Balkamp Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Tip Tollison

1. "A good job but not career"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Jordan, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Jordan, UT

I worked at Balkamp full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Sometimes there is lots of overtime. Regular schedule. 401k

Cons

No room to advance and there is lots of drama

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees they actually have some good ideas.

Apr 25, 2017 – vizokaitis@balkamp.com

Thank you for reaching out and voicing your review. We know all current and past employees have busy lives and taking the time to leave reviews will only help us to continue to grow! We are thrilled ... More

2. "Prepared to be tires"

Former Employee - Order Puller in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Order Puller in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Balkamp (Less than a year)

Pros

Easy work, get off early every day, offer lots of overtime and typically do special events for all of the employees about once a month or so

Cons

If you are a younger employee they tend to not trust you in general, starting time is at 5:30 in the morning

Advice to Management

Learn to trust the college help and/ or the younger aged workers, it is warehouse work so most of us were younger anyway but still treated us like we were all stupid

Oct 10, 2016 – vizokaitis@balkamp.com

Thank you for taking the time to review NAPA Balkamp. Please know we take all reviews serious and are continuously looking at ways we can better our organization. We are sorry you feel as though your ... More

3. "Terrible atmosphere."

Former Employee - Order Puller in Plainfield, IN
    Former Employee - Order Puller in Plainfield, IN

I worked at Balkamp full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Worked there for over 9 years. It was great when I started.

Cons

When I started, I had a fantastic attitude. Over the course of the next 9 years however, my work ethic was ran in the dirt. They hold your job over your head like a Twinkie over a fat kid, and reward you solely with a paycheck. Granted, that's why you work... - however, when you do the same mundane repetitive job every day for 40 hours a week and have to hit a very high quota every single one of them, it gets hard. There are obstacles, and absolutely zero tolerance from management. You will never ever hear from one of them personally, unless you've made a mistake. You will feel like you can't do anything right and eventually, when enough time passes there, you'll start to believe that. Your work performance will slip because of it, and every time you turn around it will seem like you're in trouble because they are absolutely not helping you. They are documenting you. There are no encouraging encounters whatsoever and there is no motivator to show how much they value you being there. In fact, they pretty much don't. The entire atmosphere represented just how replaceable you are. There is barely any room to advance, and no room for error. They are very unforgiving. In fact, if you want to advance, you need to first off, be their favorite on a personal level, and two - not have been in trouble for anything at all for a full year according to the job postings... (This includes even verbal warnings... which are actually documented as well and go in your file.) - which pretty much means you will always be at the bottom of the pole, fearing for your job, every single day of your Balkamp career because you only get so many "documentations" before you're toast. They don't care. You will become so stressed at the possibility that something happens which may cause you to not hit quota, or be late, that you'll get angry and very negative at things that you don't even have any control over. You won't be able to approach your managers, because you won't be able to associate them with anything other than the one who documents your every mistake. So, if your idea of spending 40 hours of your time at a place that cultivates division among management and employees, negativity, and encourages a robotic personality that will eventually lead to hatred for your job is appealing in anyway, then by all means fill out an app. However, if you value yourself, don't go down that road. It's like a mental torturing prison that pays you just enough to keep you locked up. It's hell. Don't do it. Be patient and look a little deeper. When I left, I thought I'd never find a job that paid as well BUT valued me. Within a very short period of time I was wrong. I love my job and am doing great.

Advice to Management

Apply a sense of Theory Y management to your process, rather than the hellish Theory X we all suffered while I was there.

4. "Bad management but hopefully gets better"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Jordan, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Jordan, UT

I have been working at Balkamp part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Pays just enough to keep you there. If you are not good with people you have a good chance of getting promoted.

Cons

Leadership is terrible. Constant harassment from management.

Advice to Management

Get rid of current management and start over.

5. "The hourly pay and benefits are just good enough to keep employees from quitting because of poor management."

Current Employee - Stock Clerk in West Jordan, UT
    Current Employee - Stock Clerk in West Jordan, UT

I have been working at Balkamp full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The pay is very competitive for this type of work. Health/Dental/Vision/Life Insurance are offered to full time employees. The company will match contributions to a 401k up to 5% of each paycheck. Tuition reimbursement is also offered to full time employees up to $1500 per calender year. There are a lot of good friendly people working at this plant.

