Cherokee Nation Reviews | Glassdoor

CEO

1. "Comp Analyst"

Current Employee - Comp Analyst in Tahlequah, OK
    Current Employee - Comp Analyst in Tahlequah, OK

I have been working at Cherokee Nation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

working with a great group of critical thinkers.

Cons

Challenges associated with political correctness

Advice to Management

Run the tribal side like a corporation which would free up revenue to provide better pay for the hard workers and eliminate the bad workers.

2. "Maintenance/Skilled Laborer"

Former Employee - Maintenance/Skilled Laborer in Tahlequah, OK
    Former Employee - Maintenance/Skilled Laborer in Tahlequah, OK

I worked at Cherokee Nation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very laid back environment. The benefits were all encompassing and really good. Short commute. Company truck during business hours. Always provided more than adequate tools.

Cons

Absolutely no possibility for advancement. Co-workers with no real skill set and very little motivation to work. Corruption dipped in nepotism.

Advice to Management

Management would greatly benefit from external audits. Management needs to be held accountable for out and out laziness, lack of efficiency, and conspicuous consumption.

3. "Environmental Specialist"

Former Employee - Environmental Specialist in Tahlequah, OK
    Former Employee - Environmental Specialist in Tahlequah, OK

I worked at Cherokee Nation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Company. Worthwhile Mission. Good peers. Lots of training opportunities. Great springboard to good jobs. Nice small town.

Cons

Starting salary only good for new grads. Work environment is stagnant. Only need to be on time to work. Clock out on time. Dress "professionally". Quality or quantity of work is irrelevant. Best/brightest employees leave after a few years.

Advice to Management

Focus on retaining employees. Management consists of apathetic employees with salaries that make the organization top heavy.

5. "Cons out weigh the Pros"

Former Employee - Analyst in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Analyst in Washington, DC

Pros

Honestly I struggled to even find one positive. The pay is comparable to most contract companies in the area currently.

Cons

After a tumultuous year of working for Cherokee Nation the cons far outweighed the pros of working for this company. The company has been trying to make its way into the government sector for contracts and unfortunately the company is lacking knowledge in how to run these contracts. Over the last year there have been numerous changes in management with the company for my section and it has lead to major inconsistencies and lack of oversight. Everyday there is a new change. The benefits aren't even that great which makes keeping employees very difficult. The individuals that handle the benefits are in a different state so individuals that work off site have to rely heavily on email to try to get their questions answers. The company only offers to match up to HALF of 4% for their 401K. The health insurance is through BCBS but the company hired a side company to handle all the claims, etc. It is very difficult to get someone on the phone to help.

Advice to Management

The company seems to have a motto of we hired you so you should be happy to have a job. I guess in the short term that works but in the long term the company needs to seriously take into consideration ways to keep employee's. In the year I have been with the company 5 individuals have left. It doesn't sound like a lot but in the government sector finding individuals that can meet the requirements to work in certain sections is very difficult. The company has seem to become lost and out of touch with reality.

6. "Great Employer for NE Oklahoma"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tahlequah, OK

I have been working at Cherokee Nation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent Benefits and a great environment!

Cons

There really aren't any cons other than pay is mid range or so.

7. "Interesting Place to Work"

Former Employee - Help Desk Technician in Tahlequah, OK
    Former Employee - Help Desk Technician in Tahlequah, OK

I worked at Cherokee Nation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Awesome supervisor, awesome benefits, friendly people (as long as they're in your department)

Cons

Native preference undermines the free market of human capital, therefore many sub-par workers are employed.

Advice to Management

The most important lesson I learned at Cherokee Nation is that management should focus on building a cohesive team. If there are interpersonal issues, the team is less likely to collaborate.

8. "At first it was good until they changes management"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Sallisaw, OK
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Sallisaw, OK

I worked at Cherokee Nation full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits 401k guest

Cons

They don't care about there employees all they care about is the money you aren't appreciated even if you worked 24 hours a day you would never be thanked

Advice to Management

Management is horrible they only care about money they treat you like crap they have no respect for there employees they only care about making themselves look good they don't know how to do the jobs on the floor but sure do know how to critique

9. "Exciting and unique workplace with a cultural focus"

Current Employee - Manager in Tahlequah, OK
    Current Employee - Manager in Tahlequah, OK

I have been working at Cherokee Nation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The knowledge that I am helping the people in my tribe, there is always something interesting going on, one of the best employers in a very rural area where jobs can be scarce. Many types of professional and stepping stone opportunities available, especially in health care. Liberal vacation and other benefits, great 401K and opportunities for training and advancement.

Cons

None that I can think of.

10. "You really need to be identifiably native american to get in the door."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tahlequah, OK

I have been working at Cherokee Nation full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Though the pay rates are often under the median for the area, the health benefits are better than average. Office culture varies by the departmental unit. Training funds are usually in the budget. The native culture is alive in some departments but in some you may never know it's a tribe or a government. Many kind and compassionate people work there with a zeal for the services they offer the citizens under their programs. Look for many job openings coming up as many elders will be entering retirement.

Cons

Though training funds are often budgeted, it's near impossible to get training approved. Personal growth really depends on your manager and their willingness to work with you. Mangers have very little oversight of their actions so some take an autocratic approach to management. Some managers love to micro manage. Religiosity could stand to be scaled back.

Advice to Management

I am not sure if a consultant could do good for the organization due to tribal cultural undertones which would be near impossible to change.

11. "Welcoming environment that is fast paced and dealing with a broad range of technologies."

Current Employee - Multimedia Developer in Tahlequah, OK
    Current Employee - Multimedia Developer in Tahlequah, OK

I have been working at Cherokee Nation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This is an opportunity to give back to my Cherokee Community, and help improve our Nation.

Cons

There is not any i can come up with at the moment.