AssetMark Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
AssetMark President & CEO Charles G. Goldman
Charles G. Goldman

1. "Great Place to Work!"

I have been working at AssetMark full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Challenging and rewarding career/ Great executive leadership/ Feedback is requested, valued and acted upon/ Fun & fast paced work environment and culture

Cons

None relevant enough to mention here.

2. "AssetMark is a great place to work!"

Current Employee - Leader in Concord, CA
    Current Employee - Leader in Concord, CA

I have been working at AssetMark full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great mission, to help advisors create great outcomes for their clients, and a strategy that fully supports the mission. Caring people from front line through executive leadership all wanting to do right by our clients. The company cares about, invests in and empowers employees and fosters their development. AssetMark is a great place to work.

Cons

Challenges in keeping up with the tremendous growth the company has recently experienced, though plans in the works to address these challenges head on.

3. "Great Place to Work"

I have been working at AssetMark full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

High career growth and development. There is always an opportunity to learn. I am always challenged. Great leadership and culture. The best part of working for AssetMark is definitely the people. I have been here almost 13 years and cannot imagine being at another more rewarding place to work.

Cons

Commute takes about an additional 10 minutes off of the freeway.

"Still ok, not great since the new CEO came on"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Concord, CA

I have been working at AssetMark full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible work schedule, good benefits.

Cons

Everyone is way overworked. Compensation is on the low side for the amount of work we all do.

Advice to Management

The employees at AssetMark work harder then anywhere I've ever worked, they deserve to be paid more.

6. "Commercialization"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Concord, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Concord, CA

I worked at AssetMark full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Vision was exciting, President of the company was very charismatic

Cons

Commercialization department was toxic and poorly managed. Mid level to Exec leadership was terrible.

Advice to Management

Manage day to day operations more consistently with stated long-term vision. Get rid of known toxic managers and replace with higher quality individuals.

7. "Regional Consultant"

Former Employee - Internal Consultant in Encino, CA
    Former Employee - Internal Consultant in Encino, CA

I worked at AssetMark (More than a year)

Pros

The team at the time was a small tight knit group of people and I loved it. Advancement within 3 years was definitely possible at the time. At the time they were pretty cutting edge on asset allocation options for their product.

Cons

While I was there several of their portfolios had hard years and advisors were frustrated because of it. Pay was below average for where we were at and the external consultants ate a lot of the glory.

Advice to Management

Keep building. I overall really liked working at Assetmark, if the internal teams are still doing a lot of sales individually make sure they are rewarded.

8. "Good company, striving to do better"

Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Concord, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Concord, CA

I have been working at AssetMark full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Challenging, non repetitive work / Opportunities for advancement / Management listens and actively sources feedback on a regular basis / Peets coffee in the breakout room / Wellness programs / Monthly Happy hour / Volunteer day / Strong culture and work ethic / Social group programs

Cons

low budget towards training or conferences / expect to put in a 45 to 50 hr week on a regular basis / lacks organizational maturity towards project management / use of older software / just slightly below average pay

Advice to Management

Hire more staff to ease off the resourcing pressure. Use Agile development methodologies

9. "Love Working for AssetMark"

Current Employee - Manager in Concord, CA

I have been working at AssetMark full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

AssetMark is a great place to work for those that don't mind working hard, being held accountable, being a team player, enjoy working with great people and building effective working relationships, and desire to work for a growing/successful company. The company places a strong emphasis on helping their clients and their employees succeed.

Cons

Offering Peet's coffee instead of Starbuck's in the break room.

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on talent management and doing what it takes to build an even better company.

"Bad career move for IT."

Former Employee - IT Professional in Concord, CA
    Former Employee - IT Professional in Concord, CA

Pros

Nice office building, good location. People are generally nice, but it is very clique oriented. Company seems to be doing well.

Cons

Absolutely avoid the IT (Production Operations) team. Upper management of the team is littler more than an incompetent "old boys club". They look out for each other, and no one else. You will be placed in no-win situations, and be thrown under the bus when push comes to shove. I was once placed in a scenario where my manager knew exactly what I was doing before I did it, but proceeded hang me out to dry (denied any knowledge of my efforts) once higher ups caught wind.

There are many custom production systems with little, or more often no documentation which you will be immediately responsible for. There is no evaluation, ramp up, or on-boarding period for new employees, you are thrown immediately into the fire, and expected to perform with little room for mistakes. When mistakes are made, you will be threatened with a performance plan that is nothing more than a formality for firing you, this happened to several of my peers, some fired for reasons not defined on their performance plan, and others who left on their own.

Management fosters an insanely political environment by using carrot-string tactics which never come to fruition. There is a lot of back-stabbing and sabotaging among the groups within the overall team. Very little in the way of collaboration, it's actually the exact opposite. Upper management actively engages in this behavior as well.

Advice to Management

Advice to the CEO and COO, take an interest into what's going on within your Prod Ops team. They support your entire infrastructure, and are being managed as poorly as I've ever seen. You are fed a lot of fluff, and not being kept in the loop on a lot serious issues within the people and the technology. My direct manager had talked about firing everyone on the team at one point or another.

11. "Don't expect respect for kindness. Look at gaining minimal respect and a lack of chamarederie."

Former Employee - New Business Case Manager (Contractor) in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - New Business Case Manager (Contractor) in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at AssetMark full-time

Pros

I learned a lot about finance. Good pay.

Cons

Contractors lack respect and if you want to learn something its more DIY with guidelines that are not consistent across the board.

Advice to Management

Take your time with new employees and don't get anxious like one unnamed Team Leader. Things are fixable and if you show your genuine appreciation you can win over Financial Advisors.