Column Engineering Reviews | Glassdoor

CEO

1. "Lots to learn!!!"

Former Employee - Lab Technician in Ontario, CA
    Former Employee - Lab Technician in Ontario, CA

I worked at Column Engineering full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I was fascinated with all of the hands on experience! John was very focused on producing quality products for other labs using his chromatography columns as well a accurate lab results for companies using our services. Also, we were a tightly knit group, often eating lunch together daily as well as enjoying our monthly Friday lunch out, provided by the owner, John.

Cons

Due to deadlines, many here ran at a high stress level; however, all employees held a high standard for themselves as well thoughtfulness for the others they worked with.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and quality products. Thank you for the opportunity to expand my knowledge of chemistry and office management.

2. "Absent/Inattentive Recruiters"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Column Engineering as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Column showed great promise when I started, they located me job that fit my talents.

Cons

My pay was low with good reason I felt at the start, I didn't have much on the job exp, but am a quick and dependable study, so after my extension I had hoped for a pay increase to no avail. Contact with my recruiter was and is sparse, not much contact if I don't reach out to them, and even then, response is slow moving. Almost as if I am a inconvenience when I make any requests about upcoming jobs. Which leads me to flying solo on my job search.

Advice to Management

Recommend recruiters adapt more inter-personal skills with contact to those of us that are hired out to other companies. We don't need hand-holding mind you, but more contact other then when the contract is over. Far too much radio silence has been maintained.

3. "Micro Managment"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Lombard, IL
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Lombard, IL

Pros

The pay to recruiters salary and commission were very good.

Cons

Lack of trust in employees and very micromanaged - lack of funds to sales team to go out and sell as well as recruiters did not have quotas to make - so Account Executives have a very hard time with new clients.

Advice to Management

Be upfront with potential candidates for Account Executive - let them know how limited their territories are and how The owner is actually also an Account Executive.

Column Engineering Response

Apr 21, 2016 – Recruiter

Thank you for your feedback! We are sorry that Column's environment felt micromanaged. At Column we strive for an environment that is not a body shop mentality, yet assures everyone be ... More

5. "Great Company To Consult For"

Former Contractor - Quality Engineer in Lombard, IL
    Former Contractor - Quality Engineer in Lombard, IL

I worked at Column Engineering as a contractor (More than 10 years)

Pros

Higher Pay to Consultants
    Free Life Insurance

Cons

No Paid Time Off (Hourly)

"Column Engineering"

Current Contractor - Software Test Engineer in Buffalo Grove, IL
    Current Contractor - Software Test Engineer in Buffalo Grove, IL

I have been working at Column Engineering as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have a good job through Column. I have been here for 4 + years during a tough economy.

Cons

There are no benefits. If I work, I get paid. That's it, no holiday pay no vacation no bonuses. After 4 years I have gotten one raise of $2/Hr. The insurance they offer is no better than what I can find on my own. 3-4 times a year, our rep from Column shows up to take us (There are 6 of us working for Column at my location) and takes us out to lunch. Then he tells us about jobs in other states but never about a position in the area. Then he ignores us for another few months.

Advice to Management

Don't ignore people. Don't treat contractors as disposable. Don't just expect us to stay no matter what. If you do ignore your people, don't complain when they leave.