KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

CarShop Chairman and CEO Roger Penske
Roger Penske

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Gender

This rating reflects the overall rating of CarShop and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year
    Featured Review

Carshop has done it again!

May 11, 2022 - Automotive General Sales Manager in Scottsdale, AZ
    Business Outlook

Pros

I have worked for Penske Automotive Group since 2014 and have enjoyed the company and my journey immensely! I have never had a company invest in me and care about my growth and even me and my family personally like PAG. When Carsense now carshop was purchased by PAG with their business model and track record, I couldn’t wait until they were in Arizona. I’ve been with carshop since Sept. 2021. For the 8 months I’ve called carshop home it has been everything I’d hope it would be and more! The executive team cares about everyone on the team. That’s right, that isn’t a typo! I’ve witness each member of executive management take an interest in me and those around me more times than I can count. They truly believe what they say they’re all about. It’s awesome! Carshop Scottsdale is a phenomenal place to work. Stop buy anytime and I’d be happy to tell you more.

Cons

Hard to believe but there are none. Here’s why. They approach misunderstanding and mistakes with an open mind even if it ever was their own. They want to know what we as employees think and feel and would course correct if appropriate and beneficial. They are also open to our feedback at all times, about any aspect of our concerns down to the day to day business. Unless that changes there are no cons in my mind at carshop Scottsdale.

CarShop Response

Wow, thank you for the passionate review! It's great to hear that you are as excited for the future of CarShop as I am. We have built incredible teams at all 8 of our current stores and can't wait to share our culture with even more. At CarShop, we truly do care for our associates. Building up our people is how we grow our business, and have fun while do so! If we work together and help each other, we will also succeed together. Thank you for sharing your enthusiasm for CarShop. It's infectious!

2. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years

Great company to work for!

May 1, 2022 - Sales Management in Glen Mills, PA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Work life flexibility Best hours in the Car Business Culture Great people

Cons

None that I can think of

CarShop Response

Thank you for your year's of service at CarShop! Investing in associates such as yourself is what makes us great. I'm glad you recognize our efforts to maintain a healthy work/life balance. This is the key to creating the satisfaction that makes us want to come to work everyday! Thanks for your review. Keep up the great attitude!

3. 5.0

Great place to work!

Apr 18, 2022 - Director of First Impressions in Hatfield, PA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Fun team building activities, chances to grow in the company, great people to work with

Cons

Since the chip shortage quality of cars being sold isn't great

CarShop Response

Thanks for the positive review! We are very proud of the CarShop culture and all our associates that help us grow and improve! With everything we do, we strive to better ourselves. The chip shortage has presented its challenges, but we will work through it as a team. Keep up the positive attitude!

4. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

A/P Clerk

Apr 4, 2022 - A/P Clerk in Chester Springs, PA
    Business Outlook

Pros

An incredible work environment and awesome co-workers

Cons

None that I can think of

CarShop Response

Thank you for taking the time to leave this review. I am glad to hear that you get along with your coworkers! Keep the feedback coming!

5. 5.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Excellent Job

Mar 28, 2022 - Sales Consultant in Chest Springs, PA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great work environment to be in.

Cons

There are no cons to this place.

CarShop Response

Thanks for taking the time to leave such positive feedback. Keep up the great attitude! Keep giving us feedback on what we do well and what we can do to make CarShop even better.

6. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Not like a traditional dealer

Apr 7, 2022 - Sales Consultant in Scottsdale, AZ
    Business Outlook

Pros

Opportunity, Growth, Co-worker have a comradery, some of management want to help you.

Cons

pay plan can be difficult if your not taught how to navigate. you have to track your bonus pay is missing often and they will not catch it if you don't. some management can be difficult to work with.

CarShop Response

Thank you for leaving this review. We do care about all our team members and want to see them grow and succeed! We do like to promote from within, so there is definitely potential for growth. Please reach out to me or our HR Department to discuss your feedback on management and bonus pay. Management should be a positive resource and I would love to understand so that we can improve!

7. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Avoid At All Costs!

Apr 12, 2022 - Automotive Service Advisor in Mount Holly, NJ
    Business Outlook

Pros

The people. Not the suits. The shuttle drivers. The techs. The every day people trying to tow the company line.

