KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

3.2
Chef'd Founder and CEO Kyle Ransford
Kyle Ransford

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Benefits are great and the its culture is top notch(in 3 reviews)
  • "From the constant test food coming out of the kitchen to the free food from the employee grocery store.(in 3 reviews)
Cons
    There are no cons to display at this time.
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Fun atmosphere and great people

Jun 20, 2019 - Senior Account Manager in El Segundo, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Relaxed atmosphere with kind and smart individuals working alongside you. If you have ideas to bring to the table, the executive team will listen.

Cons

Funding is uncertain and there isn't a lot of sharing after board meetings.

2. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Fun and Exciting Pop-Up Company for Foodies

Mar 22, 2017 - Chef'd Care in El Segundo, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Since the company is fairly new, there isn't much of a structure to follow but watching the company grow (very fast) makes it so exciting to work here. Given that this is a pop-up company with a business model that's very unique, all implementations are created organically and it's nice to be a part of the solution to problem-solving issues since all ideas are welcome. The company is growing fast that new opportunities open up and the company seems to promote employees internally before searching out for applicants. Every branch of the department is fun to work with and are very accommodating especially if you're new. The culture is very lively and it's hard to last working here the entire day without laughing. The benefits are pretty good - medical, dental and vision.

Cons

Since the company is young, you have to be on your toes as to adjust to any scenario that the company may not already have solutions for. You have to think fast especially if there is an onboarding of any new program/new services Chef'd implements. It may overwhelm you if you're not able to adapt soon enough or not good at problem-solving. They give you a lot of free food they're always dishing up in the culinary test kitchen which could be a challenge if you're on a diet. On some rare occasions, you might have to stay an hour later to finish up work - but that solely depends on how fast you work. Since the company is growing so fast the parking lot is so backed up so bring your lunch so you don't lose your spot.

1 person found this review helpful
  3. 3.0

Hectic Startup

May 18, 2020 - Content Specialist in El Segundo, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Moving up in the company was forced because of rapid growth

Cons

Hectic atmosphere Little communication between leaders

4. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

A Great Place, Though Challenging

Feb 7, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Chef'd really is an awesome place to work, and I truly think it is doing something new and innovative. Just about everyone there is very friendly and happy to be apart to the company. It's still a very young company, so there is a lot of room for growth and change. Since the business model is very unique, there's a lot of trail-blazing and trying new things. There really isn't a blueprint for this kind of company, so unique ideas come up and are implemented all the time. It's been a great opportunity to build something new from the ground up. I've seen the negative reviews posted here, and can say: they're from the people you wouldn't want to take advice from anyways. The only reasons people have been let go is because they either didn't work hard, or didn't do what they said they would. You do your work, and management will do everything they can to keep you around.

Cons

The uniqueness can also be a con. Some procedures and guidelines, that are probably more solid at other companies, are more fluid here. New opportunities are always coming up, but that can cause some stress as everyone figures out how to go about something for the first time. Definitely have to think on your feet, and be ready to be self-reliant for a bit.

5. 1.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Worst Company I've Ever Worked For

Sep 22, 2017 - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Nothing, nada, zero, zip, zilch, diddly-squat.

Cons

This is the shadiest, dirtiest company I've ever had the pleasure of leaving. The environment is absolutely toxic and intolerable. You feel like you're walking on egg shells every day and one small mistake could cost you your job. The movie Horrible Bosses is like a walk in the park compared to working for this place. CEO is the most arrogant, narcissist I've ever met in my life who doesn't wash his hands after using the restroom (gross!) and scowls at the company's warehouse associates as if they are all diseased peasants. Good luck posing any issues to HR about your issues too, because there's an inappropriate relationship with HR and CEO. This company does not want creative or innovative workers, they want YES MAN workers who never question any decision they make. Unless you are an investor throwing 10+ million dollars at the company, you are a pee on. Speaking of pee, warehouse workers hate it so much there that there was even an occasion where they peed in a jar on the warehouse floor. Yeah, think about that the next time you order a meal from here. Not to mention there are cockroaches in the warehouse break room that I'm sure will end up in a customer box relatively soon. The execs at this company are the most disrespectful, terrible and corrupt people and have no idea how to run the company effectively.

