Bento Box Entertainment Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.5
Scott Greenberg

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Similar to working at a zen garden"

Former Employee - Producer in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Bento Box Entertainment full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very well thought out animation studio with individuals at the helm who thoroughly know the business. It is set up to bring up the best in the artists and the production team. One of the best job experiences I've ever had.

Cons

No cons come to mind.

Advice to Management

Keep up the excellent work. Thank you for an invaluable work experience.

2. "Not a bad place to start"

Pros

Many cool project and good people.

Cons

Very cheap with money, equipment and resources.

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to your employees

3. "The Worse"

Pros

The employears are talented and committed.

Cons

Nepotism - Management hires their relatives and partners and they are not held to any standard.

4. "Great company"

Former Employee - Producer in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Bento Box Entertainment part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I had the pleasure of working with Bento Box in LA for a year. It was an amazing experience and opportunity. The best way for me cut my teeth in the industry. I graduated from SCAD and this was m first exposure to the tv/animation industry. The CEO is a good person, tough, but will prime you for a future in television- for as long as you chose to be in it. I thought the best of everyone I worked with, not always, but thats the way to go. Don’t waste great opportunities in life, you will regret it. Be kind, have fun, and you will do fine working here! Best of luck to Bento Box and all the new/seasoned employes.

Cons

no cons for me.

Advice to Management

Nurture the Atlanta Branch, they have so much potential. And there are so many creatives that live there.

5. "Animator"

Current Employee - Animator
    Current Employee - Animator

I have been working at Bento Box Entertainment full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've been reading a lot of negative reviews of this studio, but perhaps that's all for the ATL side? I've always been treated with loads of respect in LA and have had more than a few opportunities to advance. In the number of years I've been working with them, I've seen them give chances to lots of new and/or struggling artists and they shouldn't be faulted if such individuals can't keep up with the stress/deadlines/etc. of the average industry job. If you really need more creative input without spending the time to earn it, there are plenty of other studios that will give you far more creative control, but only pay you a small fraction of the salary.

Cons

Some projects can go a little overboard with retake notes, but that sort of comes with the territory.

Advice to Management

Some creators need to hear the word "no" a little more than they do.

"Most of the other 2 star reviews are on point"

I worked at Bento Box Entertainment full-time

Pros

Good work experience. I learned a lot. Friendly co-workers and management.

Cons

I constantly felt under the gun to do more at a quicker pace, no matter the quality/volume of work I produced. 50 hour work week with basically 40 hour work week pay. Very little creative involvement most of the time.

Advice to Management

Seems like LA should allow ATL to have a bit more autonomy. Too many hiatuses.

"Not Good"

Former Employee - Production in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Production in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Bento Box Entertainment (More than 3 years)

Pros

They produce Bob's Burgers for Fox. If you are on Bob's, life is great because it is really a show managed by Fox Studios. Bento will protect that relationship above all else. So, if you can get on that show - great.

Cons

it is not a nurturing place. Owner is unstable. His remaining partner is a bad communicator. Artists are not happy there and flee when they can. No room for advancement, unless you are on Bob's.

Advice to Management

Learn how to treat and nurture creative people.

"Morale Issues"

I worked at Bento Box Entertainment full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good health plan, decent pay, nice office

Cons

It was clear that the LA studio just had a different level of respect than our branch had- as if our artists were second class, our managers were second class, our "way of doing things" wasn't the "correct way" - I am a very experienced animation professional and it didn't seem to matter. After a while, that sort of treatment gets old. Also, the mandatory 55 hour work week is grueling- it doesn't make for a great work / life balance if that is important to you.

Advice to Management

Improve communication or risk causing morale issues and resentment between your locations.

"Storyboard Artist"

Current Employee - Storyboard Artist in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Storyboard Artist in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Bento Box Entertainment full-time

Pros

Good talented artists with years of industry experience. Good studio location. Union benefits. Job is stable and good pay. They discourage staying late and usually work 40 hours a week so I'm not spending weekends or late nights at the studio.

Cons

No creative input. Storyboard artists are basically glorified layout artists that have to create animatics. Thumbnails are done by "assistant directors" who are outsourced outside of the studio. Storyboard artists just clean up the thumbnails and concentrate on laying out the scene and editing. Studio prides itself on creating an animation pipeline to get things done as fast and cheap as possible. Nearly no room for advancement or promotions. Most artists feel burnt out since this pipeline encourages assembly line like work.

Advice to Management

create a more creative environment. Have AD's in house doing real AD work to help out the directors and also create an incentive for board artists to work hard since there would be a chance for a promotion. There is no passion in the projects since we feel more like machines than artists.

"Not Worth It"

Pros

- The writers and animators are very nice and professional
    - Great healthcare options
    - Good hours, little over time, great if you have a family

Cons

- No 401K options
    - Lower than average pay
    - No where to move up, some employees have been there for 5 years and haven't been promoted
    - Management and lead producers are AWFUL. Horrible with communication, they're either passive aggressive, or screaming at you.
    - Lots of intimidation and bullying tactics from upper management
    - Generally everyone is disorganized and always looking for someone else to blame
    - Little to no vacation time in your first year

Advice to Management

Work on your communication skills, that's the biggest problem here. The screaming, passive aggressive behavior and bullying shouldn't be in a work place. I know it's Hollywood, but come on people.