Babbletype Reviews | Glassdoor

John Feldcamp

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Transcription and Proofreading"

I have been working at Babbletype (Less than a year)

Pros

I really like having a set deadline daily for when assignments are due. It makes it much easier to plan ahead and manage my time. If I need a day off, it's as simple as not requesting any assignments for that day. If I get done with personal errands early on a day that I didn't request assignments, I can pick up any work that is not currently assigned. As long as I meet deadlines, I can work at my leisure. I also greatly enjoy the ranking system where people who consistently turn in quality work can move up in rank to ensure getting assignments when work is available. Email and Skype requests are answered promptly, sometimes even by the owner when no one else is available to assist.

Cons

There are reviewers staffed seven days a week, but sometimes it's a little harder to get quality help on the weekends. There are no vacation or sick days, but that's the nature of pay per task production and independent contract work.

Advice to Management

You've got a good thing going. Watch out for possible power trips on weekends that potentially run people off.

"Consistent BS"

I have been working at Babbletype part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

What pros? I’d rather get paid when I’m forced to lose sleep. Thanks.

Cons

If you’re Leary from the beginning after your first file, when it gets flagged but passes, on if you’re going to get paid or not there’s a reason. They don’t like to pay. If you work all night and lose your sleep (which is required to possibly get these files transcribed by deadline the next day) you still have to fix your errors. The training (yes it self trained and very contradictory) says that the point of DE files is to get a running start on files and the main point of these files is to transcribe verbatim so that it can get through the other processes (meaning by other employees) before it’s turned into the client. How they actually treat these files is you have to perfect them or you fail. So don’t fall for that if you see that in the training. Then even when it passes you’re left waiting around for a pay check that doesn’t come. Every night you lose your sleep to work on more projects to increase your earnings. You tirelessly devote 10 hours or more to thirty audio minutes( all files are generally this long in the daily sign up sheets). You have to be first one to the buggy spreadsheet to grab work and that process alone takes an hour. It’s a live interactive sheet that everyone’s grabbing over at the same time. You have to find some job you think you want, request it by pasting your “number” check the audio to make sure it’s what you want by downloading it and then copy all the info about the job and paste it somewhere else then mark it as taken . Then update them on your progress every hour while you’re working on the live interactive transcribing documents. They say in training you’re allowed to use express Scribe to type but as soon as you get to the assignments you see in bold that they don’t allow you to do that. Doesn’t all this sound like fun? No way! The work comes in at dinner time everyday. No coincidence honestly.

Advice to Management

1)Update training manuals with the real info especially in areas of direct contradiction to what an employee actually encounters when they start.
    2) allow direct errors to be visible. Giving a specific example and eliminating OPINIONS from your process.

"Don't Bother."

Current Freelancer - Proofreader
    Current Freelancer - Proofreader

I have been working at Babbletype (Less than a year)

Pros

You can set your own schedule within 22 hours. It gives you professional experience in proofreading.

Cons

Mostly everything. The way the spreadsheet is constructed. Projects being available 3-4 days out of the 7 day work week and when there is work, it's a first come, first serve system. If you do sign up for a job, there's a chance you could fail the project and won't even get paid. Basically a contractor can receive $5-7 a project and you're only allowed to work on one a day. So if you get a project for the days that they're available, you'll be getting paid that much a day, which is not enough to live on.

Advice to Management

Create a better system for the sign up process. Raise the the amount a contractor can earn. Give detailed explanations as to why we fail projects so we won't waste our time next time.

"Sad state of affairs!"

Former Contractor - Transcriptionist
    Former Contractor - Transcriptionist

I worked at Babbletype as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

You can work from home which is great. Not everyone has to work for money. Some people, like myself, just want to do something to do. I started with work because I had been an audio typist/secretary many years ago and know the work.

