BGC Engineering Reviews | Glassdoor

BGC Engineering Reviews

Found 13 reviews

2.6

"Good people, high expectations, and poor compensation."

I have been working at BGC Engineering full-time for more than 6 years

Pros

Amazing coworkers and fun atmosphere. Demanding, but flexible work environment. Frequent social events and perks. Some opportunities for really exciting technical projects, but you need to be well connected to work on them.

Cons

No meaningful salary increases throughout the first 10 years of your career. They give large Christmas bonuses, but that still tends to leave your overall compensation well below industry averages for consulting. Limited share offers. Long hours and poor work/life balance. Starting to see an increase in non-technical projects.

Advice to Management

Reconnect with the current work-environment; this isn't the company you started in. Start treating your juniors and intermediates better. If compensation and working conditions do not improve we are going to keep losing good employees and the quality of our work is going to continue to suffer.

January 28, 2019Public Affairs

Thank you for your feedback on Glassdoor. We are sorry to hear about your frustrations as an employee and wanted to let you know that we have passed on your comments to the management team. Please consider talking to HR or your office manager about your views and experiences. We ...

2. "And then there were none"

I worked at BGC Engineering full-time

Pros

One of the smartest person I met worked there.

Cons

One of the smartest people I know was the founder, and he quit and I believe he started his own company.

Advice to Management

The management does not listen! There is a difference between a team and a clique. I think they actually believe they are team based and no silos, but there are....many.

July 26, 2018Public Affairs

I was sorry to read of your disappointment while working at BGC, but am writing to reassure you that your comments are taken seriously and passed along to the right people. There are challenges to ensuring a one team environment amongst a strong growing organization, but as a company ...

3. "Small man complex"

Former Employee - Engineer in Vancouver, BC

I worked at BGC Engineering full-time for more than 2 years

Pros

Depending on your manager, can be enjoyable

Cons

The braggadocio is beyond excessive and it's to overcompensate for being a small firm in a large field.

Advice to Management

Be realistic

May 14, 2018Public Affairs

Thank you for taking the time to write this review, we really do appreciate any and all feedback and will ensure your comments get to the right people. All the very best on your future endeavors.

"Lost its way"

I have been working at BGC Engineering full-time

Pros

If you're holding onto one of the management's pockets , you're in good hands. Otherwise you're either chargeable/dispensable and unknown.

Cons

Management team has lost its mentors and lost its way. Founders have left in the last few months and have been plugging $$$ into software/tech instead of what the company does, geotech engineering.

Advice to Management

Listen to the pros and seniors, not your egos. Get off this growth obsession bandwagon and start focusing on what BGC does, engineering.

"It's a crazy kind of place with exceptionally bright engineers, going through some transitional pains."

Former Employee - Applications Developer in Vancouver, BC

I worked at BGC Engineering full-time for more than 4 years

Pros

Lots of perks in exchange for hard work and dedication to the job. It can be really exciting, and everyone is pretty great to work with. Red tape and bureaucracy are at a minimum. The company's communication and leadership training is really well done and has the potential to effect a lot of change for the better.

Cons

The demands on your time can be frustrating. Talk about company goals and values can sometimes lead to eye rolling. The company is also still learning to value their dev team as something more than basic computer and data support. CAD and GIS are in a similar boat, being expected to meet demands without argument or discussion.

Advice to Management

Your employees are not all engineers. You need to understand what they do, what value and services they provide, and that they have different expectations around work -- overtime and on call in particular. Recognition of their value is needed. Treat them differently from the engineers and scientists, it's ok. And maybe take a look sometime at the provincial employment standards, make sure you're meeting them.

September 18, 2017Public Affairs

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experiences. We really do appreciated all the feedback and wanted to let you know that your thoughts and advice has been passed to the right people and is under review. In the meantime, we wish you all the very best in your new endeavors.

"Amazing Culture and Brilliant People"

I have been working at BGC Engineering full-time

Pros

BGC is a fun and engaging place to work. I have never met such passionate and intelligent professionals who are good at what they do and fun to work with. There is a large internal training program that demonstrates commitment to development of staff including a progressive leadership training program.

Cons

This is not the place to work if you subscribe to a strict work/life balance. The company attracts challenging projects which require everyone to dig in and work overtime during peak periods which can impact home life.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. Listening to feedback, communicating openly and attracting good people to the company.

"No communication"

I worked at BGC Engineering full-time

Pros

Freedom and flexibility to choose hours and work at your own pace in/outside the office. Stimulating field work with a lot of responsibility.

Cons

The "One-team approach" they are so adamant about is completely untrue . Many small groups have developed over the years and are very inclusive of the staff they hire. Little room to grow within the company outside of the projects they choose for you. Project managers have a high degree of favouritism to select employees (that dedicate insane hours to their computer screen). Vacation requests are like playing mario, be...

Advice to Management

Ease up on the joker statements like "best earth science consultants in the world by 2025". You're not a pizza restaurant or dry-cleaning service that can simply bring in new customers by claiming to be "the best". This internal marketing push is bringing in the big consulting firm vibe, and it isn't working. Start listening to the requests of your employees instead of brushing off their concerns.

"Poop roll downhill"

I worked at BGC Engineering full-time

Pros

Some truly brilliant engineers. Company founder is a technical genius. No real standards to abide by. A reasonable amount of freedom in how you get your work done.

Cons

No standards also means no guidance. The company title tells it all. The company is an extension of the founder's personality. Very disrespectful conduct from a lot of the senior staff as a result. Company has only a handful of large clients and bites off more than it can chew. If any one client cancels a contract the company is in serious financial trouble, so the management is beholden to their large cap clients...

Advice to Management

Stop chasing the money and stop using "trial by fire"/negative motivation.

9. "Great working environment and great team to help each other."

Current Employee - CAD Technician in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at BGC Engineering full-time for more than 4 years

Pros

Flexible hours, can work remotely when needed, trust among each other, very family oriented team and company

Cons

All I want to do is relax after a very long winter (busy season)

10. "my time"

I worked at BGC Engineering

Pros

good pay,good team,good view,good luck

Cons

poor management,bully culture,no career advacement

Found 13 reviews