Cons

The suits. The lies. The deception. Lol. Where do I begin?! When they hire you, you are sold on promoting from within. That if you out perform your contract, they’ll adjust appropriately. Basically I feel less intelligent for believing their lies. You can totally get promoted from within, if you fit into their budget. It’s all about the money to them. Your qualifications are irrelevant! 20+ years of parts and service experience to be passed over for open service manager position to a tech with 3 months of Covid service writing experience? Passed over for a different position by someone from OUTSIDE THE COMPANY!!! I mean it is LAUGHABLE!! Raises?! Secret Time: they only OFFER you a raise when they think they are going to lose valuable employees. If you put in for a raise be prepared to be ignored as much as possible by upper store management and corporate executives when they come in. Oh and don’t even try to put in for raise before working there for AT LEAST 18 months. My one friend, who is STILL someone I keep in touch with, (sup Lobes!) got offered $15 PER WEEK more than he was currently making. I put in for a raise and it was only discussed with me after 3 months when I put in my notice. Work/Life Balance - If you do choose to work here, prepare to have no life. I did the math, and brought it to higher ups attention, that service advisors basically work two months FOR FREE!!! You work every other weekend with no compensatory day off. You are told to arrive at least 30 minutes in advance to let people in 30 minutes before the store hours state you are open. JUST CHANGE THE SIGN TO REFLECT THAT TIME!!! Then you all have to stay an hour after the techs leave IN CASE a customer has a question. You know how many questions relevant to their service visit we were asked? I could probably count on one hand. Post Life: Couldn’t be happier. Significantly more successful than with CarSense/CarShop/Whatever They Change it to in a year or two. I did my exit interview as requested and actually got an email from corporate. I responded to their requests and it’s more than a year later and haven’t heard back. Then apparently they take down the more risqué reviews as soon as possible to boost their image. Yes, they do require reviews. Look at all the posts! There is a significant number of reviews posted within a day or two. That means they bought the store lunch or something similar. Good luck reaching out to corporate to find out why they took your review down. They don’t make it so you can’t reach out to them! Anyway, this is the tip of the iceberg. I’d put the rest in but they won’t change.

4 people found this review helpful

CarShop Response

I appreciate you taking time to give us feedback. It’s great that you enjoyed your coworkers – they are the heart and soul of what makes us CarShop. I am sorry that you did not feel the appreciation that CarShop has for every associate. We care. This means making sure CarShop associates know how much they are valued, as well as compensating them fairly. We strive to pay competitive wages, as well as to cultivate genuine relationships between our associates and management team. We also hire to retire. This means that we do like to promote from within and strive to retain our current associates over hiring new ones whenever possible. Of course, we aren’t perfect and are always looking to improve. Please feel free to reach out to the HR department or your manager so we can spend some time talking through this. We know that Saturdays are tough! Retail can have its challenges, but we really try and balance the workload. We believe you need to recharge occasionally and try to give our associates a weekend off now and again. I’m sorry to hear about your negative experience taking PTO. That is certainly not what we strive for, and I appreciate your feedback. We would never want you to feel as though leaving reviews is a requirement. We solicit reviews good, bad, and ugly. We want the feedback! You love your job? Great! Tell us about it! You don’t love your job? Tell us what we can fix! We want our associates to reach out so we can get an understanding of their frustrations and concerns.

8. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Great Start to A Career

Feb 27, 2022 - Sales Associate in Pittsburgh, PA
    Business Outlook

Pros

training, people, money, atmosphere room to grow

Cons

hours, saturdays, corporate numbers needed to hit. High pressure sales

CarShop Response

Thank you for your feedback. We do try to promote from within first and we definitely have growth potential. Our people are our greatest asset! The right work life balance is so important to us at CarShop and unlike a traditional dealership, we do not have a 9-9 schedule. We know that Saturdays are tough! Retail can have its challenges, but we really try and balance the workload. We believe you need to recharge occasionally. Thanks again for your review.

9. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 10 years

Read before you consider working at CarShop. Employee from 2008-2022

Mar 4, 2022 -  in Mount Holly, NJ
    Business Outlook

Pros

My fellow co-workers are some of my best friends I've made working there.

