Blue Origin Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated January 16, 2019

3.7
Jeff Bezos

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "I couldn't be happier with the 2 years I have spent at Blue Origin" (in 7 reviews)

• "bring your dog to work, free lunch on Tuesdays, and on site gym" (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "Company is growing, bringing with it the pains of growth" (in 3 reviews)

• "Just as slow-moving and incompetent as every other big aerospace company, but with a more arrogant attitude" (in 2 reviews)

"Inventing the Future & Having Fun at the Same Time"

I have been working at Blue Origin full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Agile, startup-tyle feel and culture (very different from large aerospace companies)
    -Great perks, there's a large playroom for kids in the HQ building and a conference room parents can book that looks into the kids room.
    -Great feeling of community that is working together to do something that's never been done before.
    -Leadership cares about doing the right thing.

Cons

Growing really fast comes with struggles, but that's true at any company. Better to grow than shrink!

Advice to Management

Keep making good decisions and facilitating growth

2. "Sliding into chaos"

Current Employee - Engineer
    Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at Blue Origin full-time

Pros

- Working on rockets.
    - Relatively flexible schedule.
    - Very engaged coworkers (also a con).

Cons

- Because arrogance and over-estimation of capability abounds, having engaged coworkers is not just a pro, it's a very big con. Many individuals seem incapable of self-reflection or realistic assessment of current skills.
    - Very inexperienced workforce due to hiring spree with an abundance of self-righteous behavior.
    - Confrontational behavior toward any negativity, which leads to unreasonable optimism and ultimately bad design.
    - It's become just another aerospace company with all the dysfunction and useless corporate-speak, but the lack of history and process stability makes it the worst of big aero.

Advice to Management

- Realistic assessment is not a problem, it's a necessity. Acknowledging reality is not a fault, it's a strength. Start respecting your employees with real spacecraft experience (not the homegrown self-styled 'experts' whose only success so far was not blowing themselves up in college and/or unrelated engineering field).

3. "Security Guard"

I worked at Blue Origin full-time

Pros

Eh it was a cool place to work

Cons

The people sucked - but whatever im from Kent and thats how it goes down

"Exciting mission but chaos reigns supreme."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kent, WA

I have been working at Blue Origin full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Exciting company mission, nirvana for space geeks. Good location, near highways, but away from the bustle of the city. Extremely open culture, no compartmentalized information hoarding.

Cons

While Blue Origin has a very exciting mission it is definitely not without its drawbacks. I've been an employee for seven years, and have seen the company grow from 150 when I started to almost 2,000. This growth has been very poorly managed and the company has suffered because of it. The original culture simply does not scale; when I started, the company only hired seasoned, experienced professionals, and management really only facilitated interaction between groups. The organization was *extremely* flat, with only two layers of management between employees and the company's president. Employees were all peers, with very little pecking order. This worked out *really* well during the company's early years, but began to fall apart as the organization grew and more junior people were hired. The complete lack of oversight has led to many, many bad technical decisions which were jumped into blindly. In most organizations these decisions would have been subject to review, risk assessment, and approval, but this approach runs counter to Blue's culture. This haphazard approach has led to the development of many unstable, unreliable, and virtually unmaintainable systems.

Advice to Management

Most organizations have a seniority ladder out of necessity; this provides room for advancement and can help to prevent the organization from taking unnecessary risk. The company cannot successfully grow without clearer role definition.

"Drive"

I have been working at Blue Origin full-time

Pros

To work at Blue, you have to have an internal motivation, or drive that very little possesses in order to succeed here. You have got to be damn good to do well here. Its not for the faint of heart. If you are not exceeding expectations and trail blazing, then you should be looking elsewhere.

Cons

Complicated work. What do you expect with Rocket Science?

"Best company I have EVER worked for"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kent, WA

I have been working at Blue Origin full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I couldn't be happier with the 2 years I have spent at Blue Origin. The mission is exciting, the people are passionate, and the work is motivating.

Cons

I have a hard time with this... the only thing I can think of is the parking

Advice to Management

Keep celebrating our wins! This will keep everyone engaged, motivated and invested.

"Awesome place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kent, WA

I have been working at Blue Origin full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Management is really pushing to scale up quickly, and still maintain the start up environment.

The hiring bar is extremely high, not just in intelligence, but also in personality, work ethic and the general ability to be a decent human being. Haven't met a single truly unhappy person here. You must love rockets and challenges though.

Show up for your meetings and get your work done, and no one will be keeping track of your hours worked. The give and take of salaried employment actually exists here.

They seriously treat you like a human adult here. Very little dumb politics.

Jeff is brilliant and is behind this company 100%.; Blue is going to be here for a long time.

Cons

Speed (lack thereof). A lot of processes still need refinement (they are being refined).

Advice to Management

Keep it up.

"You can do better!"

Current Employee - Mechanical Design Engineer in Kent, WA
    Current Employee - Mechanical Design Engineer in Kent, WA

I have been working at Blue Origin full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good compensation, chance to work on rocket engines

Cons

Management has lost touch with employees, toxic work environment, company stock is worthless.

Advice to Management

Fix your approach so actual launches can happen.

9. "Love this place"

I have been working at Blue Origin full-time

Pros

Challenging tasks, great people, fast pace

Cons

Company is growing fast. Some processes lacks definition. Some roles and responsibilities lacks clarity. The bright side is people are actively working on it.

"Engineer"

I have been working at Blue Origin full-time

Pros

Freedom for innovative thinking, many passionate people focused on building product in a safety-focused culture.

Cons

Rapid growth has stressed existing process and tool capabilities