GLL Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
GLL Managing Director Mark Sesnan
Mark Sesnan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Flexible work hours, good pay, at the right centres a very laid back and friendly atmosphere (in 5 reviews)

• Fantastic values and great people working there (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Have more full time opportunities rather then part-time (in 5 reviews)

• lack of training even though they say your start is dependent on a training course which to this date i still have not attended (in 3 reviews)

1. "Good well-paid part-time job"

Current Employee - Casual Leisure Attendant - Lifeguard in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Casual Leisure Attendant - Lifeguard in London, England (UK)

I have been working at GLL part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-better per-hour rate than the 'posher' leisure centres.
    -nice people
    -free use of facilities at your centre
    -relaxed environment
    -active job; good for busy bee people

Cons

-cleaning jobs
    -higher managers can be a bit 'stuck in the clouds', petty and negative towards lower status staff. This pettiness can easily be ignored though since higher managers are hardly around on a daily basis and don't even say anything directly to you anyway. It all comes from hear-say (ie. X said we're lazy because we don't empty every single bin every night.)
    -although an active job is good, it can be a but much after a few days.

Advice to Management

-remember what it was like when you were a lifeguard and don't be so petty about little things.
    -Remember the feedback burger: say something positive, add constructive feedback and finish with optimism. We are not going to respect you if you just call your workforce lazy and don't give thanks when it's due.
    -say hello to ALL staff at the centres you cover (aimed at area managers here). It's nice to know who is nit-picking at us.

2. "sales sales sales (customer, staff relationship dead)"

Current Employee - Deputy Manager in Carlisle, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Deputy Manager in Carlisle, England (UK)

I have been working at GLL full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A big company with plenty of opertunity to move around the country.
    The holiday pay is good, as is the sick pay

Cons

Upper management lack knowledge of sites.
    staffing levels are not adiquet.
    Job interviews are on a who you know basis

Advice to Management

During a merger (takeover) lying to staff about things such as "we're not a company who cold call" etc is not a good start.
    you took a company that really cared for there staff and customers and implimenting a very robotic approach to customer service that has dented customer/staff relations and this has not gone Un noticed.

Rediculouse targets that are no where near achievable in areas that "London" know absolutely nothing about and are already causing gyms to be overcrowded and uncomfortable and staff under unnecessary pressure to hit targets they never will.

unrealistic budgets that restrict any spending on items that NEED replaced repaired to give the customers a brilliant experience.

staffing levels are shocking!!!!! everyone is always clutching at other sites to try and pull people across as no one has enough staff.

as far as a northern hub go's, their isnt one!! Would it not be smart Mr S to intrust in someone who knows these sites to have a bit more of an influence on how they run instead of a few boys from London telling people how to run an area they know nothing about.

My time is nearly done with GLL but I bid you good look

3. "Assistant manager"

I have been working at GLL full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexibility and progression are good.

Cons

No benefits for working overtime

Advice to Management

Review staff benfits

4. "Casual Staff"

I have been working at GLL part-time

Pros

Flexible Work for anyone.
    Great people to work with.

Cons

You have to look for hours to work.
    NO Hours... No Salary

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

5. "Working for a Social Enterprise"

I have been working at GLL full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Being part of a Social Enterprise Company that really does give back to the community in so many ways.

Cons

Not all staff understand what being part of a Social Enterprise means

Advice to Management

Managers need to ensure that al staff understand what it means to be part of a Not for profit Social Enterprise

Apr 3, 2017 – Employer Brand Manager

It's great that you're recognising this and we're definitely planning to push this message more internally this year. Thank you for your feedback.

"Depends! Too many variables. No consistency."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Pros

I started with GLL almost 8 years ago as a centre based member of staff and have since progressed into middle management within head office. I have worked with some great people over time, unfortunately many have left. A job for life is there if you commit to the company, however the unfortunately this leaves a lot of deadwood, some in senior positions. However to contradict this somewhat, some senior management are very progressive and innovative, yet seem to get held back by the rest of the company.

