CalOptima Reviews | Glassdoor

CalOptima CEO Michael Schrader
Michael Schrader

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Confidential"

I have been working at CalOptima full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits, growth as an organzation, mission intact with the member at the center of importance

Cons

Lot's of change. If you like this you will trive.

"Captain less Ship - in desperate need of a good leader at the top"

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Orange, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Orange, CA

I have been working at CalOptima full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, more than average PTOs, and retirement benefits if you can make it to year 5 or 16 quarters...good luck with that!

Cons

To say that this organization lacks leadership at the top, that is putting it mildly. The CEO is no where to be found. The COO runs this 4 billion organization like its a mom & pop shop She micromanages every decision. But that could be because of the rest of the so-called Executive directors and Directors are just as incompetent, lack of strategic vision and look-out for #1 mentally. I thought I can make a difference by joining CalOptima, doing good work for a good cause. But like others before me, I can no longer exist in this status quo organization. I'm on the hunt for a more satisfying job...life is too short to work at an organization that doesn't value good talent.

Advice to Management

Why bother with the annual review when all you want to see from your worker is status quo performance or below?
    This place can use a house cleaning from the top down. First thing is get rid of the incompetent directors who got promoted not because of qualification but because of who they know, managers who have no clue how to manage people and of course the tele-workforce who work less than 4 hours a day and get pay high five figures.

3. "Good place to work!"

I have been working at CalOptima full-time

Pros

I've been at CalOptima for more than 15 years, and it's the best place I've ever worked in my 45+ year work history. They are mission-focused and care about their employees.

Cons

Salaries may not quite measure up to private sector jobs, but the benefits are great! I've had a few not-so-nice managers, but for the past three years, my director and manager are great. We have a good department, and I work on a great team. With more than 1,100 employees, you have to expect that not all of them will be gems.

Advice to Management

There seems to be a lot of turnover, and I think that salaries may be an issue. Perhaps if management bumped up the base salaries of rank and file employees, people would stay longer and not just use CalOptima as a stepping stone. There have been recent HR staffing changes, which I hope will make HR more accessible and responsive.

"Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orange, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orange, CA

I have been working at CalOptima full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Landing a job at CalOptima was probably one of the best decisions I’ve made. The company does care about the employees and the pay and benefits are very good! I enjoy working at CalOptima and hope to stay until I can’t work no more.

Cons

No company is perfect. Some people at CalOptima are not good but overall and for the most part, most people are good and pleasant to deal with. At least in my department, we do have a very supportive team. If you’re looking for perfection, your living in a fool’s paradise! CEO and CFO need to go and that is the general consensus from a lot of people. They don’t seem to know how to manage the company properly and they could end up hurting the company. The previous CEO was amazing and knew how to keep the company on top of its game which really shouldn’t be hard to do because CalOptima is the sole MediCal and MediCare provider for Orange County. There’s no competition therefore, it shouldn’t be difficult for these executives to properly run it correctly. But they’re not the company and they can be gone at anytime. HR is a mess! People coming and going all of the time but again, it’s bad executives who keep HR is such chaos! But CalOptima is still a pretty great company to work for so don’t let bad executives and HR people keep you from working here.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the CEO and CFO and get rid of managers and supervisors who are abusive and harrass some employees and you will be golden! Fix HR and put people in that department who know how to perform their duties. Other than that, continue to show interest in us as employees and promote a healthy work environment and CalOptima will be an even greater place to work!

"Looks aren't all"

I worked at CalOptima full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits, PTO, retirement plan and location are nice. Close to places to take a walk and grab Lunch. A few nice people

Cons

Politics run rampant, poor managerial communication, silo environment and lack of collaboration. Things take a great deal of time to approve or change

Advice to Management

Focus on Morale building and team building to ensure employees feel value

"Bleh"

I have been working at CalOptima full-time

Pros

I work for the CalOptima PACE program. It's an amazing program and fun place to work. Management on the other hand?

Cons

Silos, Morale is very low due to management nit picking at dress code.

Advice to Management

Be consistent, worry more about the care we provide our participants and not what shade of pink we are wearing!

"Program Specialist"

Former Employee - Program Specialist in Orange, CA
    Former Employee - Program Specialist in Orange, CA

I worked at CalOptima full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Nice people, work life balance

Cons

Lack of communication, unorganized, takes a long time to get anything approved

Advice to Management

Respond to your employees when they email you

8. "Great people, great mission, constant change."

Current Employee - Management in Orange, CA
    Current Employee - Management in Orange, CA

I have been working at CalOptima full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people and mission are what attracts job seekers and keeps employees content. Pay is decent. Location is convenient. Behind the times in technology.

Cons

Too much change and turnover creates challenges to lasting improvements or direction. Direction changes frequently. Hard to get a sense of accomplishment.

"I enjoy working for CalOptima and the growth opportunity"

Current Employee - Occupational Therapy Assistant in Garden Grove, CA
    Current Employee - Occupational Therapy Assistant in Garden Grove, CA

I have been working at CalOptima full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits such as pension and for long term is a company you would like to work for. Providing services to the Elderly in an all inclusive environment, makes work easy thing to go to every day. Great environment.

Cons

It might take a while to get into the company as full time , the process is long but is worth while

10. "No Experienced CFO - Headed for Big Trouble"

Pros

In a good position to drive down unit cost and utilization due to strong market share. Show good management judgement by filling the Chief Financial Officer role with an experienced managed care executive. One wonders why the CEO is reluctant to hire a string experienced executive.

Cons

The person currently filling the CFO role can run reports but cannot steer a large managed care company through challenging business environment. They are setting her up to fail. Mgt Choosing Easy Path Trying To Have Internal Candidate Step Up to a CFO Role - She has No CFO experience. Will End Badly - MediCal in Turmoil. It's Vital to have Experienced CFO to Navigate the Coming Issues but Mgt Too Lazy to Hire Experienced CFO. They Will Wait for a Full Scale Financial Crisis to Force Their Hand in Hiring an Experience CFO. By Then It May Be Too Late. Where is the Board? There has been an "active CFO search" for almost a year and Mgt hasn't interviewed outside candidates? Typical lack of proactivity and strategic planning. This company is purely reactionary. Do nothing while the crisis approaches, take action after the crisis causes damage. Where is the Board oversight? How about holding the CEO accountable for at least hiring an experienced managed care CFO?

Advice to Management

Don't wait for the coming financial crisis to act. Do the right thing and at least interview experience managed care CFO candidates. You serve the most vulnerable of the population (predominantly women and children). You owe it to them to keep the company strong. Everyone knows the Medicaid model will be under attack for the foreseeable future on the federal level. Therefore, why would you move forward with an inexperienced Chief Financial Officer? Incompetence at best. Act now don't wait for the "I told you so"