BCF Reviews | Glassdoor

1. "Good Place To Work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Virginia Beach, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Virginia Beach, VA

I worked at BCF full-time

Pros

I worked at BCF for many years. I learned a ton and really enjoyed the clients I worked with. Travel tourism is a fun industry to work in which made it great!

Cons

There are downsides to all companies but there was nothing horrible about BCF. I think one big thing was that there was a lot of turn around when I was working there. Only a select few of us had been there for more than 5 years which sometimes made it hard. I felt like there were too many managers/partners and that not everyone was always on the same page most of the time, but that can be hard to do in such a fast-paced environment.

2. "An Honest Review and Response"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Virginia Beach, VA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at BCF full-time (More than a year)

Pros

To start, I'm of the mind that a good majority of the negative reviews you read on here are from rather bitter ex-employees who may ultimately have these same problems and these same issues no matter where they go. Not all, but some. I often wonder if it isn't a generally pessimistic mindset that leads to these overly critical reviews. Further, it seems that only unhappy people write reviews, so I thought I’d chime in as a current employee. This will be long, as I feel I should address the concerns of some of the other reviews.

BCF is a travel and destination branding and marketing agency, and, as is common with other agencies, agency life comes with a lot of pros.

There is a relaxed culture. Let's be real, only on client meeting days will you find a tie, collar or heel in here. There is a clear effort, supported by the partners and leaders of the agency, to cultivate a culture of creativity. Employees are encouraged to pursue passions and often find that coworkers will join in and support those interests as well. As such, absolutely, friend groups are formed. When you work with a passionate and talented group of people, you're likely to find common interests and reasons to spend time together outside of work hours.

On that, the hours are from 830-5. We are encouraged to complete work within those hours. If you're working overtime, your director/account sup knows why and you will be compensated as such. There is, with respect to getting work completed, leeway and room for needing to leave the office early or spend time working from home. Those are all options and partners/directors are more than willing to work to find a mutually beneficial compromise.

And yes, we find ways to blow off steam – be that through a beer on a Friday or a movie night on a Wednesday - we do take time to kick back and unwind. There is also a lot of personal investment into the agency itself; people care about the culture here and invest in it, individuals take time to deck the halls of the office or put on/participate in chili-cook offs, dessert exchanges, etc. There is a lot of cross-departmental culture growth.

What’s cool is that the leadership makes an effort to recognize employees for their good work through reward/recognition programs and invest in and actively support activities/office outings that support a cohesive culture.

I'd argue that any time I've had a private office concern and have communicated it as such, it has been handled with all of the social grace and discretion that could be offered. Our office manager is incredibly professional, caring, thorough and thoughtful.

BCF, being a travel & destination branding and marketing firm, gets to work with steady accounts that provide long-term based contracts, which is markedly different than project-based or contractual work for major brands. This line of work also allows for deeper, more rewarding relationships with the client and the product (destination), which ultimately fuels a passion for what it is that we do.

Also, travel. It is very encouraged and celebrated at BCF. A good majority of us have some serious wanderlust. Yes, the partners travel. And yes, the President/CEO travels. In turn, they love to hear about our travels and encourage exploration.

Location is great - right in the heart of an ever expanding and developing Town Center.

I could go on, but should probably get around to digging into the cons.

Cons

No, the agency isn't perfect. Yes, it has problems - just like every other place of employment.

I'd say, in general, we have a good amount of upper management and sometimes that means for a lot of cooks in the kitchen, which can affect things like when reviews happen (or their delay).

The client-facing members are built out team-style on accounts, and that does mean for some segregation. Some teams are bigger and longer-standing and some are fresher. However, BCF is also broken out department style, meaning that you don’t only have your immediate team members to turn to. Though some clients/teams may be smaller, an effort is made to ensure that no man is an island.

On these teams, there are levels of advancement. Given the smaller size of the agency, those steps may take a while to complete, but they're there. As is common in most agencies, given the opportunities for growth and career development, sometimes individuals find themselves ready to take on larger roles elsewhere and treating BCF as a step in their overall career.

The agency is small, relatively speaking. There are about ~50 of us, which is tough sometimes when it comes to work load. This also contributes to slower upward-progression. However, it also means for a personal relationship with upper management (very uncommon in larger agencies) and an understanding/knowledge of singular value as an employee. It means that you matter. It means that your personal life issues matter, and that there is willing, caring individual to work with you when circumstances arise.

Salaries and benefits… I’d argue that no one is in marketing for the salary (sans a few HUGE agencies’ CEOs). In the context of where we live and what we do, BCF offers competitive salaries. BCF is also very generous when it comes to benefits – above average, actually, specifically in health care benefits and retirement funds matching.

