BC Transit Reviews | Glassdoor

Manuel Achadinha

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Difficulty with process"

I worked at BC Transit full-time

Pros

Great people, obvious company goals, nice office. Senior management is good and visionary, middle management not-so-much, worker level excellent.

Cons

Processes between depts is difficult as condescension between them runs rampant, there's a definite unspoken hierarchy, and if you aren't in a 'good' dept you will find it difficult to get work done as the nature of many of the depts needs collaboration. As I said in pros, the problem exists in the middle management layer in most cases.

Advice to Management

Audit processes between departments. Understand the hierarchy better so that people can actually do work and not get mansplained every time they need something.

"Can you please look this over."

"well, actually this how you should do this..."

"do you work in XX"

"no"

"then why are you telling my how to do my job?"

"Well, I'm just trying to help you. You should actually do it like this."

Barf.

Sep 12, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. As you know first-hand, BC Transit is an organization with a number of divisions (as well as 5 office locations throughout greater Victoria... More

"Run in opposite direction! Toxic environment!!"

I worked at BC Transit full-time

Pros

Provides a necessary transit system to communities

Cons

CEO leads by popularity rather than work ethic. Toxic environment with poor leadership at all levels

Advice to Management

Too many challenges to list, starting from the top.

Sep 12, 2017

I am sorry you did not enjoy your time here and your comments are definitely concerning. Having said that, the majority of people who work here provide favorable feedback as to their experience. It... More

3. "Bunch of Complete Morons"

Current Employee - Bus Driver in Victoria, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Bus Driver in Victoria, BC (Canada)

I have been working at BC Transit full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good coworkers, team and friendly family mentality among coworkers of low status. Beautiful city to drive around.

Cons

Too many to list. Massively entitled and careless managment. BC Transit is treated like a necessary evil by the bc government and the managment at BCT in turn act like treating entry level employees is evil.

Your better to work at for the city dont waste your time with this company.

Advice to Management

Take a managment class in school.

Sep 12, 2017

Well, we certainly wouldn’t give ourselves that title, but we agree that our coworkers are great, that we have a friendly environment and definitely live in a beautiful city. With the growth that our... More

"Lack of Accountability"

I have been working at BC Transit full-time

Pros

In certain areas, there's a real team mentality and everyone looks out for each other.

Cons

In other areas, like the position I work, people get away with not even attempting to fulfill their job description. In other words, it's ripe with extremely lazy individuals, who could most likely get away with anything they want to. The Supervisors try to catch them, but there's a massive, bureaucratic mess standing in their way, which prevents them from being able to pass down punishment and deal with these individuals. In the meantime, anyone who possesses a work ethic is left to pick up the slack that's left behind.

Advice to Management

Give Supervisors the access and tools they need to do their jobs, when it comes to discipline, as you have several people in your company who are earning a pretty penny to sit and do nothing.

Sep 12, 2017

We very much appreciate you taking the time to leave these comments. With a rapidly growing organization, giving the necessary tools to supervisors needs to of course be kept at the same pace as the... More

5. "Supportive and Team Oriented"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Victoria, BC (Canada)

Pros

A wealth of professional development opportunities. The people are great, never been part of an organization where everyone is so friendly and willing to help. I find everyone is approachable, including the executives and directors.

Cons

The pay for professionals isn't as high as the private sector. Good benefits, but don't be surprised when you look at your pay cheque, especially after you pay mandatory pension contribution.

Sep 12, 2017

We're so glad you're enjoying your time here! Thank you for taking the time to share your comments.

6. "Company review"

I have been working at BC Transit full-time

Pros

Really great orientation, despite being a large Crown corporation still has a family feeling to it, everyone is super friendly. Flexibility to adjust schedule around my family life, compensation is very fair; lots of opportunity for growth within the company

Cons

Sometimes it can feel like decisions and changes are made very slowly although this could be due to the size of the company.

Sep 12, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments, we very much appreciate it!

7. "Meh"

I worked at BC Transit full-time

Pros

Good health plan with health spending account. Gym available for small price. Technology is good. Work/Life balance.

Cons

Pay is much lower than private side and managers are overpaid. Mandatory pension payments make the pay worse. Leadership does not know what they are doing. Poor communication.

"Buses are fun"

Former Employee - Bus Driver
    Former Employee - Bus Driver

Pros

You can drive a bus and meet people who like to ride buses. They have big buses.

Cons

You can only drive the bus as long as the transport guidelines allow.

9. "Co-op student - risk management"

Pros

Good pay
    Good work life balance

Cons

Work was dull at times

"Fun and engaging workplace"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Victoria, BC (Canada)

I have been working at BC Transit full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

BC Transit delivers and coordinates services all over the province (in over 130 communities). As a result, no two days are alike and you never know what new situation will emerge to challenge you. Working effectively in this environment requires strong teamwork and flexible attitudes. All the employees I've had the pleasure of working with exhibit these qualities every day and rise to the challenges successfully and with a smile.

Cons

It is a complicated business involving many partners around the province. Those factors lead to additional effort (communication, travel, meetings) that can sometimes cause stress. As long as folks come to the table with positive attitudes and a shared commitment to helping millions of people connect with their communities I've discovered even the greatest challenges can be fun to solve.

Advice to Management

Always take time to recognize the significant and frequent achievements being made daily in support of the strategic objectives!

Dec 28, 2016

Thanks for taking time to share this constructive feedback! We’re working hard on improving our employee recognition program and your suggestions will help us. Thank you!