Digg Reviews | Glassdoor

4.1
Digg Founder Kevin Rose
Kevin Rose

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "The new Digg is a thing of beauty and joy"

Current Employee - Developer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Developer in New York, NY

I have been working at Digg full-time

Pros

- Smart, incredibly good-natured, encouraging, and hilarious team
    - Modern and well-built tech stack, and willingness to try out new things where appropriate
    - Lightweight but effective process, and very little meetings overhead
    - Great ownership over your work - everyone has the opportunity to contribute to product decisions and work on features or projects you care about
    - Everyone happy to help each other out
    - Great work/life balance, flexible and informal schedule and vacation
    - Digg is part of Betaworks, which is an amazing community with its own culture, perks and events on top of Digg's already fantastic culture, community and perks
    - No brogrammers
    - Full of foodies! Seriously so much amazing (and often free) food passes through Digg's collective digestive system

Cons

Really can't think of much.
    - I guess I've witnessed a couple instances of bikeshedding since I've been here, but avoiding that completely isn't really possible
    - If you want a LOT of structure and very clear-cut delineation between design, frontend, backend, ops, and project management, you might feel a little lost at Digg, and you might want to go work for a huge company

Advice to Management

Note to readers: in 2012 the Digg brand was sold and the site was rebuilt from scratch by a completely new team, so any older reviews on here are no longer relevant! Looks like even the 2014 reviews refer to the old Digg.

Note to management: keep it up!

2. "Incredible team and culture"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Digg full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Office culture, personal and professional growth.

Cons

At times there was a lack of direction and vision. Needed to have a clear purpose and roadmap.

3. "Fun While it Lasted"

Former Intern - Business Development Intern in San Francisco, CA
    Former Intern - Business Development Intern in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Digg as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked for someone younger than me and less experienced than me in terms of years of experience, but I learned a ton from him. He and the other employees were crazy smart, and had a great culture. I had the opportunity to meet with publishing partners to evangelize the Digg product. I was given the opportunity to evaluate a new advertising product and present to the management team.

Cons

Unfortunately at the time I was there, Digg was trying to balance the demands of their community with the demands of their investors. They were launching V4 of their product and had to focus on improving revenue while making the site more user friendly. It was a tough time for the company.

4. "A fun place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Lots of really smart engineers. The ability to play with new technology and the company willing to take risks

Cons

Lacking a CEO at the moment. We need more tough calls. Need to get management to stick to ideas and execute.

Advice to Management

Stick to your guns, be more data driven and reward those who work really hard. Taking more risk is healthy never be afraid.

5. "Great little company still lacking leadership"

Current Employee - Confidential in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Confidential in San Francisco, CA

Pros

People are incredibly smart + passionate
    Pay is competitive
    Good benefits + perks
    Location in Potrero Hill is convenient
    Dog friendly
    Fairly transparent and approachable leadership
    You can make an impact because the company is still relatively small (less than 100 employees)

Cons

Without a CEO for months and it shows
    Too many ideas, hurting on follow through

Advice to Management

Hire a CEO
    Kevin is great to the external world and very approachable, but we are missing inside leadership.

6. "Great people at Digg"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

An incredibly bright, respectful and hard working group. The potential of what can happen next is very exciting. Great location, dogs allowed, food/drinks/coffee, exciting product. Very cool group of Engineers.

Cons

We just lost our CEO Jay Adelson, so it's a little rudderless. But they are close to selecting the next one, so things are looking up.

Advice to Management

Get a leader on board please.

7. "After 2 years of work and many options earned. I left digg unwilling to commit money to buy those options."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Good talent with lots of great ideas floating around. Office atmosphere pleasant with many comforts. Great compensation package. Medical, dental, and vision coverage top noche.

Cons

Many good ideas not recognized or pursued. Very non-committal senior managers - constant wavering in decisions that are made. Middle managers petty, territorial, blame-shifting and status quo.

Advice to Management

Stick to your guns when shipping a feature. Diggbar is obvious unneeded pullback. Be more open and honest with how thing operate - including open discussion with community about "Terms of Use" violations that everything is labeled with when convenient.

8. "Ingenieur"

Former Employee - Ingenieur in Laax (Switzerland)
    Former Employee - Ingenieur in Laax (Switzerland)

I worked at Digg full-time (More than a year)

(Translated from English)

Pros

Großartiges Team und harte technische Aufgaben. Eine Menge Raum für persönlichen Einfluss. Das Umfeld war schnelllebig und es gab eine faire Work-Life-Balance.

Cons

Obwohl es eine Führung gab, fehlte es bei der Geschäftsleitung an einer sehr klaren Sicht. Eine Menge Konkurrenz durch Twitter und Facebook, die jedem Sorgen bereiteten.

Advice to Management

Nicht mehr anwendbar