CBS Interactive Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CBS Interactive Chief Executive Officer (CEO) Jim Lanzone
Jim Lanzone

Pros
  • Depending on your role, the work/life balance was pretty good (in 31 reviews)

• Work Environment and Decent Perks (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • Unfortunately like most places now a days, the biggest con is the upper management (in 20 reviews)

• Senior management doesn't seem to care for the vision of the product (in 15 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Account Representative"

I have been working at CBS Interactive full-time

Pros

Amazing company and culture. A really great place to learn from others and grow within. A great office and benefits for employees.

Cons

Not a lot of downsides here. There can be some small mismanagement or unorganized management styles but overall its a great place to work.

Advice to Management

Learn wha motivates each and every employee. Everyone is different and it takes a great manager to understand how people work best and to make sure they are in that position every day.

Feb 9, 2017 – Senior Manager, Talent Operations

Thanks so much for your comment. We think we have a great culture, and we love that you do, too! A huge benefit of working at CBS Interactive is the ability to learn and work alongside colleagues who ... More

2. "Digital Revenue Specialist"

I have been working at CBS Interactive full-time

Pros

Work Environment and Decent Perks

Cons

Corporate Structure and PTO Structure

3. "CBS interactive"

Current Employee - Digital Sales Planner in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Digital Sales Planner in New York, NY

I have been working at CBS Interactive full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

28th street office is very nice! Black rock is gross!

Cons

Limited diversity! It's like the cookie cutter. Everyone young white, friends, etc

Advice to Management

Choose diversity.

5. "CBSi Overview ( Sr Level Sales )"

Former Employee - Director, Enterprise Sales
    Former Employee - Director, Enterprise Sales

I worked at CBS Interactive (More than 3 years)

Pros

Market leader, consistent approach and deep team of backoffice pros who were willing to support sales efforts

Cons

Not very aggressive in the marketplace, could be cumbersome in regard to moving quickly to address competitive threats.

Advice to Management

Lean in more. Take some risks.

Feb 9, 2017 – Senior Manager, Talent Operations

Thanks for the post, I am glad that during your time at CBSi you felt supported in your sales efforts! Also, thanks for your feedback regarding the marketplace and our overall aggression. CBS ... More

6. "Community Producer"

I worked at CBS Interactive full-time

Pros

Fantastic team, genuinely concerned with user experience. Clear goals set by immediate management.

Cons

Part of a large corporation that may not care as much about your job as you do.

7. "Unfit Manager"

I worked at CBS Interactive (More than a year)

Pros

Most of the people in the office are really great folks, and it was a pleasure working alongside them. The company is very fast-paced and everyone cares about their work. The work and the products themselves were very interesting. Lastly, the company did a good job of having enough social events so that the departments can step away from "work mode". Everything was great besides one thing.

Cons

Unfortunately, the one (major) downside was the manager I had. The manager provided minimal training but expected for the work to be of the utmost quality. Questions were discouraged as this manager felt that most questions could be figured out on the employees' own if taken enough time. On the flip side, if mistakes were made then this manager would become agitated and speak down to their employees, including asking why the question was never asked to them before (such a tight spot to be in considering their dislike for questions) - I've never felt more demoralized in a role.

Because of this manager's aforementioned qualities, my own development was halted and stunted, resulting in the manager having to devote more time to us during "crunch times", which then resulted in this manager becoming frustrated because they would have to set aside their own work and spend more time with us helping out, which would then result in condescension/belittlement towards their employees, with the final result being demoralization (and the cycle begins anew). Best of luck to any employee who tells the manager about a personal struggle, as this manager will show absolutely minimum sympathy. This manager's default attitude is 'how does this affect me?' and everything else comes after. Also, I hope that any employee be careful about being honest with this manager about their management style as they cannot (or will not) fathom that they are not doing a perfect job and will put you down for any sort of criticism.

Going to work every day became a dreadful affair because of this manager and, as I have learned, your manager makes up 90% of your happiness when it comes to work so it unfortunately didn't matter that everything else about the company was great.

Advice to Management

I honestly wish the company the best of luck. When I started in this role I was very excited and open to learning and contributing to the team. However, that excitement and openness were quickly crushed under said supervision.

As far as I understood, the manager had a reputation for being incredible at their own work but did not have much management experience, and this was evident. Only because I would not wish this experience I had on any other person, the only advice I could provide is to potentially institute proper or more management training as a strong performer does not necessarily equate to a strong manager (speaking as a person who has never managed, from what I've gleamed, managing is a whole different beast of a job).

Feb 17, 2017 – Senior Manager, Talent Operations

Thanks for your review and giving your feedback regarding your manager during your time at CBSi. I am disappointed to hear how your manager handled all of the outlined situations as this in no way ... More

"Poor Management But Fine For Short-Term"

Former Employee - Digital Content Producer in Carlsbad, CA
    Former Employee - Digital Content Producer in Carlsbad, CA

I worked at CBS Interactive full-time

Pros

The best thing about working in this office was the camaraderie. It was easy to make friends with other web and content producers because management hires people from all over the country, so there are a lot of transplants and people new to the area. It's easy to make friends. Everyone loves sports, so it's easy to talk about and fosters a laid-back, casual work environment. Most people dress casually as well, often wearing jeans or basketball shorts. Those who manage to be promoted to a leadership position get benefits like medical and a 401K.

Cons

The CBS Sports Digital brand has lost a lot of business over the past several years, which unfortunately has led to layoffs in certain departments like tech and design. I saw few to zero women promoted to managerial and leadership positions in my department. A big problem is that the director and managers are disconnected with their employees and promote the wrong people. Managers are quick to judge and that first impression sticks with a person throughout their time there. I saw some people who struggled during training or asked too many questions be discounted for promotions later on, even though they grew into their roles. Most of the managers have odd personalities and can be difficult. They will not hesitate to throw an employee under the bus. Those who play office politics, i.e., be a "yes man" have more success. It's all about "playing the game," which is a disadvantage for some like the more serious or introverted worker. Regrettably, people who don't play the game are often marginalized or even bullied and their ideas are not heard. I don't think the experience I had represents the values of the CBS Interactive brand as a whole, but I found this particular work environment almost toxic and was grateful to move on to a different company.

"Great company!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at CBS Interactive full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The Interactive side of CBS is a fun, positive environment, with good, smart people. The variety of properties under this umbrella make it a place to grow and learn a lot.

Cons

In typical fashion, it still is apart of a huge company, and has the speed bumps that come with that, which is not the worse thing, but something to take note of.

Advice to Management

Strive to promote within, as there lies your best resources and minds, and provides motivation across the board.

10. "Solid place to work"

I worked at CBS Interactive full-time

Pros

Good benefits, friendly coworkers, fun and unique environment.

Cons

Sometimes night and weekend hours depending on role.

11. "supervisor"

I worked at CBS Interactive full-time

Pros

great working environment and people

Cons

never had a bad thing to say

Feb 9, 2017 – Senior Manager, Talent Operations

We love our offices and people, too! Thanks for giving them a shout-out :)