Clinical Support Options Reviews | Glassdoor

1. "I love my job!!!!"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Northampton, MA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Northampton, MA

I have been working at Clinical Support Options part-time

Pros

great coworkers, great culture and atmosphere, plenty of opportunities to learn, training opportunities, benefits package, flexible managers

Cons

pay is average for the field (although all of the other benefits outweigh this)

Advice to Management

Great work!

"Horrible culture & pay"

Former Employee - Manager in Greenfield, MA
    Former Employee - Manager in Greenfield, MA

I worked at Clinical Support Options full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The work itself is rewarding, but everything about the agency is horrible. The executive leadership is greedy and corrupt. The only way to get ahead is to have a personal relationship with the CEO.

Cons

Ineffective leadership
    Poor wages
    Expectations don't match reality
    Nepotism
    Lack of ethics
    No follow through on policies
    Fraud
    Lack of acknowledgment for good consistent work

"NON Trauma Informed"

Former Employee - Program Coordinator in Greenfield, MA
    Former Employee - Program Coordinator in Greenfield, MA

Pros

People with limited income can access some very good therapists and services from some direct care staff who truly care.

Cons

CSO administrators spent thousands of dollars on flashy posters about how CSO is Trauma informed. But the way the administration treats people as replaceable commodities and how out of relationship they are with some of the basic tenets of being in respectful, healing relationship with others was surprising.

Advice to Management

To be trauma informed means to have a deeper understanding of human nature and the way trauma influences behavior and then to set up positive, caring conditions that help people achieve wellness . It is to stand with people not clinically "observe, judge and react" to them in a way that is authoritative, incomplete and maybe more harmful than doing nothing at all.

4. "Positive experience"

Former Employee - Clinician in Greenfield, MA
    Former Employee - Clinician in Greenfield, MA

I worked at Clinical Support Options full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Group supervision and specialized meetings in support of clinical work were highly organized and accessible here. I found the clinical director to be extremely pleasant to work with and highly accessible when I was at this location. I also had excellent supervision. I was allowed to have a very flexible schedule to accommodate my busy parenting schedule

Cons

The work was largely fee-for-service when I was working at the agency. Paperwork was at the time in paper form and was highly cumbersome.

Advice to Management

Consider offering more salaried positions. Consider raising salary for people who are bilingual not only at the pre-licensed level but also for licensed clinicians as an incentive to attract more bilingual staff.

5. "Great Supervision and onsite trainings"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Clinical Support Options as an intern

Pros

I had fantastic supervision while I was an intern at CSO. I was also able to regularly participate in trainings that were of no cost and highly relevant to my learning.

Cons

Large work environment can be isolating at times.

"Total Lack of Respect"

I have been working at Clinical Support Options part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The actual clinicians really do care, for the most part, about the clients.

Cons

The upper-level management did not care about the workers during a recent strike. They also do not care about the clients other than how to make money from their insurance, and do not respond to concerns/complaints, despite their policies and guidelines claiming that CSO does care. People (clients or employees) who complain are intimidated, despite there being a policy allegedly protecting whistleblowers.
    As some other reviewers have stated, CSO management does not care about lower-level employees or the clients. I know of an issue in which CSO, under the auspices of Green River House and Quabbin House (programs for people with mental health diagnosis) runs a lunchcounter at a bus station. The workers there (who are members of the two clubhouses, with jobs called Transitional Employment or Supported Employment, only for clubhouse members, NOT standard jobs that outside people can apply for) have to prepare food on small household appliances which are not adequate for restaurant use and keep breaking. CSO claims it cannot afford to purchase proper restaurant equipment. Perhaps the overpaid CEO and others should try working there and see how hard it is! (Instead of telling these nice people that they are "too slow and unproductive", which is inaccurate).
    Also, I know of a case where a CSO employee, who is also a CSO client and member of one of the clubhouse programs, filed several complaints over a few years, with the help of their therapist and a CSO manager. They had no results from this so they wanted to file a fourth complaint. They were then allegedly told by another CSO employee that the previous complaints "did not exist" and that the people who helped file them "are lying to you". The employee/client is of course quite confused and upset now and does not know whom to believe. There have been other people who have experienced similar situations, especially in regards to Green River House in Greenfield.
    Whistleblowers are supposed to be protected from harassment, but believe me that is NOT the case at CSO. It is emotional torture for them.
    I wish the reviewer (a former manager in Greenfield) who mentioned "FRAUD" would actually REPORT this alleged fraud, as well as the ethics issues and nepotism mentioned in the review. I imagine that Social Security and the insurance companies, as well as DMH, would appreciate this information! If you don't work there anymore, what are you afraid of? We need your help!!!!!!!
    Also, why are unionized employees intimidating lower-level unionized and non-unionized employees and clients who have issues with CSO? Are they being threatened with firing? Why don't these people tell the union that their bosses are making them intimidate/lie to other employees and clients????? That is what unions are for.
    The atmosphere, as another reviewer from Greenfield pointed out, is NOT "Trauma Informed" at all. It's nauseating.

