Blessing Health System Reviews | Glassdoor

Blessing Health System President and CEO Maureen Kahn
Maureen Kahn

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Receptionist"

Pros

I was my own boss, I love meeting people An taking care of their daily needs. I have awesome hands on experience with insurance An the adjusters.

Cons

I never got a chance to experience the big office seen. I also never got to work with a lot of other professionals.

Advice to Management

I have none I was happy with my old job it was lack of funds that that's why I'm unemployed.

"Larger Hospital in Smaller Community"

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Quincy, IL
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Quincy, IL

I worked at Blessing Health System (More than 5 years)

Pros

Generally responsive and respectful physicians, smaller staff size lets you get to know people better. Parts of the building are being renovated, and will look nice when done.

Cons

Nurse to patient ratios are very high. There is a large amount of alcohol, tobacco, and drug abuse among this very rural population, which leads to many readmissions and non-compliance among patients. The executive team shakes up the middle management on a very regular basis (every 2-3 years), which leads to constant change and confusion for staff and patients. Career employees are reshuffled for seemingly no good reason (directors, etc.) There doesn't seem to be a true "mission" just an endless quest for Magnet status and patient satisfaction scores at the cost of losing employees.

Advice to Management

Don't worry so much about Magnet. Don't shake up the middle management so often. Don't worry so much about trying to expand into Hannibal. Concentrate on having a good hospital. Take care of and respect your employees and they'll take care of you.

3. "Respiratory Therapist"

Former Employee - Registered Respiratory Therapist in Quincy, IL
    Former Employee - Registered Respiratory Therapist in Quincy, IL

I worked at Blessing Health System full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Very respectful staff throughout the hospital. Kind, caring, and compassionate. Growing and developing new opportunities for patients.

Cons

Not a lot of advancement for Respiratory Therapists to move in different areas of the hospital.

Advice to Management

Give other health care professionals a chance to utilize their degrees.

4. "RN"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse

I have been working at Blessing Health System full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

A learning institution for physicians, nursing, RT, lab, and X-ray. Staff are accountable to follow the ICARE standards. Good benefits and it's not too big of an institution which allows one to get to know a lot of the staff and physicians easily. Will reimburse staff for obtaining certifications.

Cons

I hate to say staffing because this is with all hospitals. No functional differential, no financial differential for having BSN.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

"Dangerous patient to nurse ratio"

Former Employee - RN, Bsn in Quincy, IL
    Former Employee - RN, Bsn in Quincy, IL

I worked at Blessing Health System full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits, always offering overtime. Urgent pay is time and half plus a $10/hr bonus. There are some very good nurses, great co-workers.

Cons

Ok, I'm going to call the elephant out in the room that all the nurses on the floors are afraid to call out-the number of patients and patient acuity nurses to take is simply DANGEROUS! Med/surg floor nurses take 6-8 and ICU 4. This leads to multiple errors, staph infections, and unfortunately, preventable deaths. This is why I could no longer continue working at Blessing. We once were a good hospital and I was proud to be a team member, now the profits are more important than the safety of the patients.
    The whole I CARE policy sounds great and all the new graduate nurses believe it during orientation but reality hits when they start working on the floors. It's too bad that it is just a talk and not actually implemented.

Advice to Management

Lower the patient/nurse ratio, 1/4-5 on med surge, 1/2 on critical care units. Your staff and patients deserve it! Staff don't want the pizza parties, Pandera sandwiches and chocolates, we just want to be able to take good care of our patients without the overwhelming patient loads!

6. "Wonderful Experience"

I worked at Blessing Health System full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great managment all the way up. Incredible transparancy. Always looking for better ways to solve problems while keeping up with industry standards. Good benefits. Good overall culture.

Cons

Large size decreses flexability but this is true in many companies.

7. "untrusting employers"

Pros

Your co-workers and patients are the best part of that hospital

Cons

You cant trust management, and their unprofessional. Don't ever go through anything in your life cause Blessing with not be supportive and stand behind you while you get through your rough time.

8. "registered nurse"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in La Belle, MO
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in La Belle, MO

I have been working at Blessing Health System (Less than a year)

Pros

provide a lot of care for a rural hospital.

Cons

cant think of any at this time

9. "cna/hha"

I have been working at Blessing Health System part-time

Pros

I love working at this job because i love to work with ppl that needs help

Cons

The only cons is the transportation...Its very hard to do different clients across the city

Advice to Management

I would love too work for your company because I'm a people person....i love to interact and help people with there need

10. "Blessing tries and usually delivers."

I have been working at Blessing Health System full-time

Pros

Pleasant patients, good supervision/management at unit level. Excellent teamwork among floor nurses and techs, and people will have your back if you're drowning. Solid benefits package. Room to advance if you're ambitious. Quincy has a low cost of living compared with large cities like St. Louis and Chicago.

Cons

Significant churn and turnover at both the top and bottom of the organization. High patient:staff ratios (while ideally 4-5:1 on acute care/med-surg floors, it's usually 5-7:1 in practice). Lower base pay compared with large cities, although this is offset by Quincy's low cost of living. Quincy may not be your cup of tea if you're a trendsetting urban socialite keen on trying out the latest and greatest Thai food.

Advice to Management

Continue adherence to ICARE values; they are solid principles. Make Magnet and other good-looking designations as longer-term reach goals rather than Priority 1. Priority 1 should be recruitment and retention of dedicated staff (both nursing and physicians), which will lower ratios and increase staff engagement/satisfaction. The longer-term goals will flow naturally from there.