26 people found this review helpful
  6. 5.0

I love this Place

Oct 27, 2017 - Warehouse Supervisor in El Segundo, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

I have worked for this company for almost three years now, I love the culture and the environment. The Owner is hands on you see him just about everyday. You just have to come to work and do your job. If you like to start drama then you will soon be out the door, and those are the people leaving those negative comments. We have a great team, everyone is helpful. You will grow in the company as long as you bring your A game.

Cons

The parking really is the worst. I recommend taking the Green line which is about a two block walk, or car pool. We have a good number of temp employees and some just come for the paycheck so those people just have to be weeded out here and there. Also, since it is a new company, they are still trying to get a good balance when it comes to schedules, be prepared to do some overtime, but who doesn't like a little extra money here and there?

2 people found this review helpful
  7. 5.0

CHEF'D ROCKS!!!

Sep 14, 2017 - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

I have been working at Chef’d for more than year and I have to say that it has been by far, the best place I've ever worked! I say this because I'm challenged each day, motivated to do my best and feel supported by my management team. It's a joy coming to work each day! I really enjoy working at Chef’d. My colleagues, are all really great people to work along-side. Besides the great environment you experience in this company it feels good to know that Chefd has its employees/clients best interests at heart. Benefits are great and the its culture is top notch

Cons

If you are the type of person that like to be challenged each day and love to work in a fast paced growing environment then Chef’d is the right place for you.

1 person found this review helpful
  8. 2.0

Poor Management, No Room For Growth

Mar 19, 2018 - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Discount on meal kits, access to test kitchen recipes, unlimited PTO (although often frowned upon for taking it- which usually comes with "unlimited" PTO), occasional free grocery store items

Cons

-Extremely high turn over when I was there with little concern from upper management about fixing the issues at hand. -Marketing and sales suffer from poor communication and team work. There's a constant power struggle between the two groups and lack of synergy. -Upper management needs A LOT of work. Between disappointing benefits and perks, to lack of room for growth and an extremely poor HR set up, it's clear that the employee's happiness at Chef'd does not come first. -No raises, few reviews -Complete lack of transparency in the company's well-being/success

7 people found this review helpful
  9. 5.0

The Great Chef'D

Feb 8, 2017 - Recevng Lead in El Segundo, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Chef'd is a awesome company to work for. I have been working with Chef'D for 2 years now and it has been nothing but the Best experience. Possibly the best job I have ever had. There is so much opportunity to grown with the company if you keep grinding and give everything your all. Everyone is treated like family at Chef'D. I also love the fact that the CEO Kyle is here at the Facility everyday handling his business, giving tours, also checking on his employees. This is truly a great company!!!!

Cons

Since this is a start up company there are some procedures, Rolls and responsibilities that need to fall into place.

10. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Best Company Perks

Feb 2, 2017 - Marketing Assistant in El Segundo, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

The people and culture are amazing very special. It's a large company but still has that close family vibe . Every day is a new adventure and we get to try all kinds of yummy food from many different partners. This was my first start up experience and I love it, it's always changing and growing fast and that is what makes it so fun to come to work everyday!

Cons

There are so many new faces and names everyday that it's hard to keep up.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 32 Reviews

Chef'd Reviews FAQs

Chef'd has an overall rating of 3.2 out of 5, based on over 35 reviews left anonymously by employees. 48% of employees would recommend working at Chef'd to a friend and 43% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has been stable over the past 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Chef'd employees rate their compensation and benefits as 2.9 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Chef'd. This rating has been stable over the past 12 months.

48% of Chef'd employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Chef'd 3.3 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.1 for culture and values and 3.0 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Chef'd to be management, benefits, career development and the cons to be diversity and inclusion, senior leadership.