Findaway World Reviews | Glassdoor

Mitch Kroll

""Findaway, Baby!""

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Solon, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Solon, OH

Pros

Findaway has great energy, extraordinary core values, trustworthy and wise CEO, and a 'family first' frame of mind.

Cons

Some managers should not be managers. It is okay to allow great employees to continue being great employees without forcing them to manage other people. Especially when that is not their strong suit.

2. "One Giant Family"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairview Park, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairview Park, OH

I worked at Findaway World (More than a year)

Pros

Findaway is a great place overall and hugs you from the moment you start. Literally, the place is like one giant family with open arms. The onboarding process is the best I've ever experienced. Super family oriented and flexible—not something you get at most workplaces.

Cons

Unfortunately, there is a bit of drama that lurks within the company. An overall absence of knowledge in individuals daily tasks and lack of respect for the "underdogs" leaves a bad taste.

Advice to Management

Your busy bee workers are just as important as your managers! Champion and treat everyone with equal respect and let them know their value constantly.

"Once great, but has slipped"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Solon, OH

Pros

They strike a reasonable work life balance. If you need to be away from the office for something related to home you are free to do so without many repercussions. The people are generally friendly and easy to work with.

Cons

The company seems to have lost its focus and divided into two, while trying to retain a perception of being one. It was built on a successful audiobook device, Playaway, and has now branched into mobile and web based delivery of audiobooks. The branching out has lead to a division in the company and created challenges for maintaining focus on what is important for success. The company culture is often talked about as a strong selling point, but in reality it is being undermined by the split and there seem to be factions growing inside. There are very few opportunities for growth in a career.

Advice to Management

Consider formally splitting the company into two and bringing in outside investors/management to get a fresh look. Be careful about driving people away because of the segmentation that has been created in the company. Give your employees a real voice. Many of them are intelligent, but you need to listen more carefully and value their opinions.

"Findaway World, makers of the Playaway"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Solon, OH

Pros

A decent work environment for young, entry-level talent looking for a flexible and relaxed work environment, good benefits and tech startup "feel". For the region (Northeast Ohio), Findaway is a rare company that has found and capitalized on a niche market with an innovative, but simple, product that satisfies a real need - distributing audio entertainment and educational content to users that do not have access to down-loadable channels of content.

Cons

A company of two cultures, and a set of core values that are not practiced in any real way. For production staff or entry-level professional staff, it is a great environment in which to learn and have an impact on the company. For mid to upper level management, strategic leadership, personal development, open communication and high-performance accountability are seriously lacking.

Advice to Management

If you are looking for a reasonably well-paying role in a company that won't require too much from you, will allow you a flexible schedule, and provide top-notch benefits, this is a great place to work. If you buy into and expect a highly-competitive, open and innovative culture, you'll be disappointed.

5. "Amazing culture"

I worked at Findaway World full-time

Pros

Great culture, friendly people, work felt meaningful

Cons

Starting pay isn't superb for what you're doing, but they definitely reward those who work hard.

6. "Where are they going?"

I worked at Findaway World full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun, exciting and fast paced culture. Good benefits for a small company. Good people and fun events.

Cons

Very political for small company; management is untrained and some in their roles are lacking in experience. Customer focus lacking. Low salaries.

Advice to Management

Need to focus on developing employees, split core and new development of company and not play them against each other. Compensation low for experienced and skilled workers. Lack knowledge of certain markets. Customer focus has become lacking.

7. "Marketing"

I worked at Findaway World full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Dress code - shorts OK; there are many nice people; free access to content - so many wonderful stories to embrace; flex schedule is nice. nice place to work if you don't need too much money.

Cons

Dress code - flip flops should not be allowed; Empowerment is more words than action - taking people at their word can be troublesome. low pay; They are very political for a small company.

Advice to Management

It is ok to have hard conversations with people but it is unfair to ask people to achieve great results but not support them when agreed to changes don't happen thus laying blame in all the wrong places.

8. "Great place to work!"

Pros

I enjoy going to work everyday - my colleagues are talented, bright, motivated, dedicated people who want to do good work. It's different from other environments I've been in, and very refreshing. They listen to employees needs and do their best to make Findaway a best place to work!

Cons

Not really that many cons

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to your employees - we will let you know what we need to be successful

"Lacking strategy."

Pros

I met some great friends at Findaway and was there during a special time in the company's early history, from its transition from a true start-up to a larger, departmentalized organization. At that stage in my career, I felt like I was able to grow with the company and go through some of the bigger transitions with ease since I was not closer to the political issues and strategic disagreements that seemed to plague sr. management. I also had a great manager and felt like I was afforded career growth and opportunities, but I know many did not have the same types of opportunities as me. At the time I felt like the benefits were very good, but I understand that the benefits and bonuses keep getting whittled away as the company's revenues keep dropping.

Cons

At the time, it was not the right environment for more strategic or experienced professionals. The company valued speed of execution over thoughtfulness or analysis, but that may have changed. While the company seems to continue to try to find new products and markets, it certainly seems like its glory days were the result of a sweet spot of a consumer trend + a niche market need that may have passed. Not sure if/how the company will find competitive footing in a market that's otherwise dominated by major players. Strategy and future vision was lacking while I was there.

The company also felt divided between departments and groups when I left. Many managers had very different styles and there's a lot of inconsistency in expectations between different groups.

Advice to Management

It's great that the culture is a priority of sr. management's, but beware of forcing employees to drink the koolaid. Let the culture emerge organically from the bottom up, not the top down.

Create a compelling and clear 5 year vision that gets your employees excited and shows that there's a strategic plan for growth and innovation.

Lead strategically instead of such a myopic focus on this month's and next months numbers.

10. "Good company"

Pros

Findaway has a Fun atmosphere. Always enjoyable to go to work.

Cons

Not really to many cons.