You see, the cons depend on what it is you’re looking for in a company/job. I’d argue any day that the pros far outweigh the cons here at BCF.

Advice to Management

Honestly, I’m not in a place to offer advice to management, seeing as I’ve never managed an agency before. I’d like to thank them for efforts made to keep the lines of communication open and encourage more of that candid communication when feasible; it would be great to continue to keep the entire agency abreast of any pertinent client issues, no sugar-coating. Further, I’d like to thank them for always taking employee concerns to heart and would like to commend and encourage further support of employee-initiated ideas/events/etc.; it is great that we get to be so hands on with the agency, and I think we’ve seen a lot of positive growth because of it.

3. "BCF"

Current Employee - Assistant Account Executive in Virginia Beach, VA
    Current Employee - Assistant Account Executive in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at BCF full-time (More than a year)

Pros

BCF has a relaxed, creative, supportive and honest atmosphere. The team of 50 or so works together really well and some pretty incredible work is produced.

Cons

Agency life can be hectic at times, but is rewarding overall.

4. "Good Place to Start a Career"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Virginia Beach, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at BCF full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some opportunity for travel, fun group of coworkers and easy-going, creative corporate culture. Great place for new graduates to get their feet wet because of the opportunities to get involved in a lot of different types of projects early on.

Cons

Seasoned employees with a basis for workplace comparison tend to be less satisfied working here due to the agency's inefficient internal processes, lack of recognition for good work, understaffed departments, prevalence of internal politics and absence of adequate leadership.

Advice to Management

Understand annual reviews alone are insufficient for effective development and establish a real professional development program. Leadership training for Supervisors and Directors is a must. Upper management should gain better understanding of how all departments function and operate so they can set their teams up for success. Establish a platform for anonymous employee feedback.

5. "Great experience with great people!"

I worked at BCF as an intern

Pros

The loveliest group of people.
    They do really cool work.
    Tons of office activities (Lip Sync Battle at a nearby bar, Drink and Draw one Thursday night).
    Interns actually do meaningful work!

Cons

If you're assigned to intern in one department but want to know more about another, it's up to you to take the initiative and seek that out. But that's not hard, and people were so cool about making time to talk.

6. "Account Services Intern"

I worked at BCF as an intern

Pros

Create Culture. Exciting Work. Friendly and helpful staff.

Cons

I have no complaints about BCF

7. "Good and Bad"

Former Employee - Quality Analyst
    Former Employee - Quality Analyst

Pros

Worked with some dedicated individuals that made it worth it.

Cons

-Too sales oriented and pushed us out of the client we were at.
    -Complaints about hostile work environment ignored.

"Poor Leadership + Toxic Culture"

I worked at BCF full-time

Pros

BCF is only good for entry-level folks looking to gain experience in the industry. It is not a place you'd want to stay at long, as integrity and values are severely lacking.

Also, if you prefer having access to alcohol instead of a high salary - that's a pro. Or, if wearing flip flops is more important than planning for retirement, BCF is the place for you.

Office location is cool.

Cons

Poor, chaotic leadership - Owner is often gallavanting around the country on personal jaunts, out of touch with what is happening at the agency; when there, he makes it obvious who his favorites are and changes things at the last minute; doesn't respect employees as individuals or care whether they have a life outside of work; other partners are not empowered to lead or make decisions when owner is gone

Toxic Culture - competition and back-stabbing are celebrated; creative ideas are awarded while execution and success via measurement are downplayed; cliques abound; honesty and integrety are virtues that don't matter - only creative ideas; employee turnover is extremely high

Benefits - Severely lacking: salaries are extremely low unless you're at a manager/director level; no set schedule or routine for reviews (they are often conducted months late); raises are arbitrary; claim to have end of year bonuses but that's also arbitrary; average vacation/sick time but they don't like when you use it; flexibility for dealing with personal needs varies depending on the manager, not per a company policy; 401k match sucks; offers health insurance but covers very little of the cost so monthly premium for the employee is extremely high

Clients - With the exception of a few long-standing clients, BCF has trouble maintaining new wins. Client turnover is high.

"Shady CEO"

Pros

Good tourism accounts, decent creative

Cons

The President uses the agency to fund his own lifestyle - often causing people to work weekends for peanuts while he goes skiing or rock climbing or builds his new dream home.

Advice to Management

Give back what you have been given. Care about your employees. Listen to other people besides just yourself. This is not an Art show.

"Somewhere to start..."

Pros

BCF has a family atmosphere, it's fun, they do cool work, and are laid back. They work with the newest graphic design technology and offer a great opportunity to learn the advertising business.

Cons

low salary, little advancement opportunity, too many people working there with outside work connections to upper management, too much is expected of the employees

Advice to Management

Promote from within and pay people what they are worth.