Action Against Hunger Reviews | Glassdoor

Action Against Hunger Chief Executive Officer Andrea Tamburini
Andrea Tamburini

"We save lives"

I have been working at Action Against Hunger full-time

Pros

Great mission saving the lives of malnourished children and helping/empowering communities in need around the word. Nice work environment. The team in HQ-NY has a lot of enthusiasm and is very committed. The organization has good benefits and pays fair salaries.

Cons

Workload can be heavy especially for those providing support to the field programs.

Advice to Management

They are in the right direction, should keep doing a good job, investing in Action Against Hunger well-being program, training and development of staff, and reinforcing organizational values.

May 10, 2017 – Employee Engagement Associate

Nice to hear your positive experience working for Action Against Hunger-USA, and thank you for your continued commitment to the organization.

"Be The Change You Want To Be"

Current Employee - Human Resources Generalist in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Human Resources Generalist in New York, NY

I have been working at Action Against Hunger full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A place where everyone knows your name.
    Great benefits package (and not because I'm in charge of benefits) but more to come.
    Great people that really care about our beneficiaries and what the bottom line is for the work that we do.
    Flex time.
    Summer Fridays (4 SF).
    Work/life balance.

Cons

Changing dinamic, training needs to be address.
    Culture needs to improve from within

Advice to Management

Would love to see more of the HQ staff actually travel to our missions (raises hand) so we could actually see what our job means to them.
    Improve communication (works in progress).
    Who do we want to be 5 years from now - The best in Class!
    Keep moving the ship forward.

Jun 8, 2017 – Director Human Resources, Learning & Development

First of all thank you for your continued service to Action Against Hunger. The positive benefits you mention are a result of the efforts being put in by our managers, HR teams and staff both in our ... More

"CEO is disaster. Organization crumbling"

I worked at Action Against Hunger full-time

Pros

Someone needs to rescue this organization

Cons

The CEO is making huge strategic and operational changes just to try to make it look like he is a leader. He has no idea what the eventual impact will be. Massive change based on a suspicion. No substance.

He spins his Board into thinking he knows what he is doing.

A real CEO is needed. This one is a sham.

Other leaders are minimally competent.

Low salaries and everyone does multiple jobs.

Favortism.

Lip service to values.

Enormous exodus after numerous attempts to convey concerns - groups wrote letters to Management expressing lack of confidence.

Efforts by Management to address issues have entirely missed the point.

A CEO with a huge ego and big salary spends most of his time at home. He seems to think no one notices he barely works or gets anything done. Everyone notices. Except the people he reports to - the Board.

So unfortunate. Millions of people in needs and dollars spent going to waste.

Advice to Management

Competent, skilled leader needed.

Conduct a proper search for a real professional.

Stop chinsing on hiring for leadership positions. It's been one disaster after the next.

"Amazing organization"

I have been working at Action Against Hunger full-time

Pros

The definitive technical expert on global hunger and malnutrition that not only develops and implements programs that detect and treat under nutrition, but shares its vast knowledge and expertise with other organizations to help create a world of no hunger.

Strong leadership and board that truly cares about its employees

Innovative

Cons

Relatively low visibility with a need to grow awareness

Advice to Management

Keep on prioritizing your employees to build a great culture that leads to positive outcomes for the world's hungriest and under nourished

"Great job, wonderful mission"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Action Against Hunger full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This US Chapter of the world-wide humanitarian organization ACF is truly humbling, and you really appreciate clean water, hot or cold, all the mod cons we have and how spoilt we are to live in the US.

Cons

There is always some place in crisis, so there is always something to catch up on tomorrow.

"Great Internship Experience"

Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY

Pros

As an intern at ACF-HQ, I had the ability to take control of my own projects, contribute new ideas and solutions, and receive advice on my career direction. A great organization to work for.

Cons

Unpaid with transit and lunch reimbursements.

"Filed work is better than working at NY Head Quarters"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Action Against Hunger full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great international culture, very hard working and dedicated staff. Some people have been working with the organization for many years. It has a very good reputation in Europe and in the Humanitarian field. It gives chances to people that other they will not get in other places.

Cons

The organization has grown too fast in a very short time and it was not ready for it. It seems a bit lost and unprepared.
    There is a very unhealthy working environment, people are drained and not motivated. Need for improvement in management, long working stressful days and very poor recognition of employees. Very high turn over for such small organization. No employee support from HR or Management. It is a non for profit but certain things are managed corporate, very corporate.

Advice to Management

Be aware of what it is going on in your organization. A good manager is always alert and knows what is going on at all times. Follow your own Principles: be honest and transparent always, care about people- your employees are people too-, be fair equally, create positive and healthy working habits, and recognize your employees. Mostly, hire the right people for the right job. Strategic planning is very important and something missing in certain areas of ACF USA.

"Excellent working environment, rewarding work experience."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Great benefits for a non-profit job. Great co-workers.

Cons

Non-profit salary. Little promotion potential.

Advice to Management

None!

"Expert humanitarian organization working to improve the sector"

I have been working at Action Against Hunger full-time

Pros

This organization is at the heart of global work to end hunger and save the lives of malnourished children. It has huge technical credibility and expertise, and the organization (via its international network) is working in every single one of the world's most severe humanitarian emergencies. If you want to be involved with a serious, effective aid organization serving people in need, this is a great place to contribute. Strong programs, innovative research, clear mission. I am proud to work here.

Cons

The sector is changing, and the organization is trying to adapt and change along with it. Change can be disruptive and painful. Some departments are under-resourced. Challenging to get noticed in US where so many other huge aid organizations have strong recognition with donors and the public.

Advice to Management

Persevere!

"Great NGO making a real difference in the world!"

I have been working at Action Against Hunger full-time

Pros

Mission and credibility around the world

Cons

Inability to manage staff through change

Advice to Management

Change is normal and to be expected. Must continue efforts to inform staff of developments, to involve them in the process to minimize discontent and attrition.

Jun 8, 2017 – Director Human Resources, Learning & Development

Thank your for your feedback. We especially like your caption and are glad to have you and all our staff in the many locations we work in on board to help us make a "real difference in the world". ... More