Babbletype Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Transcription and Proofreading"

Current Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer
    Current Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer

I have been working at Babbletype (Less than a year)

Pros

I really like having a set deadline daily for when assignments are due. It makes it much easier to plan ahead and manage my time. If I need a day off, it's as simple as not requesting any assignments for that day. If I get done with personal errands early on a day that I didn't request assignments, I can pick up any work that is not currently assigned. As long as I meet deadlines, I can work at my leisure. I also greatly enjoy the ranking system where people who consistently turn in quality work can move up in rank to ensure getting assignments when work is available. Email and Skype requests are answered promptly, sometimes even by the owner when no one else is available to assist.

Cons

There are reviewers staffed seven days a week, but sometimes it's a little harder to get quality help on the weekends. There are no vacation or sick days, but that's the nature of pay per task production and independent contract work.

Advice to Management

You've got a good thing going. Watch out for possible power trips on weekends that potentially run people off.

2. "Transcription"

I worked at Babbletype as a contractor

Pros

on your own time, interesting, incentive to get better, flexible

Cons

no guarantee of available work, first come first served, worthwhile based on how good you are

"Great for trascription training but..."

Current Contractor - Transcriptionist
    Current Contractor - Transcriptionist

I have been working at Babbletype as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Work from home - Flexible hours

This was my first transcribing job. It has served as good training ground for developing a thick skin and also a lesson in patience in not giving people a piece of my mind. I wanted to learn transcribing so I stuck with it. It taught me how to be super accurate (otherwise, I wouldn't get paid). I was even "promoted" to a senior transcriber after a couple of months. That's where the applause ends. Keep reading...

Cons

This promotion to a senior worker-bee did NOT involve a pay increase. It did, however, afford me the opportunity to have daily work preassigned to me rather than waiting around like a vulture to grab and scratch for something off of the massive, cumbersome spreadsheet which houses all of the daily assignment info.

My whole attitude toward Babbletype changed when we received a notice that our pay was being DECREASED. It was already a sorry $0.50 per audio minute and they lowered it to $0.45 per audio minute -- they needed to remain competitive in the industry. LIES and MORE LIES because shortly after this pay cut, there was a HUGE influx of work which they were, literally, begging us to complete. This went on for weeks leading up to the winter holidays. What a slap in the face!! You lower my money and then beg me to do more work?? What company operates that way? No company with any amount of integrity would do that to the people that make their business grow.

Well, as I said, it has been good training ground. Meanwhile, I signed on with a couple of other companies. One of these companies, a GREAT one, gave out BONUSES for taking on their influx of work. AND unlike Babbletype, they have friendly, helpful staff who encourage you and WANT to see you succeed.

Now, back to the pay issue. IF we were doing straight typing, IF the audio file quality was great, IF we didn't have so many formats to contend with, IF we didn't have to timestamp, IF we didn't have to insert speaker labels, IF the work environment were more pleasant..... then their pay rate would suffice. However, none of those IFs are a reality so...

I'm not disgruntled. I'm just wiser now. Thanks BT for showing me what type of company NOT to be associated with.

Advice to Management

- Create a better, more streamlined work flow process that's FAIR for everyone
    - Be consistent in your style requirements. Too many arbitrary, inconsistencies.
    - Take the time to put the style requirements/editorial guidelines in ONE document with a table of contents.
    - Increase the pay or loosen the requirements (i.e. timestamping)
    - Understand the value of treating contractors with dignity and respect
    - Be honest and show integrity of intent
    - Realize that you aren't the only show in the circus

"terrible pay"

Former Contractor - Transcription in Kingston, PA
    Former Contractor - Transcription in Kingston, PA

I worked at Babbletype as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Remote
    Management responded to questions/issues fairly quickly

Cons

$0.40 an audio minute is less than half of US industry standard.
    22-hour deadlines
    Daily Google Sheet is so overloaded it regularly crashes Chrome.

Advice to Management

If you're going to advertise somewhere, pay more than the minimum wage.

"A Good Work From Home Gig"

Current Contractor - Transcriber
    Current Contractor - Transcriber

I have been working at Babbletype as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Transcribers are totally in control of how much they do, and when they choose to do it. You can start signing up for jobs at 6:00 p.m. ET each day, and then those jobs are due at 4:00 p.m. ET the following day. Whenever I've had a problem or a question, someone has gotten back to me within minutes, no matter the time of day or night.
    I gave "Career Opportunities" one star because it is what it is. "Senior" transcribers have access to more jobs, but I've never had an issue with getting work. Every day that I've logged on, there's been more than enough work to go around.
    The instructions are detailed and their processes are streamlined. Any job that has "failed" has always been explained to me. I get regular feedback on my work.

Cons

The bottom line is, most people don't stick with transcribing long enough to get good at it. The first couple weeks I wasn't crazy about it, and it was taking me forever to finish jobs. I've been there 6 weeks now, and I feel like I have a good handle on things.
    The pay should be higher for more challenging jobs.
    It is sort of a sink or swim atmosphere. The instructions are very good and detailed, and I have also gotten a quick response to questions, but there is no hand-holding.

