Dimensional Innovations Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Tucker Trotter

1. Featured Review

"A great place overall"

I have been working at Dimensional Innovations full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people, Relaxed studio environment, Growing quickly, A ton of variety day to day.

Cons

Communication can be a challenge, some inconsistent policies. Benefits are fairly expensive.

Advice to Management

Connect, Engage and Define

Feb 9, 2017 – CEO

Thank you for the feedback. I couldn’t agree more about having great people here at DI! Yes, communication has been a challenge for us, and is something that we are continually working to improve. If ... More

2. "Prospect and Opportunity"

I worked at Dimensional Innovations full-time

Pros

Good Prospect and Development Opportunity

Cons

Financial not very stable. Without 100% vest with 401K contribution.

Advice to Management

N/A

Feb 9, 2017 – CEO

Thanks for your review. Our 401K doesn’t have a direct connection to our financial stability, however three years to reach 100% vested is two years better than what would be considered the industry ... More

3. "Environment for high achievers to excel"

Current Employee - Sales and Marketing in Overland Park, KS
    Current Employee - Sales and Marketing in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at Dimensional Innovations full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Hard work is rewarded. Fun atmosphere. Every day is different. Everyone is a critical member of the team. Pleasant office atmosphere that is always improving. Leadership are always willing to listen.

Cons

Can be too fast paces or too entrepreneurial for some. The Team is growing so quick that it is a challenge to get to know everyone.

Advice to Management

Continue sharing your vision for the future and over-communicate your goals for the company.

Feb 9, 2017 – CEO

Thank you for the positive feedback. We know that with a rapidly growing team it is a challenge to get to know everyone, which is why we’re increasing the frequency of our newsletter, adding weekly ... More

5. "Lucky to work here!"

Pros

If you want to work for an exciting, fast-paced, growing, and innovative company in the Midwest - this is it. Step inside our office and you’ll be immediately won over. We combine top-notch design, skilled craftsmanship, and mind-blowing and brand new technology all under one roof to provide our clients with exceptional experiences. Oh, and our client list? Well that ranges from the Minnesota Vikings, Denver Nuggets, The University of Michigan, the Kansas City Royals, KU, K-State, The University of Iowa Children’s Hospital, Caterpillar, BIG10, MLB, AMC, Cinemark, Sprint, Hy-Vee, Cerner and The University of North Carolina - just to name a few. All of this on top of a company that values its employees. Your opinions are heard and matter - and there’s room to grow. Hard work is appreciated through profit-sharing, free lunch Fridays, company parties, and heartfelt thank yous. Plus, it’s just plain fun. Is there any other office that you can walk through and see a dinosaur, a massive hockey helmet, Vikings uniforms and OLED screens all in one day? Creativity and innovation are celebrated here - and we plan to keep it that way.

Cons

We're growing fast, and like any company that expands quickly, we're experiencing some growing pains. The management team is working quickly to solve problems in a transparent way. And you'd rather work for a growing company instead of a stagnant or declining company anyway, right?

Feb 9, 2017 – CEO

Thank you for the positive feedback. We’re happy that you’re a part of our growing team, and having fun along the way!

6. "Really DI?"

Current Employee - Designer in Overland Park, KS
    Current Employee - Designer in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at Dimensional Innovations full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The reviews below seem to be the EXACT words of the HR and Hiring committee. Take it from a current employee, they tell us fairly regularly that the company is experiencing "Growing Pains" (their words). So to see those come out in a review is a little questionable.

Cons

Stick to numbers and the realities of the job. You may be brought on as an interior designer and sold on the "big projects" but when it all comes down to it, you are an underpaid middleman breaking your back to appease the sales team who has promised the undeliverable and you are trying clean up their messes. At DI, you will be sold on really cool projects, but in reality, you will be paid industry lows and actually be working on "Making Handi-Capped Crapper Signs for Movie theaters" (to quote sales). Advice to future employees - KNOW WHAT YOU ARE WORTH and don't budge from it. DI will try sell you on their "Free Beer" in the lobby, or their cool projects, but they focus on those things because their pay and benefit packages are severely lacking. If you are new to your industry, it is a cool place to start, but it is not a place to build a career. DI is a Geo Metro with a really nice sound system and expensive wheels, you can ride around and be as cool as you want to be, but at the end of the day you are driving a Geo Metro. The company mentions cool projects, Nascar Tracks, Stadiums, Professional Sports ect. . . . You would like you get to attend some cool events. . . . and you do, if you are in the "Boys Club" called Sales and Project Managers. So while you give 80 hours + a week to make the Vikings Stadium a monument, don't expect to ever be given any opportunity to see your work in action. Very very very rarely does anyone (except sales and Project Managers) get to go onsite to any client locations past installation.

