Cover image for Barrel

40% Recommend to a Friend
50% Approve of CEO

Found 17 of over 28 reviews

2.9
Barrel Co-Founder & Principal Peter Kang & Sei-Wook Kim (no image)
Peter Kang & Sei-Wook Kim

The latest conversations about Advertising

Join the conversation on

Advertising

158.6K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/advertising/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.com&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=Barrel~644307
Join the conversation on

Got a burning question about Barrel? Just ask!

On Fishbowl, you can share insights and advice anonymously with Barrel employees and get real answers from people on the inside.

What's Fishbowl
Ask a Question

What are your colleagues talking about?

Find your private company bowl on Fishbowl, join the hottest conversation with your colleagues anonymously.
Join the Conversation

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Your work with some great people and cool clients.(in 6 reviews)
  • "Everyone is clearly very passionate and good at what they do.(in 4 reviews)
Cons
  • "Management is erratic, cold, and difficult to communicate with.(in 4 reviews)
  • "Management also won't hire experienced and senior employees (maybe they don't want to lose their 'control' or provide a competitive salary).(in 3 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Enjoyable place to work

Jun 15, 2019 - Senior Developer in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

One of the best company cultures I've had the pleasure of working in. I felt like I fit in really well with my co-workers, so I genuinely looked forward to showing up to work each day. Further, my manager was one of the best I've ever had. He did a phenomenal job of setting me up for success while also challenging me and helping me grow. I felt very comfortable working with him and felt as though I was a valued member of the team. The projects were cool and genuinely offered really great and relevant professional experience. I was usually working on a healthy mix of projects with diverse challenges, which gave me an opportunity to learn and grow in my area of expertise. Barrel did a great job of giving me the tools and resources to solve those problems and better myself as a professional. In my time there, I felt as though Barrel, and its employees, made it a point to be a learning organization. It was very important that I learn and better myself while also challenging and helping my co-workers to do the same. I found that to be a really valuable part of my experience with the company.

Cons

Resourcing was often an issue. It wasn't uncommon for team members to be juggling a bit more work than they probably should and feel a general pressure that they should be able to handle everything thrown at them. With that said, management does a pretty great job of identifying and addressing systemic issues like this. Just before I left, they closed the office for an entire week to have a 3rd party company train the whole team on agency project workflows in an effort to improve project digestion. Compensation was a bit lower than market average, but they do make it a point to give you opportunity to review and discuss your compensation.

1 person found this review helpful
  2. 2.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Bottom of the Barrel

Nov 29, 2022 - Project Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

Co-workers were pretty cool, pay and benefits were not too shabby.

Cons

Where to start? Management is erratic, cold, and difficult to communicate with. They often suck all the air out of the room and talk incessantly, even when they're asking for your input or feedback. They will bend over for clients, even at the detriment of their employees. Many projects go way over budget, and the project managers are instructed not to push back on outrageous demands from clients which are almost always out of scope. Excessive amounts of meetings that could have easily been emails, causing many employees to be in 9-12 meetings a day and leaving little time to execute on work without working overtime. Most of the team is way over allocation and expected to take on more work than feasible within an 8 hour day. Management is often condescending and unwilling to have difficult conversations with the clients. They laid off the entire CRM department and half the PM Team earlier this year (including someone on maternity leave which left a bad taste for many of us), and continued to send weekly emails letting the whole team know we had to hit X amount of dollars or there would be more layoffs on the horizon. This created a sense of instability and many talented employees left for greener pastures. They appear very "woke" on the surface, but will gladly spend $600 a month on wine clubs while laying off entire departments.

3 people found this review helpful
  3. Join the Barrel team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 1.0

Pass

Apr 10, 2022 - Project Manager in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

The people were great. Dedicated to great work.

Cons

Partners are focused on the wrong things. Employee

1 person found this review helpful
  5. 4.0

good team, communicative, flexible

Jun 4, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

everyone is kind and collaborative, ready to help

Cons

nothing too bad, it's a job! some of the work isn't that exciting

Be the first to find this review helpful
  6. 2.0
    Former Employee

Not what it seems on the outside. Toxic place to work

Sep 9, 2014 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

-Free lunch, beer, wine -Creative Days internal hackathon -Coworkers are young, friendly, ambitious people -Office space is pretty decent and has ping-pong table -Somewhat lenient time off policy

Cons

The marketing is flashy and perks are attractive but behind the gloss, it can be a pretty toxic place. -Poor work-life balance, often have to stay late for client work -Inexperienced, often unprofessional management with no creative or technical background and no sense of scoping -Complete lack of trust from management toward employees = frequent micromanagement, hovering, feedback sessions and reviews -No interest in quality of creative ideas and a ton of emphasis from the top on churning out websites quickly to turn a profit -Lots of office drama behind the scenes that influences the way they run the place -Poor compensation. Company tends to hire young people and pay them the least that they can get by paying them -Little to no room for growth and no such thing as moving up since the company has zero interest in nurturing talent -Turnover rate has been insanely high due to employee dissatisfaction at the hours they need to keep, the management and the low salaries

