Card Factory Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Karen Hubbard

Pros
  • Friendly staff and approachable managment (in 6 reviews)

• if you really enjoy working in retail as I do it's a good job fast paced and fun (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • No real health and safety there and no first aiders whatsoever (in 8 reviews)

• Minimum wage: salary should at least attempt to be competitive for the amount of work you are supposed to be doing (in 12 reviews)

1. "Store Manager"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Worcester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Worcester, England (UK)

I have been working at Card Factory full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have been working at a Card Factory as a Store Manager since October, 2016.

So far it has been a fantastic experience, and there are great things happening all the time.

From when I accepted the job the administration was very quick to come from HR, something that I have never experienced before, the area manager was in regular contact before starting which made me feel very welcome and part of the team before I started.

On the first day that I started I went to my training store and was the area manager was there to go through some bits.

The training given was great. 2 weeks training and in that time the area manager visited to see how I was doing and also we went to my store for the day so I could see the team and also see how the store ran.

On my first day in my own store my training manager came with me and also again the area manager was present.

The support from my area manager was and is fantastic, always there for support if needed and to answer questions.

Store visits are regular and the support and guidance is there.

In the several months that I have been with the company I have seen so many changes that have been for the better and there are so many more changes that are taking place in the next 18 months. I am excited to be part of a growing, successful company.

There are great benefits to working for the company for both management and staff. For the store manager if targets are met then you gets monthly bonus and for this is a fantastic amount each month. Likewise you get paid for every hour you do which in a lot of management roles these days you aren't so this is an added bonus. Likewise there is no silly early morning starts.

Head office and field based staff are very friendly, supportive and welcoming and nothing is too much trouble.

It is lovely to work for a company where you get a lot of recognition and praise as a lot of companies you don't get this.

Progression is available within the company to all levels with training, and new training initiatives being rolled out this year!

All in all a fantastic comoany to work for!

Cons

Everyday is different and take each day as it comes! There aren't no negatives!

2. "Fantastic Company To Work For"

Current Employee - Area Manager in Swindon, Gloucestershire, South West England, England (UK)

Pros

I have been working for Card Factory since Jan 2017 and it has been a fantastic experience from the start . Superb training and support from my line manager and fellow colleagues. We are a company full of passion , enthusiasm and inspiration across all channels. I am extremely proud to be part of the company .

Cons

There are no negative comments

3. "Good Job"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Assistant in Grimsby, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Assistant in Grimsby, England (UK)

I worked at Card Factory part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Easy part time job, training is simple and was enjoyable to work here, would recommend for anyone looking for an easy way to earn a bit of money.

Cons

Less flexible than I would have liked but it was during the busy Christmas period. No other cons at all really.

Advice to Management

Carry on doing what you're doing, everyone was friendly, welcoming and easy to work with. Enjoyable and would work here again.

5. "Honest review"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Hastings, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Hastings, England (UK)

I have been working at Card Factory part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Close knit team - It's like a second family
    Everyday is different
    Extremely supportive area manager
    Extremely supportive store manager
    Lots of opportunity to further your career
    I feel like i actually have a voice within the company.
    Great range of products
    Great customers

Cons

Long days, especially in a season (although the days do go quickly)
    Wages aren't very competitive (But most retail jobs are low wage)
    Store is far too hot in summer with spotlights on

Advice to Management

Allow us to turn off spotlights in hot weather
    Make uniform a better fit, the large doesn't feel like a large!

6. "Management"

I have been working at Card Factory full-time

Pros

Great company I've been with them for 10 years

Cons

Very fast paced... you'll either live it or hate it

Advice to Management

Keep evolving, it's lovely seeing the positive changes

7. "Duty manager"

I worked at Card Factory full-time

Pros

Store staff were brilliant to work with. Always had a laugh and know how to make the day good

Cons

Under appreciated. Management didn't know what they were doing and not enough training given. Pay was under minimum wage when doing the hours you was expected to do

8. "Poorly organised company"

Former Employee - Supervisor in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)

I worked at Card Factory part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible with shifts, a fairly easy job

Cons

Ran a shop with 3 other people under 23 with little help from corporate and no manager.

Advice to Management

Have greater checks and balances on who you hire

"Has it's ups and downs"

Former Employee - Sales Assisntant in Londonderry County Borough, Northern Ireland (UK)

I worked at Card Factory (Less than a year)

Pros

It was a nice place to work for, the people were friendly and working there was pretty relaxing

Cons

Hour stability, there are times where your called in because someone else is either sick, doesn't turn up or just to cover for a shift which is fine but any plans you had for the day can be thrown out the window
    I remember being asked to come in on days where I had plans that had to be put on hold
    Sometimes there is a little bit of politics with management which can be a little bit frustrating
    There are times where is does get more stressful towards seasons like Christmas and any other holidays which if your new and recently came into the job can be pretty overwhelming
    Also not enough hours for part-timers, either 0-4 or more contracts

Advice to Management

Better hours for your employees, no one is going to be able to pay bills if their only given 0-4 hour contracts and also better support for recent employees, I've seen a few nice people having to leave because they were overwhelmed

10. "Good first job experience"

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Assistant in Wallasey, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Assistant in Wallasey, England (UK)

I worked at Card Factory part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly colleagues, good work experience, enjoyed working in retail, not stressful

Cons

Non that I can think of - was a seasonal job but I enjoyed it

11. "Assistant manager"

I worked at Card Factory full-time

Pros

The staff below the manager are lovely

Cons

Cons. Where to start. The management expect an ungodly amount of work for the lack of hours and staff to do so. The manament clearly don't speak to one another because what one says the other doesn't like and wants to change it. The stress as lower management is too much especially when you get little in the way of complements in return, all they care about is money saving and not the staff. I was accused of something that wasn't true and because someone higher up than me told them so I was fired dispite the fact they had no hard evidence however a manager threw away stock mounting up to thousounds of pounds but still has a job as a manager. The entire company is an absolute disgrace. I do not recommend working for them at all.

Advice to Management

Learn some respect and ease pressure off lower management staff such as I was, the job load was ridiculous and for nothing return. My advice. Get new management.