Cross Co. Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.1
Steve Earley

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "A company with heart!"

I have been working at Cross Co. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Cross is a terrific place to work! Associates are like family and we enjoy coming to work each day! The C- level executives truly practice Servant Leadership. Servant leadership is the foundation of Cross and we strive to practice the qualities each day. What a privilege and a pleasure to be associated with this great organization!

Cons

No place is perfect but Cross is close!

2. "Good Company"

Current Employee - Engineer in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Engineer in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Cross Co. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

ESOP is a great benefit

Cons

Not much job resposibility. Can be boring at times.

3. "Awesome Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greensboro, NC

I have been working at Cross Co. full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I love the people at Cross and that our managers and executives genuinely care about the associates here. I love that it is a 100% employee-owned company so there is a lot of transparency and accountability and it also has a great "family" feel to it. They put a lot of effort into training and growing the associates that show an interest and have an apptitude for growth.

Cons

It is a smaller company so many times you have to wear different hats. Sometimes that is good because it broadens your experience, but not everyone likes pitching in in different areas or teams depending on personality.

Advice to Management

Continue your commitment to Servant Style Leadership and supporting the associates!

4. "Account Manager/Sales"

Former Employee - Account Manager/Sales in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Account Manager/Sales in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Cross Co. full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

ESOP Pension. Work life balance. Great CEO and some very sharp support engineers. They try to facilitate an open dialogue with employees.

Cons

Company has changed dramatically in last 4 years losing much of its core values. Major favoritism given to people depending on who you are and the location you work from. Experienced sales people be very wary. Inexperienced right out of college candidates are what the company wants. Very high turnover at Account Manager position the which used have many people with 10 plus years veterans. Now almost all 5 years or less.

Advice to Management

The highest level of management needs to investigate the core issues themselves without using the filter of middle management.

5. "Great ESOP"

Pros

ESOP, family values,
    Low stress, great atmosphere

Cons

slow to adapt, slow to promote

6. "acct manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

Pros

Love my manager. Helps me do my job. He shields me from top management

Cons

Top management is totally unaware of day to day operations. Also all the forms, metrics, processes, and reports prevent us from doing job.

Advice to Management

Top management - Reduce the reports & processes. You can't visit field once a year and think you understand what's going on. Trust your managers more.

"Best Place I Have Ever Worked"

I have been working at Cross Co. full-time

Pros

People are authentic. Fellow associates and managers genuinely care. People are engaged and accountable. Servant style leadership and open communication.

Cons

Due to the historic successes of Cross, people are slow to change. I think people are afraid they will mess up a good thing (which may be a healthy fear).

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on creating solid strategic plans. Hold on tight to the Core Values.

"Wonderful company that really cares about their associates!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greensboro, NC

I have been working at Cross Co. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits; work/life flexibility; family friendly; competitive salary; ESOP; management that listens and cares. I love that I never have to worry about what the management of this company is doing because transparency is huge at this company and I have the utmost faith that they will be honest and always strive to do the right thing by the associates. I could not feel more blessed to have joined the Cross family and I hope that I can stay with this company for many years to come!

Cons

Smaller company and relatively flat management structure, but experiencing strong growth which will allow for a lot of advancement opportunities.

Advice to Management

Keep up the excellent work!

"Cross Co. is a friendly and good place to work."

Former Employee - Warehouse in Greensboro, NC
    Former Employee - Warehouse in Greensboro, NC

I worked at Cross Co. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company is employee owned so there is a large commitment to growing and bettering the company. The staff at any particular location is not that large, so it is easy to communicate between the different departments easily. The employees generally are nice and treat new employees with much respect. My experience provided me a chance to develop great relationships with the other coworkers.

Cons

The negative of Cross Co. would be since it is a smaller company, there is not a lot of promotions that occur within the company. Promotions only happen when the person above you retires or moves on. The company is growing, however, so more opportunities may present themselves in the near future. The diversity of the jobs performed at Cross Co. are not that broad.

Advice to Management

Provide better incentives to the employees to do their best work. The employees received a cash bonus and this really boosted moral, however the general consensus was that the employees would like to be compensated in their weekly checks (raises).

"Great "smaller" company with encouraging culture."

Former Employee - Director of Operations in Greensboro, NC
    Former Employee - Director of Operations in Greensboro, NC

Pros

- employee owned.
    - large enough for business and human systems "niceties" but small enough to stay in touch.
    - caring culture.
    - somewhat progressive management thinking.
    - customer driven while being employee connected too.

Cons

- too many of its leaders had tunnel vision i.e. "why change? we've our current approach has work well for years.
    - too accepting of mis-steps and failings of some management -- i.e. the markets moved away from sales force and corrective actions taken too late to retain momentum.
    - company retained its paternalistic origins too long and suffered accordingly in the marketplace.

Advice to Management

- must balance desire "to promote from within" with benefits of new energy/vision often gained from "outside new hires" -- especially for key leadership roles.
    - be tougher on creating "sales force accountability" in goals, performance and results.