CalOptima Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

CalOptima CEO Michael Schrader
Michael Schrader

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great Company to work for"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orange, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orange, CA

I have been working at CalOptima full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The Caloptima family is a great company to work for. I have been very happy in my positions, have had several promotional opportunities. I enjoy the staff meetings and the management team are proffesional and approachable. There also lots of volunteer events throughout the year that are open to anyone who wants to help the comminities.

Cons

The HR department is very inefficient, they make errors on my benefits and paychecks and take weeks to correct.

"Listen up"

I worked at CalOptima full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits and mission to help the OC community.

Cons

Status quo employees outplay because they don't ruffle feathers; they keep their heads down and don't question unethical decisions. These employees don't bring new or creative ideas. They hang out until they reach the 5-year vesting for pension.

Inner circle employees or yes people outlast because they know someone in a higher level management position, and the inner circle employees are promoted to be the eyes and ears for the higher level management who will do the dirty work and push agendas that are not ethical.
    Management hires people to fill in skills gaps instead of managing non-performing people out because they're in the inner circle.

Chief execuitves outwit the Board of Directors, the members of the community, and government. Legal is the puppet master running CalOptima; they have so much power with ZERO oversight and accountability; they have been heard saying employees are there to cause problems. Legal should not get involved in every aspect of the business nor have that much power. Legal makes decisions and when it causes the company to spend more money or have a bad reputation, legal washes their hands and says they only provided guidance to the business owner, and the business owner was the one that signed off on the decision to move forward, BUT unbeknownst to outsiders, the legal team tells the business owners what to do or else there will be consequences (e.g., bullying, hostile work environment, or retaliation). The top execuitve is nice, but is a pushover - only listens to legal - while the second executive promoted up through the ranks and can't make any decisions without legal. These people are all concerned with their own pay. They spend their time trying to make the Board and government officials happy, and they spend their time covering up their bad decisions and finding a scapegoat. There are numerous employee complaints and when it gets to these people, the complaints are swept under the rug without doing a thorough investigation.

Has anyone asked why the top HR position is open again? Is it because HR people are ethical, and you only want a "yes" person to do the dirty work?

Good hardworking employees last about a year or so, and leave because they're not challenged, there isn't enough work to keep them busy or engaged, or they have been asked to do something unethical and couldn't complete the request and/or they sense they're the scapegoat for certain projects.

Advice to Management

Chief executives have always said "gift of public funds", but you spend so much money on unnecessary promotions and hires. If you have 2 to 3 competent/skilled employees, they can do the job of 5 to 6 non-performing employees. Also, bring an outside consultant firm to evaluate duplicate work or implement the LEAN methodology; this would save the company money.

Treat employees as people and with respect. Stop thinking of them as problems, expendable or a number.

The head of HR should be the executives' advisor when it comes to employment and policy related issues. They should be respected as they are there to protect management, the employee, and the company.

Change the culture, and stop the hostile work environment, bullying and retaliation. If things don't change, there will come a time when employees gather and request for union representation.

Consider eliminating the legal department and go with an outside firm that is professional and ethical. They can provide a thorough investigation, and provide a professional resolution.

"Please Make Change!"

I have been working at CalOptima full-time

Pros

Mission, great hardworking co-workers, opportunity to help our wonderful clients

Cons

I am a leaders at CalOptima and I don't feel I can speak up in the organization. It's too bad the senior team doesn't have effective enough relationships with their leaders so disappointments and frustrations can be shared. Instead people resort to social media. Something needs to be done about the culture at CalOptima! We hope the Board will find out how bad it is and finally do something. They appear to believe the finely crafted messages the CEO and top attorney provide them. If they only knew the people hours that go into preparing communications for the Board so they don't know the truth. It causes enormous stress and completely unrealistic expectations by the legal team as Board document after document is revised and not even discussed openly with leaders that have to have their name on it. The COO and her attorney have a punitive approach to our employees. Throwing policies at people all day doesn't work! So sad since I have worked here for many years and it used to be a great place to work. Please, it is 2018 and other organizations "get it" and know you need to care about your employees. Please do something with the senior team!

Advice to Management

Board, please address the culture!

4. "Excellent Benefits"

Former Employee - Human Resources Representative in Orange, CA
    Former Employee - Human Resources Representative in Orange, CA

I worked at CalOptima full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits including a pension plan and flexible schedules. Focus on inclusion, work/life balance and employee engagement. Ongoing training, development and mentoring for staff. Fun employee centric events (family picnic, Halloween costume contest...).

Cons

There are normal company politics.

Advice to Management

N/A

"Overall does a good job for its members"

I worked at CalOptima full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good work/life balance. Friendly coworkers. Good benefits.

Cons

HR dept needs a lot of work

Advice to Management

put attention on building and maintaining a decent HR department

"Board of Directors or Management should act"

I have been working at CalOptima full-time

Pros

The mission to our community and many fellow employees

Cons

Lack of leadership - people don’t speak up about what’s right. Others are are not engaged. We have a hard time keeping good leaders as well. The executive director of HR position seems to unfillable with anyone sustainable and the impression is that employee friendly leaders are not welcome at the top.
    Lack of vision - There is a need to honestly discuss where we are and where we are going and truly empower the talented staff to take us there.
    Undervaluing Employees - Often employees are treated like numbers and are expected to continue taking on more and more responsibilities. At some point this is not sustainable. Also all the research shows that to be a successful organization you need to value employees.
    Risk - Because we do not talk openly about issues we cannot correct situations until they become critical.