Cons

Clear ways of management - the company has too many Chiefs and not enough Indians. Like to layer in management when not required (both centrally at Head Office and operationally in centres). Roles and responsibilities of management often blurred - accountability of actions is therefore questionable, often easy to get away with producing very little.
    Some of the above can be attributed to not having the technological resource in place, I think the majority of the senior team are IT illiterate.
    Communication is always a problem, HR bring it up every year in various workshops-never improves. Even the implementation of an intranet (10 years too late!) was a joke and is never used by staff.
    Communication not helped by the way central teams are structured - departments often working in isolation as departmental reporting lines are all over the place.
    Staff training is not good enough for a large company. Front line staff not supported enough, middle management not supported at all.
    Promotion and/or pay often dependent on who you know not what actually you are able to achieve.
    IT systems are slow and hinder work output, has clearly been an issue for years and never seems to progress.

Advice to Management

The company are at a cross roads as have grown significantly in the past couple of years, however working practices have in the majority stayed somewhere in the middle of the 1990s. In my opinion a big shake up of the senior team is required, but I doubt this will happen as they are all part of the 'boys' club. If things continue as they are the company will continue to not to win contracts being bid for and will start to lose various profit making contracts to the likes of SLM.

"Good Casual Work"

Current Employee - Lifeguard in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Lifeguard in London, England (UK)

I have been working at GLL part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible work is great as a student.
    Decent monthly lifeguard training.
    Easy to transfer to other leisure centres within the company.
    Promotion in company can happen fast***

Cons

Poor management particularly with planning and communication - many managers are inexperienced because they are promoted too quickly and not prepared for their roles.
    The company has mis-matched values when handling customers, Im not sure if customers satisfaction is a priority.
    Their is not much staff cohesion between different roles (us and them attitude)

Advice to Management

introduce a better training programme for your managers, so they can get the basics right and do a better job.

Mar 22, 2017 – Employer Brand Manager

We're really pleased that you're enjoying your role as a lifeguard with us and recognise the training and promotion opportunities that we offer. Last year we launched a brand new Managers Academy... More

"Could be better, could be worse."

Current Employee - England in Faringdon, England (UK)
    Current Employee - England in Faringdon, England (UK)

I have been working at GLL part-time

Pros

- Friendly coworkers.
    - Some duty manager staff is helpful, organised and responsible.
    - Friendly working atmosphere.

Cons

The company is cursed with terrible communication between every member of staff, from high ranking bosses to part-time cleaners. This is the source of many problems and stresses. Another plague is poor budget distribution; necessary equipment that needs to be replaced (most of it beyond repair) is brought up with management for tens of months and when they come around to it, wrong or inappropriate equipment is provided even though many lists detailing the exact requirements have been provided by staff. The price of an event organised every week has almost doubled with no visible improvement to either staff, equipment or customer experience. This leaves questions as to where all this money goes since the staff is payed minimum wage and the building is in deterioration.

Advice to Management

Talk to your staff. Inform them of what is going on and double check your sources. Rethink where the sales money goes and consider investing in events that provide most income.

9. "Try Better"

Pros

Flexible
    Get to travel various sites
    Work with all level of staff
    Work Environment

Cons

Lack of proper training
    Salary and management

Advice to Management

Provide more training

Mar 21, 2017 – Employer Brand Manager

It's good to hear that you're enjoying your work environment. We are concerned that you don't feel you've had proper training though. We pride ourselves on the training and development opportunities... More

"Depends who you work with"

Current Employee - Customer Service Assistant (Receptionist) in London, England (UK)

I have been working at GLL full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great relationship between employees (centre dependant)

Develop relationships with customers

Fair Rota scheduling

No unnecessary nit picking as long as the work is done

Cons

Outreach

Pressure on sales

Can get a little on top during busy periods

Short lunch break

Can be working under Managers who dont have a clue

Really early starts on some days in the week

Advice to Management

Ease up on the amount of outreach.

Get an adequate amount of staff in to help work flow before asking for sales updates

Employ competent Management