Customer Direct Reviews | Glassdoor

Robert Nolan Jr.

"customer service representative"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Clair, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Clair, MO

I have been working at Customer Direct full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Get to work with great people and can get support from most follow employees. Most of the accounts are nice or fine hotels and it's rewarding helping people book them for vacations.

Cons

Training was alittle hit and miss when I went through it initially. Training is on going AND when a crossed trained on other accounts, some training was very fast and self learned.

Advice to Management

I suggest a structure training class and dedicated trainer for new employees. For crosstraining have a dedicated cross trainer other than the manager of the account.

2. "I was a CSR for 3 weeks and I quit"

Former Employee - Customer Service Agent in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Customer Service Agent in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Customer Direct full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You can make a lot of money, the employees are really friendly, it's a well kept building and you learn a lot about hotels

Cons

They changed the script we were training in mid way through training, then they changed it again when I got on the floor by the end of the second week, you get graded on calls but the manager doesn't have the current script so it's inaccurate. I quit because I didn't come to work to keep trying my best and consistently get an F.

Advice to Management

Keep everyone up to speed, don't grade people while they're in training it's really stupid you want your employees to prosper and do the best they can for your company employees should be excited to go to work

3. "Horrible Management"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Saint Ann, MO

I worked at Customer Direct full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nothing at all the companies horrible overall.

Cons

You cant use your PTO when requested no matter how early in advance you put it in. They pick and chose who to enforce rules on. There point system for attendance is just horrible it sometimes put points on that you didn't occur. Also mandatory overtime just for select people when they feel like it. Very unprofessional and they do not have a Corporate office which should tell a lot about the company alone there Corporate office is a answering machine.

Advice to Management

Please stop the micromanagement PLEASE.

5. "Refuse to invest in employees"

Former Employee - Manager in Saint Ann, MO
    Former Employee - Manager in Saint Ann, MO

I worked at Customer Direct full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you're looking for easy, part-time, hourly employment and have any experience with Customer Service, this is a great job. It's easy to learn and you have friendly coworkers. As long as this is a stepping stone towards a better job, it's a fine place to work.

Cons

If you're over 25 and realize that one of the most important aspects of a job is the benefits, this isn't for you. For a company that touts that they are "invested in their employees," it took them about 6 years to increase their starting pay by one dollar, still making them not even remotely competitive if you are a hard worker with customer service experience. Furthermore, if you're looking for an actual career, don't look here. Their mid-level managers are paid next to nothing, yet are responsible for the growth and development of the hourly employees. This is why hourly employees can't really grow, because they have unmotivated, underdeveloped managers who aren't offered any tools for growth or development in charge of the majority of the workforce. Additionally, be weary of ANY company that offers nothing in terms of retirement. If a company as profitable as Customer Direct can't even be bothered to offer a 401k to employees who have been committed to the organization for years, it means they have absolutely zero concern with their employees future and see you as replaceable.

Advice to Management

You could easily offer tuition reimbursement, seminars, and additional tools for your employees to grow. You could easily offer a 401k to your employees. You don't do either of these things. This is precisely why you can't keep good employees. Once they're smart enough to learn that almost any other company offers higher wages or better benefits, they will leave.

"Don't Even Bother. Waste of Time!"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Saint Ann, MO

Pros

Nothing. Absolutely nothing when you figure out what this company actually is and what they care about. Which is money, if you're looking for the answer. I was at this company for almost 2 years and I expected them to treat me with some respect, but obviously I left!

If I could give them zero, I would.

Cons

They train you poorly, expecting you to know everything about an area and hotel (or whatever you're learning) in less than 24 hours. Not to mention, they barely know the information they're talking about while they're training you. So, good luck asking them about it later, they won't know nor do they care to!

Most of their management doesn't know what they're talking about and if you talk to them about the problems you're having on calls, good luck with them helping you. Not to mention, if you have a problem on a call, more than likely if the manager doesn't take the account: "I don't know, ask someone else" is going to be your basic response.

They did a complete overhaul of their managers and fired quite a bit of people. Though, they allowed some to stay and demoted them when they should have just been fired. The managers that have stayed? One's that can't even talk to their subordinates without being jerk or backstabbing.

The people grading calls have never met you, probably. When they do, you're already so aggravated with them because they're grading your calls incorrectly from what you're taught or they want to put their own spin on interpretation. All in all, these people don't care about you or the call you're on. They grade how they want and what their mood calls for.

They don't give two hoots about you. You're just another body in a chair, taking phone calls that will be gone in less than a year. Most people don't even make it out of training. Then they think it's some big deal and they pretend to care when someone quits that's worked there for awhile because they can't get anyone decent in.

Weather means nothing to them! If it's snowing, icy, flooding, (etc) and you live 25+ minutes away and risk your health/car, they'll find a way to guilt you for calling out. God forbid you care if you get hurt or wreck the vehicle that allows you to come in.