Advice to Management

I am not sure what to say to these people, as they seem to simply not care about anything other than money. Perhaps "quit and let some decent people take over" !

7. "Great Place to Work"

Pros

CSO invests a lot of energy and thought into their employees happiness and wellbeing, and management genuinely cares about their staff.

The benefits are AMAZING (time off, health & dental etc.)

The office dynamic is great, CSO has a strong community among their staff. Since I started I definitely feel like I've been welcomed into the CSO family with open arms. Everyone also shares the same goals of helping others & strengthening the community, which is awesome.

There are also lots of opportunities for growth and professional development, they are constantly running trainings & encouraging staff to take on new challenges.

CSO also allows for flexible schedules & the ability to work from home

Cons

Its non-profit so the company is spread thin (i.e. there is a lot of work & few people qualified to cover for you if you are out), and the pay leaves a lot to be desired.

Advice to Management

scale up the number of employees as the company grows.

"Little compensation and support"

I have been working at Clinical Support Options full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

colleagues work hard and are supportive, some direct supervisors are supportive, these are some of the only things that make working here tolerable.

Cons

CSO claims to be trauma-informed, but does not act in a trauma-informed way. Employees are belittled and invalidated, particularly during union negotiations, when employees who explained their experiences were told that that "doesn't happen". Management will say they care about employees, but absolutely will not put this into action in any way. One of the requests from the union was an annual survey to employees about the quality of their supervision, as lack of supervision is a known issue here. CSO would not do this, though really it would have cost very little, because they didn't see a problem with supervision. Nevermind that everyone in the room (who is not management and actually does require supervision, and are the ones who would know if there was a problem with it), say that there was. This happens with everything, big or small. It's a decent stepping stone, but don't plan to stay here. You will care for your clients, but your employer will not care for you. No one deserves to be treated like this, especially people who work in a field that does not pay well and who are often assigned difficult cases and large caseloads.

Advice to Management

Actually be trauma-informed. Listen to your employees when they express concern, and make a real effort to address them. This should not be difficult for people leading a mental health agency, and the lack of this is truly appalling and disappointing in so many ways. You use money as an excuse to not make changes, but some changes (like the supervision survey), would require little and might make you seem like you care because you are making an effort.

"TM experience"

Former Employee - Family Support Worker
    Former Employee - Family Support Worker

I worked at Clinical Support Options full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people to work alongside, services are important, the mission makes an impact

Cons

I started a role working directly with kids with severe emotional/behavioral concerns, and had little to no supervision. I went several months without a direct supervisor. I feel safety and prep for staff was poorly provided and this is a necessity for people working in this field.

Advice to Management

More opportunities for OTJ training, regular and structured supervision.

"A stepping stone atmosphere."

Pros

Decent training opportunities. Flexible hours. Nice coworkers. Better pay than some places but limited earning potential overall. Digital record keeping.

Cons

Overwhelming amount of paperwork. This is a problem industry wide not just at this company.

Local management is supportive in theory but aloof in their execution. Validation is rare unless it's through the official system they've set up for acknowledging employee efforts. They are nice but they feel standoffish and you are never sure where you stand with them. This adds to the feeling that this is not a place to land for the long term.

Upper management is disappointing. A federal mediator brought in to be a neutral party during a recent strike actually apologized to the employees at the end of negotiations, stating his shock at management's hardness. After it was all over, local management did nothing to bridge the gap to rebuild trust and good faith in the day to day workplace. A wasted opportunity for genuine team building.

Advice to Management

Lighten up. Listen more. Build loyalty by advocating for your employees, not just your clients.