Cons

Management at this plant is extremely unorganized. Department managers are not given sufficient training to preform their jobs at a professional level, as a result non-management employees suffer. Upper management is apathetic to the needs of lower level employees. Overzealous production and attendance standards make it difficult to stay out of trouble. No sick leave is provided. There is little to no room for career advancement.

Advice to Management

Set realistic production standards. Provide better training for department managers and lower level employees. Make sure departments are adequately staffed. (They have not hired any new employees in over a year even though many have quit or gotten fired in that time) Provide excused sick leave so when one person gets sick they can stay home and not spread there sickness to the rest of the employees.

6. "Lack of management skills"

Current Employee - Stock Handler in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Stock Handler in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Balkamp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay and good hours

Cons

Bad benefits and lack of empathy from management

Advice to Management

Listen to employees

"Frustrating"

Current Employee - Hourly Position At Headquarters in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Hourly Position At Headquarters in Indianapolis, IN

Pros

Health insurance, dental and vision offered
    401(k) and stock purchase program
    Decent pay, unless you are degreed and then it's just okay
    Free turkey at Thanksgiving

Cons

Cultural divide between hourly and salaried employees is insulting at best
    Incompetent middle management
    "Big brother" corporate culture
    No opportunities for advancement in most positions
    Degrees/higher education are not valued
    No sick time -- must use vacation time or make up hours
    No COLA or merit increases
    Management will call your bonus a "raise" but it is paid in lump sum and not cumulative
    No established systems in place for ANYTHING, as a result your boss won't know what his own job is let alone be able to offer guidance to new hires
    Demeaning "occurrence" system for handling absences/tardies rather than actually dealing with employees that are a problem
    New projects and work added habitually without consideration of job title or compensation
    Managers openly take credit for the hard work of hourly employees at HQ-wide meetings

Advice to Management

Consider more flexibility in schedules and work-from-home hours where feasible. Establish systems for workflow and resist the urge to pile more work on employees who will not be compensated for their additional workload. Stop using the "family" metaphor for employees. It's not apropos and comes across as insulting.

8. "Great place to work but communication and compensation are lacking."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

Pros

Family Atmosphere. They use this atmosphere as a reason to not pay as well.

Cons

Management has their own agenda. They do not communicate changes well. People are not promoted on performance but on how well you connect with the right people.

Advice to Management

Commincate and stick to your advancement policies. Do not promote those that do not have the education to handle a position.

9. "Balkamp"

I worked at Balkamp (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good people, good pay, good benefits and perks.

Cons

Not sure it is quite a con to working there as it is similar to many other large companies in the fact that is is just that. It's a large corporate company which has its advantages and disadvantages just the same.

Advice to Management

Continue to treat your employees well and they will give you their best!

May 19, 2017 – vizokaitis@balkamp.com

Wow, over 10 years! First thank you for your years of service, that is tremendous! Second, thank you for sharing your post with us. We are a growing organization and will continue to grow - we want ... More

10. "VERY conservative work culture"

I worked at Balkamp full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Employer 401K match. Partial tuition reimbursement. Discounts on parts. Chance to meet NAPA-sponsored race car drivers. There are some good long-term employees who are hard workers.

Cons

Great disparities in salaries, based primarily on gender. Males make way more than females. Millennials just coming in also make as much as long-term employees who have more experience and skills. Females do not get promoted at Balkamp. Upper management is comprised primarily of white males who are out of touch with today's culture and workforce. Medical insurance is expensive, especially for those with families.

Advice to Management

Shop around for better/more affordable healthcare providers. Take the women who work for you seriously and hear them out. You are losing talent because you choose to promote men who ride the coattails of executive management friends. Adopt a work from home policy - most of the employees do not need to be present in the office for non-meeting days - there are many distractions in the office that hinder work from being completed. All work equipment (laptops, mobile phones, IM) is now conducive for remote working conditions.