Allen Lane Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
Allen Lane Founding Partner James Allen & Ben Lane
James Allen & Ben Lane

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Rewarding, inspiring, high standards"

I have been working at Allen Lane full-time

Pros

I came in to Allen Lane thinking I was the bees knees - that I was as good a Public Sector recruiter as there was. I was wrong.

Wherever I looked, I saw more experienced and more successful recruiters with closer relationships to senior people than I had managed.

It hasn't changed - I am striving to improve but the platform is there that enables me to do so. And I am constantly challenged to improve and develop my skill set even in times of success - the real difference between a large and small company.

Cons

To achieve what is possible at AL or anywhere requires dedication and sacrifice. Ifg you aren't prepared to push yourself, accept feedback and recognise there is room for improvement, it's not the right place for you.

Advice to Management

Continue to manage people as individuals as peoples' needs and wants are different and constantly changing.

2. "Challenging but rare opportunity in the tough recruitment world"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Allen Lane full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Having worked for a number of the larger recruitment consultancies, both here and abroad, I was genuinely looking for something a bit different when I joined Allen Lane. Coming back from travelling and looking to relocate, it was important I got my move right, so I had quite the wish list:
     A name that I could be proud to be associated with
    One that would allow me to build my own brand through shared values and ambitions
    Direct access to owners/ decision makers in the business
    A team environment that was challenging but supportive
    Career progression and great benefits
    10 years on and I am lucky enough to say that I got my decision spot on! Allen Lane has lived up to my expectations and often exceeded them. In the cut throat recruitment industry it is rare to find a tighter and more supportive team of people.

Cons

Working for a small boutique firm is not for everyone so make sure you know what your wish list is! Allen Lane has high expectations in terms of ambitions, attitudes and ability. Make sure you have the same as working in a small team does mean greater visibility and exposure.

3. "Genuinely a great place to work!!!"

I have been working at Allen Lane full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

- Challenging environment
    - Supportive management
    - Fantastic progression opportunities
    - Outstanding benefits and perks
    - Great offices in Mayfair
    - Energetic and enthusiastic team
    - Fun team days, incentive trips and charity challenges

Cons

The 'work hard, play hard' mentality that exists isn't necessarily everyone's cup of tea

4. "A career and not just a job"

I have been working at Allen Lane full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Longevity of staff (current average of 7 years per employee)
    Close knit environment
    Unrivalled rewards and commission structure
    Autonomy and offer of progression if you want to advance
    Great office and location
    Multiple team/charity days

I have been at Allen Lane for the bulk of my career and it is and always has been a place that I am proud to be associated with. Having spent over 10 years in the recruitment industry and having experienced a large, multinational environment, the differences are immense and the ability to shape your own destiny and develop your all round game is maximised in the Allen Lane environment.

Cons

High expectations means it's not for everyone. As it only recruits into the public sector, it is not always the most buoyant of markets.

5. "Start off really good, but no support when you struggle"

I have been working at Allen Lane full-time

Pros

Was really good when I started here and they gave me a lot of help. They pay good commission if you are making them lots of money. Spend a lot of money on social events, day's out, Xmas party.

Cons

Set really difficult targets for calls and meetings except for a few people who they let get away with things. If you are struggling with these, they don't give you any support, they just tell you to work harder and force you to work evenings. And they start talking to others in the company about sacking you rather than telling you directly.

Advice to Management

Spend more time with people who are having a hard time. Set realistic targets and show some care about people's personal lives. And introduce random drug testing as I know at least three people who are regular users.

6. "High pressure target driven and unsupportive management"

I have been working at Allen Lane full-time

Pros

Most of the team are friendly. Offices are easy to get to.

Cons

This is a high pressure place to work. They set difficult targets for calls and meetings. The mangers are poor and dont care about personal issues. Morale is low in the company. They dont listen to you when you criticize anything or make suggestions.

Advice to Management

Your should spend more time talking to people and listening to them.