Advice to Management

Have another employee survey.
    If you care about employees start listening to them. Have small group discussions. This doesn’t need to wait until formal workgroups are formed after the survey. It could start today.
    Start measuring progress and success. Do so in a way that gets buy in and support. Celebrate wins in a personal way to ensure it is felt.
    Hire an employee friendly HR director, support them and listen to them.

"Blah company to work for"

I worked at CalOptima full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The environment is like a family. Dysfunctional, but still family.

Cons

Some management here do not know how to do anything and it is very sad and upsetting how they can not be let go thus the reason why I decided to leave.

Advice to Management

Stop taking things away from us! We are people, not a number and need to be treated as such.

"Worst Company to Work For!"

I worked at CalOptima full-time

Pros

The CalOptima Emploees are the best ever! Great benefits.

Cons

The Leaders of this company are running this company into the ground. The Board of Directirs need to wake up and take control of this organization before it’s too late. The CEO has no involvement in running this company. The only thing he cares about is keeping the board happy by manipulating facts and hiding the horrible things that are going on here. Legal calls all of the shots and controls the CEO and COO’s every move! The Legal Team is supposed to be a neutral, unbiased resource that makes decisions based on facts when they are in fact the most biased people in the company. The COO has no idea what she is doing and needs the Legal Team to make all of her decisions for her. Employees and terminated employees have filed harassment, retaliation, bullying, hostile work environment complaints against the COO and the Legal Team and the complaints are never investigated. The Legal Team/Leaders say they are looking into the complaints, but does nothing with the them. They make decisions on those complaints without investigating or considering the facts. The Human Resources Depatment has the worst turnover in the company because of the COO and Legal. Everyone in the company blames Human Resources for how screwed up everything is. When the truth is CalIptima has had some amazing HR people over the years. They are asked to do unethical things, they are instructed to carry out decisions that are not legal or compliant with labor laws. If they do not allow themselves to be puppets and they actually stand up for themselves, they either quit or are fired and paid to keep quiet. The Executive Team has no respect for many of the C Levels. There is no consistency with how the business is run and money is thrown around loosely to give large bonuses and increase to the higher ups and people who don’t deserve it. Decisions to promote or give increases are made based on popularity and not based on production and quality of work. The lower level employees are undervalued and treated as if they don’t matter. This place has the worst reputation for how they treat employees. Countless public dollars are wasted each day. Employees are encouraged to report fraud waste and abuse, but if you do you will be retaliated against and fired! The COO recently used her power to bully several employees into signing an agreement to pay back money they should not have owed. The list goes on and on!

Advice to Management

Do an employee survey to see how the employees feel. The board needs to get involved and investigate the top two Legal team members and the COO. How they treat people, poor decisions that are made and laws that are broken under their direction. Legal should not be running the company and should be an outside firm that is not so wrapped up and involved with the managebevt of the company. They all protect each other when there is drama and hide it from the CEO and the Board. You need to find Attoenyes who understand they need to gather all of the facts before making decisions and to always remain neutral. CEO needs to step up and act like a CEO and run this company. He seems to be a very smart man, but has no idea how screwed up things are below him so it gets worse and worse by the day. It doesn’t seem like he cares about anything other than himself and the board. Complaints need to be properly investigated and Leaders need to be held accountable for their actions. Someone needs to investigate why CalOptima can’t keep people in HR. How long is the company going to blame everyone who comes and goes in HR for all of the problems? Someone needs to talk to these people and ask them what is really going on to cause this much turnover in such a short anout of time. CalIptima used to be one of the best places to work. The employees were treated much better and were valued. If changes are not made soon, this company will not be around much longer. Get it together people! Open your eyes and get to the bottom of all of the chaos. If the necessary changes are made, this company could potentiobly be a great place to work again.

"Captain less Ship - in desperate need of a good leader at the top"

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Orange, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Orange, CA

I have been working at CalOptima full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, more than average PTOs, and retirement benefits if you can make it to year 5 or 16 quarters...good luck with that!

Cons

To say that this organization lacks leadership at the top, that is putting it mildly. The CEO is no where to be found. The COO runs this 4 billion organization like its a mom & pop shop She micromanages every decision. But that could be because of the rest of the so-called Executive directors and Directors are just as incompetent, lack of strategic vision and look-out for #1 mentally. I thought I can make a difference by joining CalOptima, doing good work for a good cause. But like others before me, I can no longer exist in this status quo organization. I'm on the hunt for a more satisfying job...life is too short to work at an organization that doesn't value good talent.

Advice to Management

Why bother with the annual review when all you want to see from your worker is status quo performance or below?
    This place can use a house cleaning from the top down. First thing is get rid of the incompetent directors who got promoted not because of qualification but because of who they know, managers who have no clue how to manage people and of course the tele-workforce who work less than 4 hours a day and get pay high five figures.

"Confidential"

I have been working at CalOptima full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits, growth as an organzation, mission intact with the member at the center of importance

Cons

Lot's of change. If you like this you will trive.