Cons

Lets start here, I've worked for this company when it was Car Sense. This WAS a great company to work for. Once the company was sold and became Car Shop the core values of Car Sense went out the window. Employees have left this company hand over fist, the family oriented caring for the employees is out the window. I gave this company 13+ years, when I put in my 3 week notice the executive team & president of the company basically didn't say a word to me, not even an in person thank you. I got a meaningless txt message saying thank you for all the years you been with the company. The sad part is I seen them all before I left and didn't get a in person thank you or even a hand shake. During covid they cut my manager salary in half but didn't cut other managers salary. So I fall behind in my bills while I was doing multiple people's jobs in my department at the dealership. I was doing the Lot Attendant position, Quality control position, photographer position, Detail position, my own position & also I was washing cars on the lot everything I could to keep the department up and running. We went from a 13 man crew to 3 I would like to thank Issac & Hamza who didn't go on furlough and was told to stay like I was. Once again not even a thank you or a good job to any of us. I got a salary decrease while other managers didn't. I was actually written up because myself and other managers had a problem with it and I spoke out about it to another manager. Then the next day the president of Car Shop came to me and threatened my job and yelled at me in front of the driving team associate's. Ever since then there was a grudge held against me. 13+ years just to be treated like an employee who didn't matter during the pandemic! It was never explained to me why my salary was cut and other managers wasn't & I've been there longer then any other manager plus I was doing multiple jobs. We get forced to do survey's even though they say its not mandatory. The managers would get emails saying make sure your team fill out the survey with their names attached to the Google Doc even if the employee doesn't want to do the survey. Just so we can hang a banner for top work place, well it's not a top work place!!! The integrity and morals of Car Shop is no longer and it starts from the top of the executive team & president of Car Shop, they should lead by example not force you to do something while they do the complete opposite of what they preach! There is no praising of the managers of the department ever, all they do is beat you down and expect more & more from you, it's never good enough. The president of the company throws a hissy fit if the company buys you lunch and you don't leave a review on Google or Glassdoor. Sorry sir but your actions aren't genuine and your employees see right through the smoke and mirror tricks, people don't respect you and the Penske organization should take a deeper look into this company, this is why people are leaving the company left & right 10+ year people too. Our head of HR & Payroll left for better opportunity at other employers. Car Shop is a sinking ship with a turnover percentage out of control. The competitive wages is not even close you can go to a company like Target and push carts for more money, there is top detailers there making minimum wage!!! Don't worry they will be leaving soon if they haven't left already. Service techs are on the way out the door for more competitive rates, the service advisors are working 6 days a week with no time off & all that has been brought up and the company doesn't do anything about it work, work, work that is all that is ever cared about, you have senior A techs there who make less then the people you bring in the door to start. Let's not mention how we we're told not to hire people who wasn't vaccinated, equal opportunity employer huh! Also the employees who weren't vaccinated wouldn't get paid for missing time if they had Covid they had to use any PTO time they had to feed their families, but vaccinated employees who we're out during Covid got a all paid time off courtesy of the company and no PTO time was taken. That sounds like discrimination and favoritism to me, but HR allowed it!! If you are not part of the yes sir & do as I say and not as I do group you won't make it in this company! Another example of a manager who had an approved day off to spend time with their child and didn't come in to help with snow removal got the cold shoulder from the president, he has now quit to my knowledge he was also there for more than 13+ years. The facility is out dated techs equipment is not working and out dated, the sales equipment is the same but they want more & more with less & less equipment to run more officially. The WiFi & printers barely work when I left the company. The lack of leadership from the executive team should be looked at feom the Penske Organization. Also back when we we're Car Sense the reviews for Google were incentives just to move the rating up to above a 4.0 Ask yourself is this really a company you want to work for..... Again the PENSKE Organization should take a deeper look into this and start asking questions because this is happening at ALL LOCATIONS, you'll be surprised what you find !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12 people found this review helpful
  10. 5.0

Good place to work

Jan 12, 2022 - Sales Consultant in Cranberry Twp, PA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Base Salary of $20,000, average commission on top of $40,000-$50,000

Cons

No complaints really, the company is good

CarShop Response

Thank you for taking the time to leave this review! We care about our associates and strive to make CarShop a great place for them to work. This is why your feedback is so important. Keep letting us know what we are doing right, and any suggestions you have for improvement!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 539 Reviews

CarShop Reviews FAQs

CarShop has an overall rating of 4.6 out of 5, based on over 657 reviews left anonymously by employees. 95% of employees would recommend working at CarShop to a friend and 94% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -3% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, CarShop employees rate their compensation and benefits as 4.4 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at CarShop. This rating has decreased by -5% over the last 12 months.

95% of CarShop employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated CarShop 4.5 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.6 for culture and values and 4.6 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at CarShop to be benefits, management, career development and the cons to be work life balance .

Popular Careers with CarShop Job Seekers