Blue Origin Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.7
Jeff Bezos

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "I couldn't be happier with the 2 years I have spent at Blue Origin" (in 7 reviews)

• "bring your dog to work, free lunch on Tuesdays, and on site gym" (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "It's predominantly a man's world at Blue Origin" (in 5 reviews)

• "Company is growing, bringing with it the pains of growth" (in 3 reviews)

1. "Inventing the Future & Having Fun at the Same Time"

I have been working at Blue Origin full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Agile, startup-tyle feel and culture (very different from large aerospace companies)
    -Great perks, there's a large playroom for kids in the HQ building and a conference room parents can book that looks into the kids room.
    -Great feeling of community that is working together to do something that's never been done before.
    -Leadership cares about doing the right thing.

Cons

Growing really fast comes with struggles, but that's true at any company. Better to grow than shrink!

Advice to Management

Keep making good decisions and facilitating growth

"Drive"

I have been working at Blue Origin full-time

Pros

To work at Blue, you have to have an internal motivation, or drive that very little possesses in order to succeed here. You have got to be damn good to do well here. Its not for the faint of heart. If you are not exceeding expectations and trail blazing, then you should be looking elsewhere.

Cons

Complicated work. What do you expect with Rocket Science?

"Best company I have EVER worked for"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kent, WA

I have been working at Blue Origin full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I couldn't be happier with the 2 years I have spent at Blue Origin. The mission is exciting, the people are passionate, and the work is motivating.

Cons

I have a hard time with this... the only thing I can think of is the parking

Advice to Management

Keep celebrating our wins! This will keep everyone engaged, motivated and invested.

"Exciting mission but chaos reigns supreme."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kent, WA

I have been working at Blue Origin full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Exciting company mission, nirvana for space geeks. Good location, near highways, but away from the bustle of the city. Extremely open culture, no compartmentalized information hoarding.

Cons

While Blue Origin has a very exciting mission it is definitely not without its drawbacks. I've been an employee for seven years, and have seen the company grow from 150 when I started to almost 2,000. This growth has been very poorly managed and the company has suffered because of it. The original culture simply does not scale; when I started, the company only hired seasoned, experienced professionals, and management really only facilitated interaction between groups. The organization was *extremely* flat, with only two layers of management between employees and the company's president. Employees were all peers, with very little pecking order. This worked out *really* well during the company's early years, but began to fall apart as the organization grew and more junior people were hired. The complete lack of oversight has led to many, many bad technical decisions which were jumped into blindly. In most organizations these decisions would have been subject to review, risk assessment, and approval, but this approach runs counter to Blue's culture. This haphazard approach has led to the development of many unstable, unreliable, and virtually unmaintainable systems.

Advice to Management

Most organizations have a seniority ladder out of necessity; this provides room for advancement and can help to prevent the organization from taking unnecessary risk. The company cannot successfully grow without clearer role definition.

"Awesome place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kent, WA

I have been working at Blue Origin full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Management is really pushing to scale up quickly, and still maintain the start up environment.

The hiring bar is extremely high, not just in intelligence, but also in personality, work ethic and the general ability to be a decent human being. Haven't met a single truly unhappy person here. You must love rockets and challenges though.

Show up for your meetings and get your work done, and no one will be keeping track of your hours worked. The give and take of salaried employment actually exists here.

They seriously treat you like a human adult here. Very little dumb politics.

Jeff is brilliant and is behind this company 100%.; Blue is going to be here for a long time.

Cons

Speed (lack thereof). A lot of processes still need refinement (they are being refined).

Advice to Management

Keep it up.

"Major flaws with incredible potential"

I have been working at Blue Origin full-time

Pros

- Being a part of building rockets
    - Highly group dependent, but potential for great coworkers
    - Strong sense of community among many non-management engineers
    - Challenging technical problems with potential to push boundaries

Cons

- Unwarranted arrogance and egos are rampant (ironically these tend to be the least knowledgeable people)
    - Career progression is limited/zero for most engineers (outside of Systems)
    - Very little mentoring for new hires with little experience in spacecraft, which does them a disservice long-term as they learn bad habits/don't understand the solutions they've been given
    - Many specialists are not valued - in fact, they're treated as obstacles to be overcome for pointing out issues with proposed ideas even if they come with recommendations or solutions (which is part of their jobs)
    - Micromanagement and stifling ideas is becoming commonplace
    - Arbitrary processes/requirements/standards that change constantly, making it frustrating or impossible to do a job effectively (as the drawing you were trying to release yesterday is now unacceptable under today's rules)
    - Over-reliance on test and unwarranted dismissal of most analysis (test demonstrates validity of the analysis, it doesn't cover all possible cases while analysis is supposed to cover all requirements all the time)

Advice to Management

Recognize your own limitations and start listening the experts around you - they're generally trying to save you from yourself. Give people opportunity for advancement/progression and stop focusing on systems engineers as the be-all, end-all of engineering (they're not - all types of engineering and integration are necessary and should be respected). Actually mentor junior engineers and those coming from other industries - leaving them to struggle through problems just hurts everyone. This company should be incredible, but incompetent management could destroy it.

"You can do better!"

Current Employee - Mechanical Design Engineer in Kent, WA
    Current Employee - Mechanical Design Engineer in Kent, WA

I have been working at Blue Origin full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good compensation, chance to work on rocket engines

Cons

Management has lost touch with employees, toxic work environment, company stock is worthless.

Advice to Management

Fix your approach so actual launches can happen.

8. "Love this place"

I have been working at Blue Origin full-time

Pros

Challenging tasks, great people, fast pace

Cons

Company is growing fast. Some processes lacks definition. Some roles and responsibilities lacks clarity. The bright side is people are actively working on it.

"Engineer"

I have been working at Blue Origin full-time

Pros

Freedom for innovative thinking, many passionate people focused on building product in a safety-focused culture.

Cons

Rapid growth has stressed existing process and tool capabilities

"Company Misrepresented Job Role"

I worked at Blue Origin full-time

Pros

Interesting hardware work
    Well funded by Jeff Bezos
    Great facilities and exciting industry

Cons

Arrogrance/Politics

Worked as software engineer. Recruiter told me this was a "senior level" job and that the company did not have job levels like SDE1, SDE2, etc. Job turned out to be entry level. Also turned out there was a hierarchy and management decided I was at the bottom of it. Managers tried to enforce this hierarchy, so I quit due to misrepresentation of the job.

Culture is rooted in conservative pre-internet times where people wash their boss's car every Saturday and worried about losing their job.

Work was ultra-mundane spring/java stuff. No software projects will ever make revenue at this company and are at best ancillary to the progress of the company.

I quit after two months of fighting with very arrogant people whose attitudes were far, far ahead of their experience and qualifications. Like going back to high school after grad school.

Advice to Management

Be honest with interviewers if your going to be a political place with lots of hierarchy and over-arrogant dumb people trying to be in charge. Consider outsourcing software development because you will fail in software with this kind of culture. Maybe that's ok with you because you're a hardware company.