Griffith University Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

1. "Great place for some"

Pros

Great boss, good work environment, very interesting projects to work on. I would have stayed on longer if it were not for the shortage or research funding in the country.

Cons

Still some left-over of the old-boys network with the glass ceiling and all. It was time for some new leadership and fire some people that didn't play well with others.

Advice to Management

It's the 2010s, be sure to understand that having people not work with others because of who they are and not because of actual abilities has no place in our society.

2. "yes"

Pros

i liked it a lot

Cons

management was great for sure

Advice to Management

keep doing what your doing

3. "Short Full-Time Employee - 6 Months"

Pros

Diverse staff made the job very interesting on an interpersonal level

Cons

I don't have any cons from my experience.

5. "World class research"

Former Employee - Research Fellow in Brisbane (Australia)
    Former Employee - Research Fellow in Brisbane (Australia)

Pros

Absolutely fantastic job, great facilities, research is excellent, great management and colleagues

Cons

Nothing, honestly. Only left because my contract was up.

Advice to Management

You are doing a fabulous job.

6. "Griffith university can do better"

I have been working at Griffith University full-time

Pros

Griffith provided help in applying for scholarships and a few lectures were supportive in the learning process. The Nathan campuses is slowly renovating old buildings. The course material is relevant and well structured.

Cons

I was studying a Degree in IT qualification and finished with 6.6/7 GPA (so consider this review to be fare & non-biased assessment of griffith).

Most of the Nathan campus is dirty with floor & ceiling water stains, mouldy buildings and cleaners only take trash out while not cleaning rooms or toilets.
    Seems that the teaching emphasis or priorities is on the lecture’s time that is spent on academic research. Thereby minimising the interactions with students willing to ask questions and do well. Some lecturers were entirely unapproachable and unhelpful. I was not demanding (dominating the teacher’s time) or did not expect for them to do the work for me. I got the excuse that they cannot favour a single student (REALLY!).
    Most Griffith lectures do NOT publish the student grades on the student web portal during or after the course, only through the portal do you get feedback which is the final official grade. If you want to see the exam results you have to get management to force the teacher. So the student’s only feedback is the assignment grades handed back during the course, Griffith teaching processes don’t realise learning is open cycle of getting feedback to improve learning.
    Some of the courses were only available at the Gold Coast campus which is 90km away and Griffith has no problem with this setup. The student front help desk staff are not trained and thereby not knowledgeable of Griffith processes.
    I heard of someone being PHYSICALLY ASSAULTED BY STAFF and they denied it ever happened because there was no evidence and nothing was done (staff still working for Griffith). I think if Griffith fires the staff then they would legally be admitting liability (compensation payout).
    Overall, I was very disappointed and would not recommend Griffith University. The university is a business that provides an education service and I did not receive a good service for the fees I paid.

Advice to Management

Lectures should try to respond to students and give feedback. Griffith management should provide better environment and teaching polices to the lectures.

7. "Management overhaul without clarity and communication"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brisbane (Australia)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brisbane (Australia)

I worked at Griffith University full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Collaboration with some of the best minds in various industries

Cons

Lack of direction from senior management team throughout the 2+ years culture transformation and system upgrade.
    Inflexible work structure and arrangement, contrary to what was explained over interview.
    Low employee empowerment, micro management in certain departments.
    Poor staff retention resulting in heavy loss of legacy knowledge.

Advice to Management

The management overhaul needs an overhaul.

8. "Great workplace, poor management/vision"

I worked at Griffith University part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun place to work with great support and team. Good learning opportunities for entry level positions. A great place to start out and get the skills to market yourself into a career (somewhere else).

Cons

Staff have to pay to be able to park within a few kms of campus and public transport options are poor. The IT is being outsourced, so there is no career opportunities

Advice to Management

Stop playing games with leadership roles and keeping people on casual. Give the positions to the people who deserve them, and not the people in the 'boys club'.

9. "Intensive video documentaries workshop June-July 2015"

Former Employee - Instructor Video Docos in Brisbane (Australia)
    Former Employee - Instructor Video Docos in Brisbane (Australia)

Pros

I came as a guest artist to conduct an Intensive video documentaries workshop June-July 2015. Great and understanding bosses...namely the Dean and Peter Hegedus, extremely friendly and helpful administration and technical staff.
    Students of the workshop very eager to learn.
    Great atmosphere to work... Excellent video and editing equipment.

Cons

Difficult and expensive parking area in and around The South Bank Campus. Too bad the parking system is under the Brisbane Council control.

10. "Summer Research Fellowship Position"

I worked at Griffith University part-time

Pros

- Was a great learning experience

Cons

- Didn't get many hours as I was only casual/part-time

11. "Can't be too bad - I was there for 16 Years"

Former Employee - Administrative Senior in Gold Coast (Australia)
    Former Employee - Administrative Senior in Gold Coast (Australia)

I worked at Griffith University full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The work environment was fantastic.
    Generally great people - great teamwork!
    Griffith has IT wizards and the best of technology.
    Excellent processes in place in most areas.
    Plenty of opportunities to gain experience in different administrative areas, especially if you are prepared to travel to different campuses.
    Remuneration was very good - particularly as an administrator on the Gold Coast.
    Campus gatherings - eg. Christmas

Cons

This does not apply to all areas, just some I have witnessed:

The work/life balance can be difficult, as a great deal of overtime can be required - usually without payment or leave in lieu (I am talking weeks & weeks of potential flex/overtime here, not just an hour or two).
    Many times I witnessed long-term, hard-working administrators leave after having the life sucked out of them, only to be replaced by two people.
    Parking - Parking - Parking - it is always a problem!

Advice to Management

When staff meet with you to advise you that they are struggling with their workload - listen! Don't lose a great worker by penny-pinching, only to have to replace them with two people!