Altorfer Reviews | Glassdoor

Bruce Altorfer

1. "Good company"

Current Employee - Mpc in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Current Employee - Mpc in Cedar Rapids, IA

I have been working at Altorfer full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Laid back, family oriented, great people

Cons

Male dominated, communication lacking, little opportunities for women, could use more vacation time

Advice to Management

Listen more

2. "Technican"

Former Employee - Technician in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Former Employee - Technician in Cedar Rapids, IA

I worked at Altorfer full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay was okay. Plenty of overtime if one wanted it. Benefits were a okay. Had a 401k with company matched the first six percent. Tool insurance, uniforms and safety allowance.

Cons

No opportunities for development as a technician. No training no tool allowance.
    Company does not value its technicans. Your treated more as a liability due to their poor safety record.
    Very old and outdated shop.
    Not very generous on vacation 2 weeks after 2 years. 3 weeks after 10 years. 4 weeks after 20 years.
    Company didn't have a long term plan. seemed to be day to day.
    After four years I could tell my career was going no where and moved on.

Advice to Management

Management didn't seem to have any real world experience with machinery. More concerned with expenses and profits.

"management is very inept"

Former Employee - Management in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Former Employee - Management in Cedar Rapids, IA

I worked at Altorfer full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

About the only positives are the health care benefits low premiums dental insurance life insurance paid over time at any time you desire.

Cons

The management will always terminate the best and brightest employees and the sad thing is that top management has no clue. If you strive to be your best this is not the place to work, you will work yourself out the door

Advice to Management

If you want to improve your company start evaluating your managers and cut the un needed overhead (managers managing managers) start hiring people with real life experience instead of the book smart grads. The top management needs to take an interest in there employees and at the very least learn there names.

"Unqualified Management"

Former Employee - Service Technician in Peoria, IL
    Former Employee - Service Technician in Peoria, IL

I worked at Altorfer full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great technicians that know what they are doing and take pride in their work.

Cons

Everything about management.No responsibility, integrity, proper ability, knowledge, leadership and the list goes on. They actualy hinder the production on the company.

Advice to Management

grab your ears and pull, after your fire yourselves

6. "Store Manager"

Pros

Excellent place to work. Great Pay, good management.

Cons

Keeping equipment available to repair at locations that need it. Doing so would keep the fleet at a higher rate of availability.

Advice to Management

Keep it up

7. "Machine Sale Rep"

I have been working at Altorfer full-time

Pros

Great Company to work for.

Cons

I don't have any downsides.

"It's a wonderful company to work for!"

I have been working at Altorfer full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The pay is very competitive. They offer REAL advancement opportunities. The benefits are better than most and they do care about their employees. I have been with this company for almost ten years and I have been promoted several times. I've worked hard to gain the respect of my co-workers, managers and those I manage now. Altorfer is a very stable company who has provided for my family and me for a long time. I've never had a paycheck problem, I've never been asked to do something my own boss wouldn't or couldn't do himself and I've worked alongside some of the brightest and most worthy technicians the industry has ever seen.

I do have to take issue with the review that says top management doesn't care about it's employees. While I have never worked personally with the Vice President of my division, he has always stopped to say hi while in my building. He knows my name as well as everyone I work with. During a company Christmas party, the President of the company (who's last name matches the name on the sign) stopped me to introduce himself because he had never met me!

The truth is, companies change and things happen. Sometimes people just aren't a good fit or they aren't doing as good a job as they think they are (or tell themselves they are doing). You have to consider the source sometimes in that we all know someone at work who swears they are the best employee the company has ever seen, yet you clearly have a different opinion of that! There's a reason there are so few reviews for this company; turn over is pretty low for a company of it's size. As I said, I've been with the company for ten years and in many areas, I'm still the new guy!

If you want to work for a great company and you are the type of person to really own your job and you have that drive to succeed, I say go for it - If you can find an opening that is!

Cons

Working with those who always feel the grass is greener on the other side! I honestly believe some people who work here forget how good they have it at times and think they can do better somewhere else. Oddly enough, they always end up coming back.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work to keep this company strong! Thank you for the years of opportunity & Thank you for providing for my family!

"Nothing great here"

Pros

Can not say any thing was a pro.

Cons

Too much backstabbing and gossip, no training, get yelled at every turn.

Advice to Management

Fired everyone in management and find good quality candidates.