Cons

This is by far the worst company I have EVER worked for and that's saying something! Once you get over having to train yourself and have a handle on that, you then have to content with nitpicking QAs. I failed all but 2 of my assignments but each time the reasons were never really clear and even when I tried to go back and correct them, I still failed. I am not working for the money so the time I spent wasn't the most annoying part of this. What I am so upset about is they really don't let you know what you did to fail you. They use Google Docs but as noted by some other reviewers, this can easily be tampered with. The QAs are not helpful and you get the feeling you shouldn't disturb them. The women are worse than the men. Only one reviewer actually complimented my efforts. I got used to their spreadsheet tracker system and finished all my assignments on time, but each time but 2 failed because of their consistent nitpicking. It's a shame because I worked for them because of the love of transcribing and if I wasn't more resilient they could have really demoralized me, but I will be looking at other companies to do this work and know I will find one that will appreciate my work.

Advice to Management

1. Train your newbies properly.
    2. Talk to your staff about being nicer to people.
    3. Have a consistent review strategy - one reviewer could fail you and another pass you for the same assignment.
    4. John Feldcamp, you need to talk to your staff, but then maybe the reason they are this way is because you allow it. If so, not cool!

5. "Decent... but could be better."

Current Freelancer - Transcriptionist
    Current Freelancer - Transcriptionist

I have been working at Babbletype (Less than a year)

Pros

I love the ability to work from home and at my own pace. I suffer from migraines and it's very hard for me to keep a steady job that I need to travel to. That being said, BabbleType has been the only company that I've found so far that gives an okay pay for the amount of work I do, while still giving me the flexibility that I need on those tough to work days. Most of the jobs are very easy, and I find myself doing around 3-4 jobs in the allotted 22 hour period. Now, I'm not the fastest typer, but I think that's pretty good for the pace that I'm typically at. Everyone I've seen on here complains about the pay. Yes, it's not the greatest at 45 cents an audio minute. But unless you're specially trained in medical or legal, this is about as good as it's going to get. I haven't found a company that pays better than this for doing measly general transcription jobs. Honestly, if that type of pay is a huge issue for you, then transcription is not for you... plain and simple.

Cons

My only complaint is the Google spreadsheet they use to assign jobs. When there are a significant number of contractors on, the sheet gets bogged down very quickly. You also have to fight a few of those ignorant and inconsiderate contractors who try to steal your job after you've claimed it, but that's the fight you have to be willing to fight with this company. You also need to be a senior contractor to be able to sign up for work a day prior to the assignments going out.

Advice to Management

Let other contractors sign up for assignments like the senior contractors do, even if they get priority, it would still be nice to have a chance to be guaranteed work coming if, if the workflow allows, instead of fighting everyone on the spreadsheet.

"Least favorite transcription company"

I have been working at Babbletype (Less than a year)

Pros

The only pro is, that money is sent into your PayPal account automatically each week.

Cons

Claiming a job is not very efficient.

There aren't very many jobs each day and they are only posted once a day. Once the jobs are posted it's a race to try to snag one.

There are a lot of special things they want within the transcription file. Many style related formating issues they use to pay contractors a lesser rate for files if "incorrect"

They send a report stating a general list of your errors, however they don't give enough specifics as to what you did "wrong" so you can correct it and get paid the full rate on the next file.

Due to the many steps required and various Google document files etc. The transcription process takes entirely too long. There are several other companies to fo transcription for that have a much more streamlined system as well as built in toggle buttons to use in order to make the process more efficient and uniform.

I could go on and on. Long story short... Pick any other company. Don't waste your time...

Advice to Management

Get a better system all the way around.

Make jobs available throughout the day

Perhaps give better feedback on files, unless your goal is just to fail most files in order to pay less.

7. "Transcription"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Babbletype as a contractor

Pros

on your own time, interesting, incentive to get better, flexible

Cons

no guarantee of available work, first come first served, worthwhile based on how good you are

"Great for trascription training but..."