Calling out means you get a point! Forget a doctors note, they don't care. Any other company would remove the point and excuse you. Them? Nope! Enjoy one point and expect to be delighted that it's "condensed into one point", but... wait... they'll also make you freak out because they'll tell you "We have to see if it can be condensed" and you'll fear you're racking up points while you're in the hospital or sick!

I watched more people in my time there than anywhere else. By the way, their turnover rate is at least 95%, if it gives a better idea.

Advice to Management

Learn the accounts you're managing. Train people correctly. Stop waiting till the last second to train on other accounts. Actually care about your people. Be a decent human being, but that's probably too much to ask!

7. "Not the best, but not the worst either"

Former Employee - Guest Service Specialist in Saint Ann, MO
    Former Employee - Guest Service Specialist in Saint Ann, MO

I worked at Customer Direct full-time

Pros

- Easy job to learn
    - 24 hour environment so usually you can get something that will work for you schedule wise
    - Decent benefits package
    - Opportunity to work from home after 90 days depending on your performance
    - Usually more than enough hours to go around, never saw a cut

Cons

- While scheduling appears flexible you will find they make errors constantly and it is a big pain to fix, not uncommon to work long stretches of days in a row and never get "every other weekend off"
    - Zero tolerance attendance policy, no excused absences, 10 points total after 60 days and 1 call off = 1 point... if you have any sort of chronic illness, you may have an issue here
    - 30 minute lunches and not guaranteed 10 minute breaks, you can be forgotten about easily with one or two people managing over 50-60 agents' lunches/breaks at a time
    - Disgusting cubicles and equipment not well maintained -- they recently upgraded to awful Windows 10 and it was not a smooth transition; constant freezing and lag
    - Not the best pay; $10/hr is very average for the St. Louis area in terms of call centers
    - Training is a mess and leaves a lot to be desired; you'll learn more on the floor and just get confused by the people who train you
    - Management is not good at communication and frequently tells you one thing and does another
    - Advancement is not based on the quality of your work, it is based on how well liked you are; tons of favoritism
    - Supervisors get away with frequent smoke breaks and doing next to nothing
    - They frequently have "golden girls/boys" do stuff that supervisors should be doing for no extra pay, these individuals have gotten in with the "in crowd"
    - Employees get away with a lot of things they should not
    - Clients frequently send mixed messages to Customer Direct which causes confusion and frustration down the chain
    - Disorganized company with no clear direction and no respect for the bottom rung of employees

Advice to Management

Ensure your supervisors are not playing favorites or gossiping on company time. Make sure they are actually working. Don't promote a supervisor into an account that they have zero experience in. Emphasize organization and clear communication. Treat your employees like human beings rather than a body in a chair taking phone calls. Revamp training and get people in there who can actually do the job.

"I would not recommend this place of work"

Former Employee - Call Center Agent in Saint Ann, MO
    Former Employee - Call Center Agent in Saint Ann, MO

I worked at Customer Direct (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay was ok but not worth the harassment.

Cons

Scheduling was terrible, training was terrible, you have a lot of need for diversity training, 99% of the supervisors are Caucasian, and lack general respect.

Advice to Management

Diversity is well needed in your place of work. A lot of your "supervisors" lack respect.

9. "Great company for the most part"

Former Employee - Reservations Agent in Arnold, MO
    Former Employee - Reservations Agent in Arnold, MO

Pros

Awesome incentives, great coworkers and management, easy job, flexible schedule. I enjoyed being at work when I was there and they definitely give credit where credit is due when you work hard. CEO Is great, took me to lunch for exceeding performance goals.

Cons

Company seems to play favorites to certain employees who get away with breaking certain rules. Management can sometimes be involved with petty drama as well

Advice to Management

Stop promoting people who are on a power trip and who gossip like school girls

"Just another Techie"

Former Employee - Technical Support Agent Level I in Saint Ann, MO
    Former Employee - Technical Support Agent Level I in Saint Ann, MO

Pros

• Not team orientated
    • Leaders are Driven by how much they like an Individual instead of Performance\
    • Locally ran
    • CEO walks around and smiles at everyone

Cons

• Incredibly Abysmally bad Organizational Skills
    • Not team orientated
    • Location for St. Ann is poorly picked crime rates are soaring
    • Smelt like a 4/20 factory
    • God awful poor training
    • Terrible team members, they seem psychotic
    • Makes you pay to wear everyday clothing instead of Business Casual

Advice to Management

Stop playing on facebook at work and do your job.

11. "An okay place to work."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Customer Direct full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Set schedule, weekends off, growing business with a lot of new job opportunities

Cons

Low pay, a lot of favoritism

Advice to Management

Promote people based on their skills, not who you like the most