GSTV Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.1
David Leider

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Former Employee Reviews = Retaliation and Back Stabbing...Here is the truth from someone here."

I have been working at GSTV full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company: Benefits, Flexibility, Culture, Family like environment, Support, Opportunities to Learn, New Technologies. This company allowed me to build on a resume that I hope I never need to use! I have personally experienced growth and advancement. I have watched others grow into leadership roles and advance into higher titles.

Technology Team:
    • Imagine a tech team where everyone works together to estimate and score.
    • Imagine Quality, Design, Architecture having owners, but others are involved and listen to.
    • Imagine a team that is continuously on Slack Channels, Hangout Calls/Video conferences, collaborative docs, sheets, and wikis together
    • Imagine a team where pair programming, team swarming with the person that has the most risk or pressure, and cross knowledge sharing happens on a daily basis
    • Image a place where the process is owned by the team. Daily Stand Ups focus on only what is important. Retrospectives actually produce improvements. Handoffs are conversations and happen as soon as possible and do not wait for a scheduled meeting.
    • Imagine a place where having a bad day, means others care enough to notice and do what they can to help. No one throws something across the wall
    • Imagine a place where new technology is embraced and you can be part of discovery and proof of concepts to see if they are a fit

If you can imagine these, then you are imagining the Technology team @ GSTV

Cons

Must be willing to do the work, Must be able to work with other, Must be able to think beyond the norm. (Oh wait these are only cons if you can't).

My biggest complaint is that some people are still holding to the small company mentality. It is slowly changing, but I wish it was faster.
    • Information hording
    •• Fear of sharing too much to fast
    •• Not wanting to get too many people involved
    • Teams are heavily focused in their own work
    •• As company grows people are swamped and do not have a lot of time to learn how what they do affects others further down the pipe

Advice to Management

To CTO: Continue to listen and grow your employees. Share and trust just a little more in regards to information.

2. "Low pay compared to many other jobs today. Management doesn't understand software concepts beyond the basics."

Former Employee - Web Developer in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Web Developer in Detroit, MI

I worked at GSTV full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Remote position. Great Family Of Companies benefits. Some great coworkers. Mobile phone cost compensation. G Suite for many services other than email.

Cons

In a hurry. Not aware of long standing approaches to building quality software. Adverse to the Cloud. Job was treated like a contract position. No opportunity for growth. Lack of understanding of focus in work. Time management was whacky with meetings. No desire to address redundant, ridiculous tasks and problems for developers. Job title way off the mark due to a lack of tech industry understanding by the CTO. Developer laptops should not be controller the way they are. Company needs major improvement.

Advice to Management

Slow down, get a better understanding of what is being produced and how. You'll move faster in the mid-term if you do. Learn more about the tech that drives the product you offer. Educate your CTO about advanced software architectural concepts. Review how developer team leads control and motivate their team members. Embrace and support preparation in development.

3. "Great place to work"

I have been working at GSTV full-time

Pros

Culture, amazing people, tons of flexibility, always busy & endless amount of snacks

Cons

Company-wide communication could still continue to be better

"Offensively Unprofessional"

Former Employee - Senior Web Developer in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Senior Web Developer in Detroit, MI

I worked at GSTV full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I saw very few. It was a very cliquish almost high school like atmosphere. You can tell all the good reviews on here were written by HR because they all mention the same benefits. I actually really tried hard to put my best effort into GSTV but it was a very political company and they started trying to terminate me on the first day.

Cons

I was also terminated on the spot. All I did was point out to HR that employees were working 60 hours to meet unrealistic deadlines and I felt singled out for bringing that up. An hour later I got a phone call informing me it was my last day with GSTV. They seem to really enjoy firing and hiring someone new. I actually was terminated my first day because I did not like the NDA. They changed their minds after the recruiter pushed hard. 30 days later I had a single disagreement and was terminated on the spot within 2 hours. Ridiculous.

Advice to Management

"Right to work" state only gets you so far. The revolving door is disrespectful to applicants/employees and is killing forward progress.

GSTV Response

Sep 20, 2016 – HR specialist

GSTV welcomes feedback, but your description does not reflect the facts of this matter and the events that took place. If you would like to discuss your situation in more detail, please feel free to... More

"Joke of a Job"

Former Employee - Sales in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Sales in Detroit, MI

I worked at GSTV full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nothing really... It's a club type of organization. If you're not part of the clique, you won't make it long

Cons

Everything! Management is a joke with a racist approach to unethical and unprofessional business practices. People are fake and the business is expensive and only purchased by business partners that are stroking the upper management team

Advice to Management

Get a new management team asap

"Overall good experience."

Former Employee - Network Engineer in Birmingham, MI
    Former Employee - Network Engineer in Birmingham, MI

I worked at GSTV full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good work environment/location. At the time, downtown Birmingham MI. was the place to be. They have since made plans to move to downtown Detroit.

Cons

CEO and Chairman are both very difficult to work for. One doesn't know technology and the other never wants to spend money.
    Questionable business practices.

Advice to Management

Allow your employees to spend money to do their jobs.

"Former Employee"

Former Employee - Account Director
    Former Employee - Account Director

I worked at GSTV full-time

Pros

High energy management continually strives to utilize latest technology

Cons

Product lived in distant corner of DOOH space. Management failed to recognize sales cycle length in undeveloped market.

Advice to Management

Share your thoughts without relying on profanities. Be consistent. Develop a sense of intreguity.

8. "Opportunities are endless"

Current Employee - Manager in Birmingham, MI
    Current Employee - Manager in Birmingham, MI

I have been working at GSTV full-time (More than a year)

Pros

office culture, amazing co-workers, laid back dress code, tons of flexibility and room for growth

Cons

lack of company-wide communication and transparency

"It's a job."

Pros

Company is still growing and developing.

Cons

Doesn't have its act together.

Advice to Management

Get a clue.

10. "Endless Opportunity!"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Birmingham, MI
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Birmingham, MI

I have been working at GSTV full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have been with GSTV over 2 years, and can say with full confidence that I have found my forever career. Being in media sales, it is refreshing to know that I am a part of a growing medium with a company that "gets it". Great work/life balance, awesome culture, a real sales TEAM (not a call center, or people being pit against each other). Endless opportunity to grow with this company, and achieve an amazing amount of success. Be prepared to work hard, as the expectations are high - but in sales, this is definitely a PRO!

Cons

No real cons! It is a new(ish) company so upper management is growing and learning as they go along.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!