GC Micro Reviews | Glassdoor

Belinda Guadarrama

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Account Manager"

I have been working at GC Micro full-time

Pros

Focus on teamwork, customer service and most importantly, value.

Cons

Telecommuting would be nice, and shift flexibility.

Advice to Management

Consider looking into the things on my con list. It would be terrific to have the flexibility.

"Bad Bad Bad place to work, trust me!"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Petaluma, CA

I worked at GC Micro full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good training to make the kool-aid look appetizing. Plus if they fire you, which happens often, they will give you "keep quiet" money.

Cons

So many to list. I've been working for many years and I've never worked at a place like GC MIcro. This place is a cult. Do not believe anything that's given 3 or more stars. They literally have their employees go to sites like this and make positive posts in order to attract new cult members. There's no medical, no 401k, and very low pay. The president also has the messiest office I've ever seen. Be smart, and stay clear of this place!

Advice to Management

Stop forcing your employees to work 10 hour days

"Account Manager"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Petaluma, CA

I worked at GC Micro full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You can make a lot of money working from Monday through Friday, 8-5pm. They have an incredible training program. Awesome management, talented co-workers. Oh and a work out facility too.

Cons

You will earn every dollar you make. This is an excellent opportunity but it isn't for everyone.

4. "Not a good career path- Be aware."

Former Employee - Account Manager in Petaluma, CA

I worked at GC Micro full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Training is fairly well done. That's where it ends.

Cons

No healthcare of any value. No benefits or 401k. No retirement.
    No team spirit. No real support.

Just not a fun place to work, at all. The gym has three machines. Have fun.

"GC Micro? More like MicroMANAGING and Scripts"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Petaluma, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Petaluma, CA

Pros

You will know what kind of company you do NOT want to work for after getting hired by GC Micro, and they pay? Honestly not much good to say here.

Cons

2+ Months of Training
    Memorizing script after script after script...after script
    The CEO is very rude, full of herself, and a bit scary
    Only the main account managers get the good leads, otherwise your just their assistant doing the ground work for them
    Employees are always scared for their job
    Constant micro managing, its not just the name it's their practice

"Great Training, Better People"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in East Petaluma, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in East Petaluma, CA

I worked at GC Micro full-time

Pros

Fantastic stepping stone company for most, and a great career for the few. The people on the sales floor are genuinely good people, and I made a lot of great friends there. Potlucks are great. There is a makeshift gym that is open for use on free time.

Cons

Its hard to say anything bad about this place, but here is my truth:
    There is only room for about 6-8 account managers to truly be successful. If you get there at the right time and the cards fall into place for you then congratulations, you're going to be alright. If not, then at least you will get some great training and meet some great people.
    You will figure out who the top people are really quickly, so if one of the top folks aren't leaving the company with you next in line for that spot, then time to re-evaluate.
    Very basic health benefits, no retirement plan, no perks, and not one minute of your daily schedule is flexible.

Advice to Management

Focus on your great account managers and hire only supporting staff with some kind of bonus program for the admin and sales associates that are part of the winning team. Trim the rest of the fat.
    All those low value peripheral accounts you hand off to 95% of new managers could easily be handled by the top 6-8 managers with supporting associates. Save the headache of hiring, firing, and losing great potential by consolidating under your top brass and paying the winning sales associates a piece of the pie to keep them around long term and HAPPY.

"Account Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rohnert Park, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rohnert Park, CA

I worked at GC Micro full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Amazing sales training program. Really gets you pumped up to work for them. Can be very profitable with some big time commissions if you have the chops. They hire great people with integrity. Fun bunch to work with. Get lots of free lunches and parties for company goals being achieved.

Cons

Be prepared to open up your own accounts. If you are lucky you will get put on a specific "profitable" Account Team. You must be able to open accounts and be one heck of a negotiator and closer because it takes time to build up pipeline there. The commission plan is tricky and easy to miss the bonus qualifiers.

Advice to Management

You have a very small management team and nobody can make an actual decision except the President/Owner. This slows business down. At some point things need to be delegated better. There is no advancement just bigger paychecks. Work on getting more infrastructure so the Sales Reps. don't have to actually do everything. I.e. Vendor Manager and more technical people on staff would be a good start.

"They wanted me to give a commitment and I did. Then at exactly 3 months... I was not a "good fit"."

Pros

Truly Quality Training Program. Learned a lot that I can take with me personally and now know where to look and who to look for, as far as personal growth material.

Cons

The name GC Micro is fitting. Cause they truly micro manage the crap out of you. Do not shy away from the script. They hire you for your personality and talents and then quickly let you know that they mean nothing. I worked for exactly 3 months, I did everything they asked of me, and did it well. I took what work they would allow me to home so that I could be the best I could. I memorized the material quicker than anyone I was training with. I gave more to this job than any job prior, I was learning everyday and studying everyday, and then... They let me go. I begged for an answer as to why, for something I could learn from or at least to share with my family. But it was done. I was never given a chance to sell anything.

"Nurturing Environment, Great Training, and a Fun Place to Work"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Petaluma, CA

I have been working at GC Micro full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I'll start with what you walk in to, an amazing training program. They teach you everything you need to be able to succeed at the job you've been hired for. Negotiation tactics, closing techniques, and scripts to make sure you don't blank on a call. The training is nicely structured and you get to actually use the skills you're taught right away, so they don't just go in one ear and out the other.

Once you finish training and hit the floor, you enter into an extremely supportive and nurturing environment. Everyone on the team wants you to succeed and will do whatever they can to help. No one has to do this alone, there are many people around you to help guide you along the way.

Finally, the pay. Commission sales can be very lucrative, but it's also scary for some people - especially those who have never done it before. Don't be. If you are confident in your abilities and can follow the advice of the rest of the staff, you'll do fine.

Cons

My only gripe is that I'm not able to take lunch whenever I want. The set lunch hour is from 12-1.

Advice to Management

Great job with the training and setting a good path for people to follow.

"Salespeople make good money."

Current Employee - Account Manager in Petaluma, CA

I have been working at GC Micro full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I'm on the phone all the time. Half of time I'm making cold calls and the rest I'm taking orders from my existing clients. If you like to talk and treat your customers like they are your friends, then you should do fine here. However, it takes a while to build up my customer base. So being patience helps. Health insurance is standard stuff. I'm in my early 30's and I rarely go see a doctor.

Cons

Like I said, I'm on the phone all the time. I don't have time to fill out sales orders.