Advice to Management

Increase the pay per audio minute for more challenging transcribing jobs. Give new transcribers one practice job to work on, so they can get used to using the Tracker and become acquainted with Babbletype's format and style.

"Vultures"

Former Freelancer - Transcriber in Kansas City, MO
    Former Freelancer - Transcriber in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Babbletype (More than a year)

Pros

Absolutely none!!! No pros at all.

Cons

You will work your butt off and get 5$. No joke. I type very fast and score above average on all English tests. They pay low to begin with and then find something wrong so they can cut your pay in half. Ill work for lower pay to be at home but i will not work for hours and hours for 10$. Theses people are vultures and they are the only ones making money in the situation.

Advice to Management

You should already know what needs to change. You know you are vultures and don't care at all. You have no integrity or character. You're a sweatshop.
    My only advice is to close your so called business down. Good day!!!

"Would not recommend for work unless money is no concern and you just want practice."

Former Contractor - Freelance Transcriptionist
    Former Contractor - Freelance Transcriptionist

I worked at Babbletype as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Work from home.
    Set your own hours within a max 22 hour turnaround time frame.

Cons

Do not pay enough for the amount of rules and expectations set forth.
    If you "fail" an assignment after hours of working on it and doing your best, you only get paid half of what the initial pay was.
    Once you get preferred senior IC status, you get to request so many minutes daily, but do not get a choice on which assignments are given and if you decline too much, you are removed from senior IC status and forced back into the "pool" of workers.
    Reviewers are those that do the typing as well, such as yourself, and you may have one that is not as strict and pass you or one that fails you for the exact thing you did on the previous and passed.

Advice to Management

Increase your pay or lower your expectations.
    Be more friendly and understanding considering how you are running your business.
    Make sure that ALL of your reviewers are using the exact same standards so that you know what to do and not do on each assignment.

"Horrible job training"

I worked at Babbletype as a contractor

Pros

The only thing I can say is that you can work from home. That's all.

Cons

Omg, where do I begin.? First of all, there is no training except for this video and a lot of questions are not answered. The pieces you get are hard to understand.
    I know I didn't work long with them but they do tell you that if you can't finish to let them know. Well, I have and they still didn't like it.
    It's nearly impossible to get a fair rating. I worked all day to be told FAILED. That is very discouraging.

Advice to Management

Find some people that know what they are doing. I don't know who's making any money here but it sure isn't the workers like me.

"Beware: This Job is a SCAM"

Former Contractor - Transcriptionist in Baltimore, MD
    Former Contractor - Transcriptionist in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Babbletype as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

You can kind of work your own hours. That is it.

Cons

They pay you nothing for 2-4 hours of transcribing an audio file and then find very small reasons to fail you. For example, they will pay you $0.50 per audio minute if you pass, which for 4 to 5 hours of work sometimes, that is $2 to $3 an hour. Nothing. They didn't like my performance and terminated my contract because I couldn't keep up with their ridiculous standards. This company treats their independent contractors like dirt. Please, don't work for this company. Ever.

Advice to Management

Pay your workers more for god sakes.

"Transcribing - Interesting Topics, Great for Beginners"

Current Freelancer - Independent Contractor
    Current Freelancer - Independent Contractor

I have been working at Babbletype (Less than a year)

Pros

*Work remotely - Choose your own assignments - Set your own schedule
    *Broad range of interesting topics from focus groups, market research studies, and in-depth interviews - Get paid to increase your knowledge...and your vocabulary
    *Upfront scale of standard pay per assignment - Allows freelance transcribers to request increase in pay when a difficult recording is encountered - Partial payments for assignments which fail to meet their standards
    *Helpful staff members - Quick response rate
    *Email only communication (aka NO PHONE CALLS! Hooray!)
    *Welcomes beginners to the world of transcription - Provides individual feedback per assignment completed to help increase skills/performance
    *Easy online application process - No cost to join/apply
    *Weekly payments sent via PayPal - Sends detailed payment statements
    *Provides instructional guide to walk you step-by-step through their processes & documents
    *Company requires usage of Google Chrome & Drive (Love 'Google' personally)

Cons

*Takes time to learn a strategy of attacking the workload in order to make the time spent on the assignments worthwhile financially
    *NOT intended to supplement a full-time salary - Suggest use for "extra" cash flow only
    *Pay attention to instructional guide - Take notes
    *Daily spreadsheet of available assignments is hard to decipher at first and takes some time to become accustomed to its layout - Suggest searching 'YouTube' for tutorial videos
    *For beginners, assignments require significant amount of time to execute
    *Deadlines are always 22 hours (or less) from time assignment is accepted
    *Until you reach senior independent contractor status, the assignments available are a free-for-all - Must claim your work as quickly as possible upon daily release of available work in order to ensure you receive an assignment (if you wait to long, all the projects available for the day will be taken)
    *Some recordings are difficult to decipher due to poor audio, but a great set of headphones can make a significant difference

Advice to Management

*Assign initial project(s) to freelance contractors completing the on-boarding process
    *Offer a professional video tutorial to educate newcomers in the usage of the daily production spreadsheet
    *Provide a sample recording with corresponding text/document sample for each of the transcription styles offered so newcomers can easily familiarize themselves with the expectations of both company & client