Current Contractor - Transcriptionist
    Current Contractor - Transcriptionist

I have been working at Babbletype as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Work from home - Flexible hours

This was my first transcribing job. It has served as good training ground for developing a thick skin and also a lesson in patience in not giving people a piece of my mind. I wanted to learn transcribing so I stuck with it. It taught me how to be super accurate (otherwise, I wouldn't get paid). I was even "promoted" to a senior transcriber after a couple of months. That's where the applause ends. Keep reading...

Cons

This promotion to a senior worker-bee did NOT involve a pay increase. It did, however, afford me the opportunity to have daily work preassigned to me rather than waiting around like a vulture to grab and scratch for something off of the massive, cumbersome spreadsheet which houses all of the daily assignment info.

My whole attitude toward Babbletype changed when we received a notice that our pay was being DECREASED. It was already a sorry $0.50 per audio minute and they lowered it to $0.45 per audio minute -- they needed to remain competitive in the industry. LIES and MORE LIES because shortly after this pay cut, there was a HUGE influx of work which they were, literally, begging us to complete. This went on for weeks leading up to the winter holidays. What a slap in the face!! You lower my money and then beg me to do more work?? What company operates that way? No company with any amount of integrity would do that to the people that make their business grow.

Well, as I said, it has been good training ground. Meanwhile, I signed on with a couple of other companies. One of these companies, a GREAT one, gave out BONUSES for taking on their influx of work. AND unlike Babbletype, they have friendly, helpful staff who encourage you and WANT to see you succeed.

Now, back to the pay issue. IF we were doing straight typing, IF the audio file quality was great, IF we didn't have so many formats to contend with, IF we didn't have to timestamp, IF we didn't have to insert speaker labels, IF the work environment were more pleasant..... then their pay rate would suffice. However, none of those IFs are a reality so...

I'm not disgruntled. I'm just wiser now. Thanks BT for showing me what type of company NOT to be associated with.

Advice to Management

- Create a better, more streamlined work flow process that's FAIR for everyone
    - Be consistent in your style requirements. Too many arbitrary, inconsistencies.
    - Take the time to put the style requirements/editorial guidelines in ONE document with a table of contents.
    - Increase the pay or loosen the requirements (i.e. timestamping)
    - Understand the value of treating contractors with dignity and respect
    - Be honest and show integrity of intent
    - Realize that you aren't the only show in the circus

"terrible pay"

Former Contractor - Transcription in Kingston, PA
    Former Contractor - Transcription in Kingston, PA

I worked at Babbletype as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Remote
    Management responded to questions/issues fairly quickly

Cons

$0.40 an audio minute is less than half of US industry standard.
    22-hour deadlines
    Daily Google Sheet is so overloaded it regularly crashes Chrome.

Advice to Management

If you're going to advertise somewhere, pay more than the minimum wage.

"A Good Work From Home Gig"

Current Contractor - Transcriber
    Current Contractor - Transcriber

I have been working at Babbletype as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Transcribers are totally in control of how much they do, and when they choose to do it. You can start signing up for jobs at 6:00 p.m. ET each day, and then those jobs are due at 4:00 p.m. ET the following day. Whenever I've had a problem or a question, someone has gotten back to me within minutes, no matter the time of day or night.
    I gave "Career Opportunities" one star because it is what it is. "Senior" transcribers have access to more jobs, but I've never had an issue with getting work. Every day that I've logged on, there's been more than enough work to go around.
    The instructions are detailed and their processes are streamlined. Any job that has "failed" has always been explained to me. I get regular feedback on my work.

Cons

The bottom line is, most people don't stick with transcribing long enough to get good at it. The first couple weeks I wasn't crazy about it, and it was taking me forever to finish jobs. I've been there 6 weeks now, and I feel like I have a good handle on things.
    The pay should be higher for more challenging jobs.
    It is sort of a sink or swim atmosphere. The instructions are very good and detailed, and I have also gotten a quick response to questions, but there is no hand-holding.

Advice to Management

Increase the pay per audio minute for more challenging transcribing jobs. Give new transcribers one practice job to work on, so they can get used to using the Tracker and become acquainted with Babbletype's format and style.