Babbletype Reviews | Glassdoor

Babbletype Reviews

Updated Sep 8, 2019

Found 48 reviews

2.1
Babbletype CEO John Feldcamp (no image)
John Feldcamp

"Transcriber proofreader QA"

Current Contractor - Transcriber Proofreader in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I have been working at Babbletype for less than a year

Pros

I love working with Babbletype. I think they have very friendly staff. Some of these reviews baffle me because they aren't true. Babbletype is like any other freelancing company. You pick and choose the files you want to work on and turn them in by 4 the next day, easy. If you see you file didn't pass review, look at the notes, go back in and fix the mistakes, ask for another review. The reviewers highlight things... you did wrong so you can see. Once you learn the tracker, you're good to go. I love working with them.

Cons

The only thing I can say bad is sometimes there isn't enough work. But that's everywhere.

Advice to Management

Let's get more customers :) and maybe a community where everyone can communicate and help each other out.

Babbletype2018-09-25

"BAD EMPLOYER STAY AWAY NOT WORTH IT"

Former Contractor - Transcriber Proofreader in New York, NY

I worked at Babbletype for more than a year

Pros

Flexible and independent with ability to schedule your own time.

Cons

No consistency in how work is graded. Also mistakes are found after work has been submitted and not caught by reviewer which does not make sense. Also some of the reviewers may not look you and change your work once you have submitted for review and then you get in trouble for work that was submitted with errors. I truly believe that some reviewers tamper with work of some contractors whom they do not like.

Advice to Management

Always make sure that before work is sent over to client that it has been properly reviewed and no errors found. Also John Feldman trying to be hard core and not willing to listen to your contractors who work for you is wrong and this goes too as well for Angela Wood who is the ring leader in finding fault with everything and has a lot of influence on John... very sad state of affairs!

Babbletype2019-09-08
  3. "transcription"

Former Employee - Transcriptionist in Canada, KS

I worked at Babbletype part-time for less than a year

Pros

None, everything is a con here

Cons

almost everything is a con at this company. Do not recommend

Babbletype2019-02-15

"Trying very hard to think of one good thing - can't."

Former Contractor - Transcriptionist

I worked at Babbletype for less than a year

Pros

The pros are the same pros working online as any contractor has with any transcription/captioning website.

Cons

The pay is low and they make it even lower by very critically grading your work. You are penalized for bad audios so they only have to pay half of their already low price per minute. There is no support, even when asked professionally, no help was received. Every audio is different, so to apply 20 pages of rules that supposedly pertain to each and every audio is just insane. The way they post jobs and the way... you choose your work is very complicated and confusing and I am an advanced Excel user.

Advice to Management

Treat your contractor like the workers you want them to be, not faceless, nameless fingers tapping keys while you're (inaudible) raking it in.

Babbletype2019-02-17
  5. "Chaotic"

Current Freelancer - Transcriptionist

I have been working at Babbletype for less than a year

Pros

If a job you've done fails review, at least you get 50% of the pay for it.

Cons

Poor communication as to what exactly is expected. It's a very chaotic system just to choose jobs and you have to search through three or four forms sometimes to find answers to the correct style and set up. And then when you do get feedback, it can be so vague for someone not familiar with their style.

Advice to Management

Change to a simpler system and have better communication.

Babbletype2018-12-31

"Transcription"

Current Employee - Independent Contractor in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Babbletype part-time for less than a year

Pros

Work from home, independent pay

Cons

Never enough work, platform not easy to use

Babbletype2018-09-12

"No"

Former Contractor - Transcription and Review

I worked at Babbletype for more than 3 years

Pros

None. Do not work here. Too little for even a side job or extra money. Not worth the time versus work in the slightest and they do not treat people with respect or loyalty. They do not take recommendations for improvement lightly and will off you for it because they are scamming and if you expose it, they get upset lol.

Cons

-Speed up the audio files by a good 10 percent sometimes. (Source: An audio engineer for over 10 years and can easily tell.) -Inadequate pay vs. time - no loyalty or recognition whatsoever -****** Files are dangerous to health as they are not checked or edited and contain harmful frequencies consistently that will cause permanent hearing loss******* -Have to make the others feel comfortable (meaning... reviewers, which I was shortly before I realized how little the pay was versus time for that role.......) or they won't value you, no matter how good your work. Real club here. No actual improvement, just feeling good and yessing each other to death. -No room for moving up. After three years of consistent quality work, they moved me DOWN until eventually it was too much and I had to leave due to terrible treatment of contractors and cyber-bullying into a hostile environment. -You're being taken advantage of with the draw of an easy at-home job and your own hours. -Unlivable wage no matter how much you work, even to roommate and go half with someone, anywhere in the entire country of America. -Fake Contractors (Impossible amounts of minutes completed on payroll ) - Embezzlement. Babbletype routinely shorts contractors on minutes and such things to embezzle money. There have been multiple times when my paycheck was less than it should have been until I brought it up. Check your minutes compared to the actual audio file, as they will likely be short of the full file. -Horrible quality audio files with no pay upgrade, although they claim to have one, to the already atrocious rate. Sacrificing transcriptionist's health for pennies. They will never approve a request for a rate increase, so don't even ask. I am a professional audio engineer over 10 years and they hated me to death and just plain stopped giving pay rate increases altogether because I had been there so long, once again, taking advantage of someone who obviously has no other options, because if they did, they wouldn't be looking for work at Babbletype. - Seems like a money laundering operation more than an actual business,

