Emma Reviews | Glassdoor

Emma Reviews

Updated Sep 4, 2019

3.6
Emma CEO 	Clint Smith (no image)
Clint Smith
Pros
  • "culture, benefits, plenty of pto, weekly staff lunches, staff gatherings on- and off-site(in 6 reviews)

• "Promoting internally is done whenever possible, and you cannot beat the work-life balance(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "from customers, and very rarely are customers' sentiments shared with upper management(in 4 reviews)

• "(in 3 reviews)

1. "Technical Support Specialist"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

Pros

Cons

lack of professional development and advancement

Emma2019-01-24
  2. "An exciting time to be part of Emma."

Current Employee - Technical Support Specialist

I have been working at Emma full-time for more than a year

Pros

Culture is alive and bustling. Internal promotions are encouraged. Good salary and benefits. Lots of growth on the horizon.

Cons

Growing pains from the acquisition by Campaign Monitor. I started after the acquisition, but there was apparently a massive culture shift that led to massive employee churn and a kick to morale.

Emma2019-09-04

"Now part of Campaign Monitor"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Emma full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Some interesting technical challenges. Decent office and company culture. Some talented engineers.

Cons

Heavy turnover, growing pains, lack of focus, questionable management.

Emma2019-03-07
  4. "good"

I have been working at Emma

Pros

good company in every thing

Cons

salary is not that much

Emma2019-01-23
  5. "Emma has been so good to me!"

I have been working at Emma full-time

Pros

I am so grateful for the opportunity I've had at Emma. I've been able to grow my career and work with some of the absolute best people in Nashville. Promoting internally is done whenever possible, and you cannot beat the work-life balance.

Cons

There is definitely a shift in culture after the merger & acquisition with Campaign Monitor, but the way I see it is, you can't have a huge, successful, global company AND the same start-up, close-knit feel. Individual teams are responsible for creating their own culture more than ever before.

Emma2018-12-04
  6. "Great place to work"

I worked at Emma full-time

Pros

All the people were great to work with at Emma.

Cons

Given the size of the company, it took time to change strategic direction.

Emma2018-11-15
  7. "Not the same Emma"

Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in Nashville, TN

I worked at Emma full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great office location and benefits are pretty good. Lunch provided once a week.

Cons

Ever-changing direction in product made it hard to gain momentum.

Advice to Management

Prioritize people and the talented people may stick around longer.

Emma2018-11-14

"Winds of Change"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I worked at Emma full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Free Coffee and Beer, Decent compensation, Open work-space, awesome people.

Cons

Micromanagement of time, Big Brother feel

Advice to Management

Don't worry so much about how the work is getting done. If it is getting done, then don't try to fix what isn't broken.

Emma2018-06-04

"Not what I signed up for"

Current Employee - Client Support Specialist in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Emma full-time for more than a year

Pros

Benefits, pay and work/life balance are pretty good; Pretty laid back environment.

Cons

I was flat-out lied to about several things in the interview process about something things that were very important to me. They mention "merit based" raises, a proper path of advancement/ support and a management team that cares for people. There are absolutely no raises, ever, despite being the number one individual on the team (in terms of closed cases). I was told by another manager that raises are not a... thing and they are working on getting that corrected (but I won't hold my breath). There is no proper path of advancement or support in your day to day role, or when applying to other roles inside the support realm. They have demonstrated this time and time again by failing to hire qualified candidates and shrugging off the advancement request. The biggest (and most frustrating) point is a lack of appreciation or caring from the senior support manager. They like to say they appreciate the work we do, but they do not EVER show that to be the case. It's disheartening to be treated like a child daily after coming in and busting your butt. Support misses the mark on what they sell people on.

Advice to Management

Communicate more often and with more truth, because what you are doing currently doesn't work and isn't true.

Emma2018-05-09

"Dead. Stay away."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Emma full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Still one of the most successful product/tech companies in Nashville, but that’s all in the past. All the appropriate benefits are in place: fair pay, good health coverage, retirement options, decent PTO, flexible hours.

Cons

Emma was once the brightest beacon in the Nashville tech scene, and arguably *the* best place to work. From 2015–2017, the company shifted hard toward aggressive sales and revenue growth (to position the company for acquisition) without backing it up with real product changes; all smoke and mirrors. Morale suffered, employee churn skyrocketed, and the culture that once defined Emma began to slowly decay. Six months... after acquisition, that culture is now effectively nonexistent. Campaign Monitor (who bought Emma) is a great company, but they’re just a puppet on the investors’ strings. At this point, Nashville’s tech darling is completely dead.

Advice to Management

Communicate. It really is that simple. People just want to know what’s going on.

Emma2018-05-02