Advice to Management

Pay more, Stop killing your workforce in order to make Sales people and project managers happy. DI use to be a family company, as in you felt like the entire workforce was your big extended family. Now it feels like the DI consists of the important people and everyone else. There use to be pride that went into the hash tag #weareDI now it should be more like #weareFacelessEmployees.

Feb 9, 2017 – CEO

Ouch. Your review cuts pretty deep, and I take it very seriously. I’m sorry you feel this way and would like to invite you to speak with me personally about your concerns and how we can work together ... More

"Not what it appears to be"

Former Employee - Project Engineer
    Former Employee - Project Engineer

I worked at Dimensional Innovations (More than 3 years)

Pros

None, this place sucks if you're a minority

Cons

It starts from the top. Inequality

Advice to Management

Treat everyone equal, especially minorities.

Feb 9, 2017 – CEO

I’m really sorry to hear that you had a negative experience at DI. We strive to treat everyone equally and respectfully. We all play an important role, and need to collaborate as a team of equals to ... More

"Design Engineer"

Current Employee - Design Engineer
    Current Employee - Design Engineer

I have been working at Dimensional Innovations full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Cool projects, relaxed atmosphere, and good people.

Cons

Tons of overtime, minimal pay, and high turnover.

Feb 9, 2017 – CEO

First of all, I’m sorry for the delayed response to your review. But I appreciate your feedback. I’m glad to hear that you enjoy the cool projects and the good people at DI! We’ll continue to look ... More

9. "No Work-Life Balance--No Background Checks--Stuffy Mgmt"

Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Overland Park, KS
    Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Overland Park, KS

I worked at Dimensional Innovations full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

DI has a really great space. The work place is super nice and a unique concept. Office supplies are provided and the location is right off the high way so easily accessible.

Cons

I was not given the proper training to succeed. I was hired and then basically left in the dark about the job that needed done. The on-boarding here is terrible. There is no work-life balance at this place and only 3 vacation days per year. The atmosphere is stressful and stuffy. If you are experienced, you will definitely get more money--and have more fun--working elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Stop calling contact meetings--aka gossip sessions--start training. Put people in Management who actually are a part of the designs. Start doing background checks instead of just a drug screening. Realize that a work-life balance is healthy and might help spur even more creativity.

Feb 9, 2017 – CEO

I’m sorry for the very delayed response. And I’m sorry about your experience working at DI. We have, and continue to work on ways to improve our onboarding process so that everyone feels set up to ... More

"Account Advocate"

Pros

I was a part of Shield (a break off company from DI) and I had a very good experience. The people at Shield and DI are both very supportive and kind. Both companies are forward thinking, and expanding the possibilities of what can be done within the industry. I learned a lot in my time there. Working in a growing company also means getting a vast variety of experience and learning quickly. At DI, the building is very modern and up-to-date, which makes for an exciting environment. Both Shield and DI have fun traditions (like Waffle Wednesday and Free Lunch Friday), that make working a bit more fun. :)

Cons

If you care about design and innovation, you will love working at DI/Shield.

"Design Department Overview"

Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Dimensional Innovations full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very friendly people who collaboratively produce outstanding work. Great environment with lots of activity and never a dull day. Management is very present and it is easy to work with other people from different backgrounds. Not much bad to say out this great company!

Cons

With the amount of influx the company sees at times anyone new or in need of training may be put on the back burner...over time things are learned and picked up, but streamlining this process would aid the company as a whole seamlessly working machine.

Advice to Management

DI is growing, which is an awesome thing, just make sure that there is enough HR and management staff to accommodate the needs of any and all new folks that join the team.