Toastmasters International - Exceptionally Toxic | Glassdoor

"Exceptionally Toxic"

I worked at Toastmasters International full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The non-management coworkers are some of the nicest, most dedicated, and hard-working people I know. Very diverse, all people from all walks of life are welcome. Membership to Toastmasters clubs is covered by the company and is a really, really good perk.

Cons

The management here is very toxic. The focus from them is finding out WHO did something wrong, and not about figuring out the problem in a productive way so that it can be avoided in the future. Experts and developers are never consulted in the deadlines for projects, so unrealistic deadlines are frequently made, and then the programmers and project management are blamed if there are issues. There is also a lot of fear of direct communication. If someone in management has something to say, they will typically go through a proxy. I've even been gaslit a few times due to this behavioral pattern. If you are a woman, then you typically get slotted into a "problem" category in their minds if you are outspoken or willing to fight to do the right thing. This environment is also very alienating, where you are constantly unsure where you stand in the grand scheme of things. Resource management is also a huge issue, where entire teams will be given nothing to do, have their suggestions and improvements fought over endlessly in behind the door politics and fear. Appearing to be doing work is more valued than actually getting any work done. If you have depression, STAY AWAY AT ALL COSTS. Due to the pressure, blame, and general toxicity, I attempted to take my life. It was dumb, but no work environment should ever leave someone feeling so broken that suicide seems like the only way out.

Advice to Management

Self-improvement does not make one better than others, nor does it give a more legitimate point of view.

Toastmasters International2019-03-27

Other Employee Reviews

1. "Great"

Current Employee - Consultative Sales Consultant - Electronics

I have been working at Toastmasters International full-time

Pros

Great environment and work place

Cons

There are not any cons working here

Toastmasters International2020-01-24
  2. "Great training to participate in"

Current Intern - Participant

I have been working at Toastmasters International

Pros

Helps with public speaking skills

Cons

Very time consuming to attend and prepare for meetings.

Toastmasters International2020-01-22

Discover more reviews about Toastmasters International.