6 people found this review helpful
  7. 5.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Can't recommend enough

Sep 29, 2014 - Developer in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

As someone who recently departed after a short stay, it is really amazing how much of a positive impact Barrel had in my life. Overall there is a great morale in the office and never noticed any of the drama mentioned in a previous review. Some of the people you will find Barrel are Kevin K. who will teach and encourage you to play ping-pong; Pete who will make you a cocktail; Zack, Angela and Scott who will geek out about video games (in a good way) and many others, each of whom has other passions other than work. Barrel's greatest strength lies in the cumulative pride that each employee puts in their work. I can't recommend Barrel enough. From the on-boarding experience to the every day, you will feel like part of a great team. As any agency, it can get really busy at times, but there is always someone you can tap on the shoulder for help or guidance. If stressed, someone will tap you and listen to what you have to say. Other things to add are that there is a very high level of transparency, they are very open to feedback, and they have generous work from home/late policies. I'm still super upset that I missed Creative Days, so close!

Cons

Workload can be challenging at times and I wish that I my start wouldn't have been so hectic.

2 people found this review helpful
  8. 2.0
    Former Employee

Perks don't outweigh considerable problems

Sep 4, 2014 - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Everyone is young and eager to grow. Highly organized and amazing perks. - Provided lunch (everyone eats together) - Beer tap and wine tap - Ping pong - Creative Days (Hackathon) - Bourbon Fridays

Cons

A lot of people who work there are coming straight out of college, or it's their first agency job. This results in a lot of inexperience and mismanagement. Management doesn't trust their employees to get client work done so there is a lot of micro-managing. Management also won't hire experienced and senior employees (maybe they don't want to lose their "control" or provide a competitive salary). Since there is no creative direction (just management telling you what to do) there are a lot of missed opportunities to work on interesting client work. Turnover rate has been very high (10 people in 5 months) because people have been unsatisfied with management, client work, and compensation. Perks are great but they are not genuine, I've heard HR and management say numerous times "it keeps you here". Obviously perks are not what people value higher than trust, creative freedom and competitive salary.

10 people found this review helpful
  9. 5.0
    Current Employee

An excellent place to grow and learn

Sep 25, 2014 - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Barrel has been an excellent work experience first and foremost because of the team. Management is very careful to hire people that will get along well with each other and puts a lot of emphasis on communication and team building. The team itself feels like a community of passionate and creative individuals that are always striving to do the best, and it is a good place for young designers and developers to grow and develop their talent. The work is interesting and the company encourages creativity and use of new technologies. Management encourages employees to voice concerns and will usually act quickly to address and correct mistakes. Other perks include a flexible time off policy, free beer and wine, a nice office, and ping pong.

Cons

Workloads are challenging and most employees are typically balancing several projects at once, so this can lead to late nights depending on the projects and deadlines.

2 people found this review helpful
  10. 2.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

My Biggest Disappointment

Aug 4, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Less than a year in and this company, at first they seemed so refreshing and promising, but are now one of my biggest regrets. That being said...everyone who works here is super talented. Generally the staff is made up of good people who work hard and genuinely care about what they do. They produce really great work and you won't find any slackers.

Cons

Upper management completely takes advantage of the fact that everyone is so hardworking and passionate about their work. They do not compensate fairly or or acknowledge the hard work put in by employees (beyond a company wide, mandatory Friday cheers.) There is zero work life balance and this only seems to be getting worse as time goes on. They are doing a lot of new business but refuse to hire enough staff to handle the workload. They are pushing the limits to a company wide BURNOUT and the don't seem to notice (or care). It's only a matter of time until they squeeze every last ounce of out patience from the entire staff.

8 people found this review helpful
  11. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Love this team!

Apr 17, 2017 - Web Developer in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great people, young team, nice variety of work. The office is awesome: we have beer and wine on tap and Barrel provides lunch every day. It's a great team to work with and grow with, and the management is very open and encouraging towards building your skill set and setting goals for your time at the company. Also, did I mentioned Bourbon Fridays?

Cons

I don't feel like I have any *real* cons. Some small process stuff. Since we're a young team we sometimes run into issues that a more experienced team would handle better. But that's a pro isn't it: learning from mistakes! No better place to do that than here.

Be the first to find this review helpful
Viewing 1 - 10 of 17 Reviews
</>Embed

Barrel Reviews FAQs

Barrel has an overall rating of 2.9 out of 5, based on over 28 reviews left anonymously by employees. 40% of employees would recommend working at Barrel to a friend and 42% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has improved by 5% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Barrel employees rate their compensation and benefits as 2.5 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Barrel. This rating has improved by 16% over the last 12 months.

40% of Barrel employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Barrel 2.4 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.3 for culture and values and 2.8 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Barrel to be benefits, career development, coworkers and the cons to be culture, compensation, management.

Popular Careers with Barrel Job Seekers