Fives Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Fives Chairman Executive Board Frédéric Sanchez
Frédéric Sanchez

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Some very good people who have been with the company a long time (in 3 reviews)

• Grande autonomie, Relations humaines et de proximit (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • You will not be treated like a professional there; good people don't last; they leave because of the toxic corporate culture (in 3 reviews)

• mon contrat na pas ete revu et jai du quitter la boite, sinon c'est une bonne entreprise, a voir pour les nouveaux diplomes (in 3 reviews)

1. "Reclaiming the lead in Combustion Process Solutions."

Current Employee - Controls in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Controls in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Fives full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

World leader in Combustion Solutions and System Integration. Family like atmosphere with lots of experienced team members. Unique opportunities to solve complex system solutions. Competitive benefits package and plenty of opportunity for growth.

Cons

Recovering from a recent change in CEO, but that's also a positive if you ask any current employee.

Advice to Management

Keep adapting to the current environment, focus on the process solutions brought to you by the people. Stay poised to manage the assured growth ahead!

"90’s 3star 00 2star 10 1star do the math."

Former Employee - Engineer in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Engineer in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Fives full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Salary ok benes ok people great!

Cons

Upper mgt new and inexperienced. Letting knowledge base go.

Advice to Management

New people dont know the industry like 10yr+ veterans. Dont be to proud to ask how things work when you dont know! Steve T is a moron

3. "Great Place to Work"

Former Employee - Document Control Coordinator in Concord, Lake, OH
    Former Employee - Document Control Coordinator in Concord, Lake, OH

I worked at Fives full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Friendly atmosphere, conscientious skilled workers, great place to work.

Cons

I do not have any cons.

"Manager"

Former Employee - Manager in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Manager in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Fives (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you enjoy watching a formerly great, longtime company disintegrate under micromanage from France, then this is your place.

Cons

This company had been in business for over 50+ years. Since being part of Fives it has gone downhill. Micromanaged our of France, no decision can be made without their approval and they make bad decisions. They don’t know or understand the industry or customers. Managers can’t make decisions w/o checking into France. No local control. We are losing our customer base because of French decisions and mandates. Employees, all good people, feel hopeless. Employees kept in the dark. Too much bureaucratic nonsense. Miserable. The other European locations feel the same way as US

Advice to Management

Emancipate yourself or let business go under so it can reinvent itself. I feel bad for anyone in upper management, they have to go with flow or leave.

"Last resort after last resort"

Former Employee - Design Engineer in Farmington Hills, MI
    Former Employee - Design Engineer in Farmington Hills, MI

I worked at Fives full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay. That is how they lure you in. Good place to start for engineers without any experience aka fresh form college. You will not learn a lot but you will learn how bad company looks like so you can avoid it in future. If you are 55 and over this is a perfect place to be. Average employee age is 50+ and they heavily rely on part time work from retirees. At least 50% of engineering work is outsourced.

Cons

Can get fired at any moment. If you do not get fired on Friday, you are safe for a week. Engineering managers are without any integrity. HR decides who gets fired and who stays, managers have no saying on it. Employees are not friendly, act very nervous and not willing to help. Job is half done and machines are shipped to the customer without testing them first. Fixes are done at customer site by Fives personnel (China or Mexico). Company uses employee badges to track their whereabouts. If your time sheet does not match with their in/out system you get fired. Of course, at first day of work, they will tell you that gates are not for monitoring when employees come and leave but for your safety. Had hard time to find a job because I had Fives as an employer on my resume. Only after I removed it from resume was able to find a job. Maybe coincident maybe not. This was per friendly advice from one potential employer. After I found new job I just left Fives. My advice, avoid placing Fives as your employer on resume.

Advice to Management

Retire. That is the best you can do for the company to survive.

6. "Great company for experience"

Current Employee - Controls Engineer
    Current Employee - Controls Engineer

I have been working at Fives full-time

Pros

A great variety of projects to allow you gain experience in PLC, Robotics, Vision, etcetera. Very well established in the automation industry and expanding to other areas.

Cons

Not much mentoring.
    Not much project tracking.

"Project Engineer"

Current Employee - Project Engineer in Farmington Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in Farmington Hills, MI

I have been working at Fives full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

custom project and different every time

Cons

old fashion running 20 years behind, some very bad program managers without any engineering background telling the engineers what to do!!
    I don't recommend it to anyone with an open minded, worse place so far.

Advice to Management

Treat your employee based on there knowledge, commitment to work and integrity not based on their race or ethnicity

8. "Great Company!"

I have been working at Fives full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great Place to work if your loyal and a hard worker, you will not have any problems progressing in this company.

Cons

normal growing pains for a company that is always evolving.

"Run Away!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hagerstown, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hagerstown, MD

I worked at Fives full-time

Pros

I can't think of a single positive thing to say about this toxic organization. Just say no and keep looking.

Cons

Clueless, indifferent upper management. Petty, inflexible rules are rigidly enforced. Bullying, rudeness and incivility are common place. No work life balance; salaried employees must work 9 hour days and are pressured to work more.You will not be treated like a professional there; good people don't last; they leave because of the toxic corporate culture. Overall, lots of unhappy people working in an unpleasant, unprofessional environment. Don't join their ranks!

"controller engineer"

I worked at Fives full-time

Pros

Excellent understanding and helpful leaders

Cons

Assigned with engineers of the same job title to learn from them without preparing