BGC Engineering Reviews

3.1
BGC Engineering President and CEO Steve Hedberg
Steve Hedberg
1 Rating
  1. "Great company to work for, even if you aren't much for mining or pipelines"

5.0
    Current Employee - Technologist - Geomatics

I have been working at BGC Engineering full-time for less than a year

Pros

-Interesting work, every day is different -Supportive culture/environment -Ability to get involved with projects that actually interest you -Most work is not 'Cookie Cutter' monotonous work. You actually have to use your brain to solve a problem that doesn't necessarily have a right/wrong answer -I've been here for almost a year now and have yet to discover anyone I'd describe as an 'a-hole' (and in fact, one of the company slogans is that "Life is too short to work with a-holes, which they seem to have taken to heart)

Cons

-Pay is on par with what I expected/hoped to start, but not exceptional -Stressful at times, but there's always support if you need it -Some of the projects I have personal moral qualms with, but it's quite easy to avoid that work if you don't want it. That said, when I do have to do it at least I know BGC will take their part extremely seriously and will do it to the best possible standard.

BGC Engineering2020-05-05

May 14, 2020Public Affairs

Thank you for taking the time to log your review here - much appreciated! I wanted to let you know we have passed your feedback on to the management team. Please continue to reach out for support when needed during busy times. It is great to know that you are enjoying the work so far and want to stick around :) Best regards, Lindi Braund Public Affairs for BGC

2. "Administrative Assistant"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Vancouver, BC

I worked at BGC Engineering full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great work enviornment, loads of workshops, lunch and learns, proactive advancement. Very hands on company.

Cons

Workload can be demanding, heavy

BGC Engineering2019-05-13

June 4, 2019Public Affairs

Thank you so much for this review and your comments above. There is no doubt our administrative team works very hard to help us deliver the best customer service to our clients. We are very proud of our admin' crew and continue to find ways to be connected with regular meetings, conferences and team gatherings wherever possible. All the best to you in your future endeavors and kind regards, Lindi Braund - Public Affairs.

"Great people, challenging projects but some growing pains"

I have been working at BGC Engineering full-time

Pros

Coworkers are very intelligent and helpful and most have become friends outside of work. The projects are challenging and diverse.

Cons

The company has grown rapidly since I started which means its small-company work environment has changed. It's become very corporate and more difficult to connect with people in the company but I think that's what happens when company's grow. Benefits and pay is average.

BGC Engineering2019-04-23

April 29, 2019Public Affairs

Thank you for your comments here, we really appreciate the feedback. You know you are in the company of good people when they become your friends outside of the work space and having co-workers as friends is true for many of us BGC'ers. One of the challenges of a growing, evolving team is connection and since we feel that connection is one of our strengths, it is concerning to hear that this might not be the case for you. We hope you can reach out to your office manager, HR or compass team member to give more of your insights into where we need improvements. Best wishes Lindi Braund Public Affairs

4. "Decent Company. Lots of personalities"

I have been working at BGC Engineering full-time

Pros

Very technical work and a wide range of project types to be a part of. If you enjoy responsibility, lots can be given to you early in your career.

Cons

Junior staff are overworked and feel undervalued. The one team model often works but sometimes make projects difficult when they're being run out of different offices.

BGC Engineering2019-04-08

April 8, 2019Public Affairs

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. Yes, we are having an unusually busy start to this year and our juniors are working hard as ever. We are working on a range of things to improve – from hiring new juniors and summer students to adding mentoring and goal setting in our performance review process. Any additional suggestions on how to improve our one-team is always appreciated. Please feel free to also reach out to your OM, HR or the Compass Team. Thanks again - Feedback like this will certainly help us move forward. Lindi Braund - Public Affairs.

"Good people, high expectations, and poor compensation."

I have been working at BGC Engineering full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Amazing coworkers and fun atmosphere. Demanding, but flexible work environment. Frequent social events and perks. Some opportunities for really exciting technical projects, but you need to be well connected to work on them.

Cons

No meaningful salary increases throughout the first 10 years of your career. They give large Christmas bonuses, but that still tends to leave your overall compensation well below industry averages for consulting. Limited share offers. Long hours and poor work/life balance. Starting to see an increase in non-technical projects.

BGC Engineering2019-01-22

January 28, 2019Public Affairs

Thank you for your feedback on Glassdoor. We are sorry to hear about your frustrations as an employee and wanted to let you know that we have passed on your comments to the management team. Please consider talking to HR or your office manager about your views and experiences. We continue to look for ways to improve and your detailed input would be helpful. We are committed to living our values and creating a positive work experience for everyone at BGC. Lindi Braund - Public Affairs.

"And then there were none"

I worked at BGC Engineering full-time

Pros

One of the smartest person I met worked there.

Cons

One of the smartest people I know was the founder, and he quit and I believe he started his own company.

BGC Engineering2018-07-08

July 26, 2018Public Affairs

I was sorry to read of your disappointment while working at BGC, but am writing to reassure you that your comments are taken seriously and passed along to the right people. There are challenges to ensuring a one team environment amongst a strong growing organization, but as a company we are invested in our connections within the workforce and in bringing people together. Thank you for taking the time to comment here and I wish you all the best in your future endeavors. Lindi Braund - Public Affairs

"Small man complex"

Former Employee - Engineer in Vancouver, BC

I worked at BGC Engineering full-time for more than a year

Pros

Depending on your manager, can be enjoyable

Cons

The braggadocio is beyond excessive and it's to overcompensate for being a small firm in a large field.

BGC Engineering2018-05-08

May 14, 2018Public Affairs

Thank you for taking the time to write this review, we really do appreciate any and all feedback and will ensure your comments get to the right people. All the very best on your future endeavors.

"Lost its way"

1.0

I have been working at BGC Engineering full-time

Pros

If you're holding onto one of the management's pockets , you're in good hands. Otherwise you're either chargeable/dispensable and unknown.

Cons

Management team has lost its mentors and lost its way. Founders have left in the last few months and have been plugging $$ into software/tech instead of what the company does, geotech engineering.

BGC Engineering2017-11-09

"It's a crazy kind of place with exceptionally bright engineers, going through some transitional pains."

Former Employee - Applications Developer in Vancouver, BC

I worked at BGC Engineering full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Lots of perks in exchange for hard work and dedication to the job. It can be really exciting, and everyone is pretty great to work with. Red tape and bureaucracy are at a minimum. The company's communication and leadership training is really well done and has the potential to effect a lot of change for the better.

Cons

The demands on your time can be frustrating. Talk about company goals and values can sometimes lead to eye rolling. The company is also still learning to value their dev team as something more than basic computer and data support. CAD and GIS are in a similar boat, being expected to meet demands without argument or discussion.

BGC Engineering2017-08-10

September 18, 2017Public Affairs

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experiences. We really do appreciated all the feedback and wanted to let you know that your thoughts and advice has been passed to the right people and is under review. In the meantime, we wish you all the very best in your new endeavors.

"Amazing Culture and Brilliant People"

5.0

I have been working at BGC Engineering full-time

Pros

BGC is a fun and engaging place to work. I have never met such passionate and intelligent professionals who are good at what they do and fun to work with. There is a large internal training program that demonstrates commitment to development of staff including a progressive leadership training program.

Cons

This is not the place to work if you subscribe to a strict work/life balance. The company attracts challenging projects which require everyone to dig in and work overtime during peak periods which can impact home life.

BGC Engineering2017-05-26