expect to stay at least from 9:30-2pm on that day. The process is very overwhelming but exhilarating.

Interview Questions

• A lot of situational questions about working with youth, dealing with adult mentors, and working in a collaborative manner. Explain a time where you dealt with a difficult situation with a youth? HOw did you handle it?   1 Answer

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at iMentor (New York, NY) in May 2016.

Interview

The team was very genuine and nice. They broke down the goals/missions of the data team and org. Invited me to ask questions. They asked great and challenging questions and were strategic about them, they got me thinking in a good way..

Interview Questions

• If there is something you do not know how to do (in terms of data management) how would you go about learning how to do it and solving the problem?   Answer Question

Confidential Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at iMentor.

Interview

A 15-20 min phone interview. Then, a week later, they will ask you to come for an hour in person interview if they consider you. A week later, if they decide to move ahead, they will ask you for your references. Then a week after that, they will make a decision. Overall, the process took roughly a month.

Interview Questions

• What do you think will be a difficult task to do in this position   Answer Question

Communications Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at iMentor (New York, NY) in September 2015.

Interview

I can honestly say interviewing with iMentor was a pleasure, even though I did not receive an offer. I had a phone interview with HR, followed by an in-person meeting, a written exercise, and then in-person again with a few pairs of interviewers. Everyone, particularly HR and the manager of this position, was very transparent and respectful of my time during the hiring process, and open to talking about not just the work at iMentor but the culture. I was impressed by how passionate they each were about their roles and how they contributed to the broader iMentor mission, and I appreciated that they seemed genuinely interested in not just my skills but my professional goals. They definitely expect applicants to do their homework, but they do theirs as well, and I'd recommend dressing more professionally than one might at other nonprofits.

Interview Questions

• How do you see yourself growing at iMentor? What are your long-term goals?   Answer Question

Witheld Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at iMentor.

Interview

iMentor has a pretty refined and professional method for interviewing. Received an email, requesting a phone interview along with a few slots from which to choose. Interviewer was prompt, approachable and thorough. Questions were akin to those found on Glassdoor.
    Interviewer was open and honest when answering my questions about the job and culture.
    Awaiting word about in-person interview.

College Success Coach Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at iMentor (Chicago, IL) in June 2015.

Interview

I filled out an online application. Next, I had a phone interview with someone in the hiring team which lasted 30 minutes. Next, I did an in person interview with the program director. Last, I came in and did a mock lesson for 3 staff members, did a Skype interview with someone in New York, and did a final interview with the program director.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if you had a student who didn't like their mentor?   Answer Question

Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at iMentor (New York, NY) in August 2013.

Interview

I did not hear from iMentor for over 5 months after submitting my application. Suddenly, I hear from them on a Thursday, asking me to do a phone interview the next afternoon (Friday). On the phone interview I was offered an in person interview for the coming Monday. I was told that I would receive further information by the end of the week and I had a pretty good feeling. By the following Monday, I had not received any further information, so I wrote to my HR contact, who told me I would not be moving forward in the process, but provided no further details. I was discouraged, and tried to seek further information, but to no avail.

While I feel that this is a great organization, I was a bit surprised by the length of time between my application, and my interviews, and then how quickly the interview process transpired. I am still inspired by their work, but feeling a bit deflated after my experiences with them.

Interview Questions

• Was asked how I would help a staff person who encountered a student at their school site who was dismissive of iMentor's mission, and saw the program as a way for White Middle Class folks to feel better about themselves   1 Answer