KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Babbletype Reviews

Updated Nov 21, 2021

Found 61 of over 61 reviews

2.4
Babbletype CEO John Feldcamp (no image)
John Feldcamp
Pros
  • "I love the ability to work from home and at my own pace(in 13 reviews)

• "Transcribers are totally in control of how much they do, and when they choose to do it(in 5 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Then update them on your progress every hour while you’re working on the live interactive transcribing documents(in 7 reviews)

• "50 per audio minute and they lowered it to(in 5 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

The latest conversations about Advertising

3,000

251 Comments

Join the conversation on

Ratings by Veteran Status

This rating reflects the overall rating of Babbletype and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

great pay

Apr 10, 2020 - Transcriptionist
      Business Outlook

Pros

flexible hours and lots of help

Cons

there is nothing bad about the company

2 people found this review helpful
    2. 4.0
      Current Contractor

Good start for newbies

Nov 21, 2021 - Transcriptionist in Duluth, MN
      Business Outlook

Pros

Willing to train people with zero experience Strong online support for workers Helpful resources for those new to this work Work is divided up by a supervisor, rather than a scrambling "first come first serve" that I've heard rumored about dinner transcription work Flexible schedule I'm thinking of it as a paid internship or stepping-stone job

Cons

Low pay and inconsistent availability of work.

Be the first to find this review helpful
    3. 2.0
      Former Contractor, less than 1 year

Good for Learning, but Not For a Regular Job

Sep 29, 2021 - Transciptionist
      Business Outlook

Pros

-Can work from home -Can set your own schedule

Cons

-The pay is very bad. Compared to other companies, the rate they offer ($0.45 per audio minute transcribed) is incredibly low. They may explain this by saying that they take new people who may not have transcription experience, but that really doesn’t cut it. It’s the same work, so they should pay a rate that is closer to other transcription services, like $0.75 per audio minute transcribed. -They do not differentiate pay based on poor audio quality or accents that are very difficult to understand. It’s the same rate, no matter what, which is taking advantage of the transcriber. Poor audio and hard to understand accents make the file take much longer to transcribe, so the pay should reflect that. Also, most of the transcriptions for them do not include crutch words, or active listening, so when you are randomly assigned a file that does include those, it will take much longer. Again, the pay should reflect that. -I was told in the beginning that if there was an accent that I just couldn’t understand, that it would be okay to decline the file, because not everyone can deal with every accent. Then, the one and only time I clearly and politely declined, the proofreader on duty tried to push me to do it anyway. That I could deal with, but after I again declined, I saw passive aggressive comments in Slack about “people who put in the work,” implying I wasn’t one of those people. That’s just rude. I had dealt with a lot of other accents, no trouble, and was only declining because I had been told it would be fine. -Some of their proofreaders don’t seem to understand proper grammar and punctuation. I have been told numerous times to change things that were actually correct. I have been told that I was using English spelling, when I was using the American spelling, silly stuff like that. Usually not worth fighting about, so I generally let it go. Also, it seemed like in every other assignment, I would be told that I had misheard something, only to go back and find that the audio was exactly what I had typed. I would always gently point this out, and ask them to tell me what they heard. Only one proofreader actually responded and admitted to making a mistake. It seems like many of the proofreaders are trying to reach a quota of mistakes found, or something like that. Oh, and also, if you are commenting that something is incorrect, you should probably proofread your own comment for spelling errors. -When I was hired, I was told over and over “you only work when you want to.” This was said many, many times. To support this assertion, I was told about an employee who was just coming back after being off for six weeks. I was assured that this sort of thing was no problem. Then I was offered a temporary job, to last eight weeks. I communicated to their scheduling person that if I took this job, I wouldn’t be available for that period of time, and gave them the exact date when I would be available once again. I was then told that since I would be gone during their busiest time, they would have to terminate the contract if I took this job. This is fine, in that it’s their choice to work with, or not work with whomever they want. However, it’s not very smart or reasonable, given what I was told. Why tell me this sort of thing was doable if it really wasn’t? Was that just to get me to accept the job? If they had told me that they couldn’t be sure how much work I would get when I came back, and that they would prioritize the people who had been there the last eight weeks, that would have been fine. Even in regular situations, they don’t guarantee work, so it’s not like they would have been obligated to assign me work over someone else. Also, since they don’t offer benefits (which they are very clear and upfront about) it wouldn’t be a burden, financially or otherwise, to keep me on. They could have said, “Hey we can’t guarantee that you’ll get any work for a while after you come back, but we can keep you on the list, just in case,” and I would have agreed to that. Instead, they decided it made more sense to permanently terminate the contract of a transcriber who had already been trained, and has a good track record of working the desired amount per week, and turning in assignments on time. Seems a bit silly, if you ask me, and it could have been solved with some simple, clear communication. I chose the other job, because in two months, I will make more than I would make in about 7 months at Babbletype.

