ASCAP Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.7
Beth Matthews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Health insurance, 401k match, work from home privileges for entry level/data entry employees (in 9 reviews)

• Work/life balance actually exists (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Relatively low pay and very high stress (in 4 reviews)

• Too much condescension, lack of respect and high stress level (in 3 reviews)

1. "Great Place to Work"

I have been working at ASCAP full-time

Pros

Freedom to implement your thoughts and ideas

Cons

Cost constraints at times hold back some great ideas.

2. "Disheartning"

Current Employee - Licensing Specialist in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Licensing Specialist in Nashville, TN

I have been working at ASCAP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The only good thing anymore is my lead. There used to be tons of great, positive things about working here. Each region was like a family, we supported each other and helped one another. Now we've been pitted against each other.

Cons

Commission pay has been slashed year after year, by 100%, more work has been put on our desks, the stress is beyond insane, people come and people go, they take things away quicker and they no longer care about their employees or the happiness of their employees.

Advice to Management

I've almost been here 4.5 years. When I first started working here, the first 2.5 years, management cared about their employees then it just went downhill. If you pay your employees less and give them more work then how does a company expect employees to be dedicated to the company and the cause? It seems to me like the company has gotten so greedy they don't care about employees, the licensees or the members who aren't huge. The worst part is the fact they don't even realize some of the talent they have right under them and don't even try to utilize their employees strengths. I stayed because I actually cared about the cause, I stayed because I thought I was working hard to help support songwriters but now I don't even know if that even matters to ASCAP.

Make employees a focus, not a high rate turnover job.
    Make all songwriters a priority, not just the big ones.
    Make businesses who license with us feel important, don't just take their money and never speak to them again.
    Encourage employees from membership, marketing and licensing to work together to create a positive environment for all that are part of ASCAP.

Make this a true music industry job. Create an environment where employees, members and businesses who licenses with us have more positive than negative to say. I don't think it is too late to make positive changes, but someone has to make them.

3. "Run."

Pros

A few nice co workers who get it..

Cons

They know things are messed up yet no one does anything about it in fear of rocking the boat.

Advice to Management

put your foot down and implement the polices you hae

"Sinking ship"

I worked at ASCAP full-time

Pros

Good time off and benefits

Cons

Where to start... such a toxic environment the place is a mess and lacks any formal process or structure. The amount of bureaucracy the new CEO and management team has been able to create in their short time at the org is almost impressive. Resources are not being distributed evenly across the company and instead of fixing operations they are continuing to build on top of a decaying and crumbling foundation. A lot of employees are stuck in jobs because of silo'd experience and those who have the transferable skills are beginning to move elsewhere. The turn over has been incredible and it seems like a new (valued) person is leaving every week. CEO and management refuse to acknowledge this as a sign or fault in their ways but rather playing it off as healthy turn over.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to the turn over - people are leaving because of you. Take action on the surveys and feedback. Overall it seems too late, the damage has been done.

5. "Go Elswehere"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at ASCAP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Gave it two stars for vacation and that I'm only know about the department I work in and those I work with. Vacation starts at 25 days.

Cons

Very political environment. For whatever reason the new CEO approves every new hire in the company. Besides that being a waste of time it shows me she has terrible judgement. She hired a group of actual friends to run the Product Department. This has create problems for my time beyond nepotism. From the time I have been with any of them in meetings it looks like none of them have management experience and few have interpersonal skills. Their employees are miserable and this affects my team's morale because nobody wants to work with them because of the hostility.

Advice to Management

Have the CEO be a CEO. Hire people who demonstrate good interpersonal qualities for roles that require interpersonal skills. Rule 1 in good culture is to not hire friends, let alone squads of friends.

6. "Putting Songwriters First"

Former Employee - Marketing/Technology in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Marketing/Technology in New York, NY

I worked at ASCAP (More than 10 years)

Pros

ASCAP is a mission driven community of employees. If your a songwriter, you shouldn't miss an opportunity to contribute to the team that fights for your rights.

Cons

There are no negatives to this organization. It is a critical component of the creative music community. If you care about promoting music in schools and diversity of music in the marketplace, you'll want to be part of ASCAP.

7. "Save yourself from the aggravation"

I have been working at ASCAP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Ascap loves mediocre people! They claim to be a sales organization. This is a compliance based sale that you are licensing music users (mostly hospitality). If you are happy with just enough this is the place for you.

Cons

There are many cons to the position. The department changes leadership like it changes underwear. The person choosing the leadership does not understand sales. His choices recently included a narcissist and a worthless individual. Training is poor and often done by long tenured individuals that are mediocre producers.

Advice to Management

To the CEO .... When the old man retires, fire all his generals as they do more harm than good!

CEO rating is based on the fact that she is clueless! In her defense, she solicits feedback at annual meetings. The problem is that everyone is afraid of retaliation. They implement some positive change just before the meetings to improve morale.

8. "Best Job I Had"

I worked at ASCAP full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Worked on my own for the most part. Great managers. Never micromanaged. Great benefits and vacation package. Added perks were great too!

Cons

Layoffs were occurring every couple of years

"Glad to see others starting to speak out"

I have been working at ASCAP full-time

Pros

Generous time off, good benefits, for the most part, really good people.

Cons

The companies recent pivot of the last 3 years has created a monster. Changes are being made to improve perception of the company while its core operations are being ignored. A very "us and them" environment has been created, and the opinions and outputs of really good, knowledgable employees are being discounted.

I would have given this 4 stars just a few years ago.

Advice to Management

A lot of money is being spent on doing things for the wrong reasons, most with no ROI other than looking flashy. You need to return to also thinking what your loyal employees think of us and not how we are perceived by the industry and our members, whom we are taking money away from.

"I wish I could give 0 stars. Worst company ever!"

I have been working at ASCAP full-time

Pros

The only pro about this company is their vacation policy (25 days) and some of the people are nice.

Cons

Literally everything else! I'm not sure who on earth is writing the positive reviews. Leadership is the worst I've seen my whole career. This company is truly the epitome of chaos. The negative review are true. Believe them! They claim to be "upgrading" their technology, but in reality they are attempting to put the body of a 2017 bmw on a 1995 ford. If you are an experienced worker that's used to doing things the right way and if you are used to working with clear sensible processes then this is not the place for you. They work development team to death, and there no sense appreciation for the work they do. I can only assume the only way to be successful at this company is to either be complacent, or to be in the right clique in upper mgmt.

Advice to Management

Hire a consulting firm to help fix your day to day processes and procedures, especially related to delivery of project. The folks that dont know what they are doing, are running the show, and the people that are knowledgeable have been put on the sidelines.