CapTech Employee Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

4.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Kevin McQueen

Pros
  • Also generally good work-life balance (in 19 reviews)

• Very smart people work here and we do exciting work (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • But to praise those who didn't find a work/life balance in a company that supposedly supports and touts it seems backward (in 7 reviews)

• Lot of internal work with high billable expectations (in 4 reviews)

1. "Everyone here is both nice and smart."

Current Employee - User Support Technician in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - User Support Technician in Richmond, VA

I have been working at CapTech full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Work-life balance. If you want to go home and disconnect from work at 5:00 PM, you can actually do that.
    - The management are super friendly and are cool to talk to pretty much anyone.
    - Pay is nice.

Cons

- No downsides to speak of.

"Great culture, huge growth opportunity"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

I have been working at CapTech full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's like a family. This is the best company I have ever worked for.

Cons

Growing pains operationally as the company scales nationally.

Advice to Management

The onshore, offshore argument is not a winning strategy. Stay out of politics, especially interviews that insinuate CapTech benefits from Trump's policies- the buy American debate. Try to contain your excitement.

3. "A Company that feels like Family"

Current Employee - Manager in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Manager in Reston, VA

I have been working at CapTech full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

CapTech values my work/life balance more than any company that I've worked at before. Of course, there are always projects or times of the year when more focus must be on work than elsewhere, but in my four years at CapTech I've always seen leadership want to 'pay it back' to their employees so that overall their value and time is known and appreciated. I have had many ups and downs as I continue to learn and grow in my career, and I have continued to look to the people at CapTech as part of my family - always there to celebrate my successes and help me excel through my growing pains.

Cons

Thought leadership exists here but it is not pervasive throughout the company yet. There is definitely some discombobulation with national growth (mostly internally) as we continue to work out who is responsible for what (there is overlap in consultants' internal responsibilities). There is few training to advance your skills/career past the manager level (sales training, how to grow an account, how to expand thought leadership) so you have to rely more on a "try and see" and loose mentoring approach.

Advice to Management

Focus on training middle management to become future leaders; keep refining our internal reaction to national growth

"Best place I've ever worked"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at CapTech full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a company that lives and breaths its core values. The fact that they hire proactively based off of skill set and not for any exact position or role has allowed them to grow without sacrificing the culture. CapTech has a great flat culture with a family feel. Love this place!

Cons

There is a degree of disorganization that is natural in a company transitioning from a regional to national presence.

Advice to Management

Keep rocking!

6. "Great Company Culture"

Current Employee - Consultant in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Reston, VA

I have been working at CapTech full-time

Pros

My favorite thing about working for CapTech is the culture. The people I work with have become more than coworkers--we're now actual friends. I love all the opportunities to hang out--from happy hours to office parties to company meetings.

Another pro could be a con for some, but I appreciate the opportunities for internal work. The nature of consulting is that you don't always get clients or billable work that are fun or exciting. There are many opportunities to use your passions for internal work--whether it's designing a new website for a local charity, planning company events, or representing CapTech at professional events across the country.

My last pro is the structure they have in place for performance reviews and raises. In addition to reliable schedules for both of these, CapTech also offers bonuses and other incentives based off company performance.

Cons

The nature of consulting is that you don't always get a dream project that fulfills all your passions. I don't think that's CapTech specific, but it's a realistic con that happens in our world.

The other issue, at least in some of the remote offices, is that many consultants sit on client sites and only get to visit the CapTech offices for events and meetings. That can cause some people to feel excluded from the day-to-day at CapTech.

Advice to Management

Don't lose the small-company feeling. Continue to create a culture where everyone is proud to be a part--especially those who have to work remotely.

7. "People are Great, Work/Life Balance is Illusion"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Pros

Worked with many great people with amazing skills, knowledge and personalities. Most management is down to earth. It's easy to "drink the Koolaid" because the majority of those who work there are all about the company and it's growth and success.

Cons

There was a running joke that if you make the "100%" club you were doing it wrong. And to a degree that's true. If your client required extra work for the job then you do what you have to do. But to praise those who didn't find a work/life balance in a company that supposedly supports and touts it seems backward. Better staffing, BD, and Sales promises are necessary.

Interpersonal relationships. Often times, as you could find in other establishments, you work with people and become comfortable with the nature of the work relationship that you don't realize that people don't really have your back or support you. Saw a lot on the consulting side, but also internally. If someone doesn't like you or your work, it clouds everything.

Advice to Management

Keep trying to nurture the culture you set out to have. Be more cognizant of management-to-peer relationships. Be open to all feedback. Consider upward reviews of managements from employees.

8. "Project manager"

I have been working at CapTech full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Collaboration and no competition

Cons

Lot of internal work with high billable expectations

9. "Great Leadership, Great Company"

Pros

CapTech truly cares about their client success and is led by consistent, people-empowering leadership that has grown the company 10-20% every year for the past 10 years. Behind closed doors, people seek out the best options for clients, managers are rewarded for fostering success in those they manage - there is no hoarding of glory. Many clients have asked to consider working with them but the opportunities, management, and direction of CapTech makes it a no-brainer to stay.

Cons

Given the entrepreneurial spirit, it can be easy to overcommit.

Advice to Management

Keep up the humble, smart leadership. You're personal knowledge of consultants and humility are awesome.

10. "Project Lead"

Pros

The people are good to work with

Cons

Management is confused and poor

Advice to Management

People skills need to be developed

"A flexible and innovative consulting firm"

I have been working at CapTech full-time

Pros

- Work with smart people
    - Work on interesting projects
    - Some flexibility with scheduling depending upon client assignment
    - Research and training is greatly encouraged for personal and client development

Cons

Benefits could be improved. This tech company seems to be behind the times versus other newer tech companies when it comes to benefits such as parental leave policy, healthy free snacks, etc.

Advice to Management

Improving the company benefits to be on par with younger tech companies may increase hiring of talented people and improve employee retention.