1 person found this review helpful
    4. 1.0
      Former Contractor, more than 1 year

Usually not worth it

Aug 24, 2021 - Transcriptionist
      Business Outlook

Pros

Remote. You can sign up for as little or as much work as you want, if they have anything for you.

Cons

Low pay. Same pay given no matter the difficulty or number of speakers. Work not always available.

Be the first to find this review helpful
    5. 2.0
      Former Freelancer, more than 1 year

A company that doesn't value seniority and is not loyal to employees

Jan 8, 2020 - Senior French-English Translator in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

They have big clients so you get to work on high ticket market research projects where you transcribe and translate

Cons

- They don't care about quality. I gave them a lot of feedback and helped them design a new test for candidates. But still they don't bother about quality of translation - I worked as a reviewer and translator for 2 years with them, I am the top rated French-English translator there. I quit because even though I am senior, they didn't listen to my point of view about the review provided by a fellow reviewer which wasn't accurate.

6 people found this review helpful
    6. 2.0
      Former Freelancer, less than 1 year

D'not waist your time there

Aug 11, 2020 - Translator in Philadelphia, PA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Non. There is no pro

Cons

There tasks are not available. Ones a takes is posted, by the time you go to claim for it, it has already been taken by someone else

2 people found this review helpful
    7. 1.0
      Former Contractor, more than 1 year

BAD EMPLOYER STAY AWAY NOT WORTH IT

Sep 8, 2019 - Transcriber Proofreader in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible and independent with ability to schedule your own time.

Cons

No consistency in how work is graded. Also mistakes are found after work has been submitted and not caught by reviewer which does not make sense. Also some of the reviewers may not look you and change your work once you have submitted for review and then you get in trouble for work that was submitted with errors. I truly believe that some reviewers tamper with work of some contractors whom they do not like.

5 people found this review helpful
    8. 4.0
      Current Contractor, less than 1 year

A Good Work From Home Gig

Nov 22, 2017 - Transcriber
      Business Outlook

Pros

Transcribers are totally in control of how much they do, and when they choose to do it. You can start signing up for jobs at 6:00 p.m. ET each day, and then those jobs are due at 4:00 p.m. ET the following day. Whenever I've had a problem or a question, someone has gotten back to me within minutes, no matter the time of day or night. I gave "Career Opportunities" one star because it is what it is. "Senior" transcribers have access to more jobs, but I've never had an issue with getting work. Every day that I've logged on, there's been more than enough work to go around. The instructions are detailed and their processes are streamlined. Any job that has "failed" has always been explained to me. I get regular feedback on my work.

Cons

The bottom line is, most people don't stick with transcribing long enough to get good at it. The first couple weeks I wasn't crazy about it, and it was taking me forever to finish jobs. I've been there 6 weeks now, and I feel like I have a good handle on things. The pay should be higher for more challenging jobs. It is sort of a sink or swim atmosphere. The instructions are very good and detailed, and I have also gotten a quick response to questions, but there is no hand-holding.

7 people found this review helpful
    9. 2.0
      Former Freelancer, more than 3 years

A decent place to start a career, but nothing more.

Oct 31, 2019 - Proofreader in Beverly Hills, FL
      Business Outlook

Pros

They have a low entry threshold, so it's easy to get employed, and thus, you can earn experience quickly.

Cons

Unsteady work flow Poor compensation No benefits

1 person found this review helpful
    10. 3.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Decent Work, Honest Company

Nov 14, 2015 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

I appreciate the honesty of this company. They always tell it like it is, no fluff, no bs. They are willing to accept newcomers to the industry with no experience, so long as they do well on their test. I have worked for other companies (like Rev.com) that are unprofessional scams, and Babbletype is not that. They are professional and hands on. Their day time staff is very responsive and helpful.

Cons

The pay is very low and the work is not always there. I noticed recently that they over-hire. This causes there to be a lot less work available. It feels unfair, especially if you are willing to dedicate yourself to this company. Also, they should hire a more full-time night person who is available for help. Their current night person is only available for a few short hours per night for questions (when I am already asleep). It would be great if they had a night staff that is just as good as their day staff.

3 people found this review helpful