Advice to Management

Pay people for the time they work properly and don't try to cheat for pennies to keep your company alive. If you can't afford it, close the company. Don't steal people's lives. After three years they let me go because I called them on discrimination, an offense that is punishable by prison.

Babbletype2018-08-30

"Consistent BS"

I have been working at Babbletype part-time for less than a year

Pros

What pros? I’d rather get paid when I’m forced to lose sleep. Thanks.

Cons

If you’re Leary from the beginning after your first file, when it gets flagged but passes, on if you’re going to get paid or not there’s a reason. They don’t like to pay. If you work all night and lose your sleep (which is required to possibly get these files transcribed by deadline the next day) you still have to fix your errors. The training (yes it self trained and very contradictory) says that the point of DE... files is to get a running start on files and the main point of these files is to transcribe verbatim so that it can get through the other processes (meaning by other employees) before it’s turned into the client. How they actually treat these files is you have to perfect them or you fail. So don’t fall for that if you see that in the training. Then even when it passes you’re left waiting around for a pay check that doesn’t come. Every night you lose your sleep to work on more projects to increase your earnings. You tirelessly devote 10 hours or more to thirty audio minutes( all files are generally this long in the daily sign up sheets). You have to be first one to the buggy spreadsheet to grab work and that process alone takes an hour. It’s a live interactive sheet that everyone’s grabbing over at the same time. You have to find some job you think you want, request it by pasting your “number” check the audio to make sure it’s what you want by downloading it and then copy all the info about the job and paste it somewhere else then mark it as taken . Then update them on your progress every hour while you’re working on the live interactive transcribing documents. They say in training you’re allowed to use express Scribe to type but as soon as you get to the assignments you see in bold that they don’t allow you to do that. Doesn’t all this sound like fun? No way! The work comes in at dinner time everyday. No coincidence honestly.

Advice to Management

1)Update training manuals with the real info especially in areas of direct contradiction to what an employee actually encounters when they start. 2) allow direct errors to be visible. Giving a specific example and eliminating OPINIONS from your process.

Babbletype2018-07-31

"Decent... but could be better."

Current Freelancer - Transcriptionist

I have been working at Babbletype for less than a year

Pros

I love the ability to work from home and at my own pace. I suffer from migraines and it's very hard for me to keep a steady job that I need to travel to. That being said, BabbleType has been the only company that I've found so far that gives an okay pay for the amount of work I do, while still giving me the flexibility that I need on those tough to work days. Most of the jobs are very easy, and I find myself doing... around 3-4 jobs in the allotted 22 hour period. Now, I'm not the fastest typer, but I think that's pretty good for the pace that I'm typically at. Everyone I've seen on here complains about the pay. Yes, it's not the greatest at 45 cents an audio minute. But unless you're specially trained in medical or legal, this is about as good as it's going to get. I haven't found a company that pays better than this for doing measly general transcription jobs. Honestly, if that type of pay is a huge issue for you, then transcription is not for you... plain and simple.

Cons

My only complaint is the Google spreadsheet they use to assign jobs. When there are a significant number of contractors on, the sheet gets bogged down very quickly. You also have to fight a few of those ignorant and inconsiderate contractors who try to steal your job after you've claimed it, but that's the fight you have to be willing to fight with this company. You also need to be a senior contractor to be able to... sign up for work a day prior to the assignments going out.

Advice to Management

Let other contractors sign up for assignments like the senior contractors do, even if they get priority, it would still be nice to have a chance to be guaranteed work coming if, if the workflow allows, instead of fighting everyone on the spreadsheet.

Babbletype2018-05-29

"Don't Bother."

Current Freelancer - Proofreader

I have been working at Babbletype for less than a year

Pros

You can set your own schedule within 22 hours. It gives you professional experience in proofreading.

Cons

Mostly everything. The way the spreadsheet is constructed. Projects being available 3-4 days out of the 7 day work week and when there is work, it's a first come, first serve system. If you do sign up for a job, there's a chance you could fail the project and won't even get paid. Basically a contractor can receive $5-7 a project and you're only allowed to work on one a day. So if you get a project for the days that... they're available, you'll be getting paid that much a day, which is not enough to live on.

Advice to Management

Create a better system for the sign up process. Raise the the amount a contractor can earn. Give detailed explanations as to why we fail projects so we won't waste our time next time.

Babbletype2018-07-08